General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TT Bike or Aero Road Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-06-29 6:17 AM

Subject: TT Bike or Aero Road Bike
Hi there! I'm new to the forum. I'm entering my 3rd season of triathlon and I'm looking to purchase a new bike. At the end of the summer, I'll be doing my first 70.3 (flat bicycle course) and next year I'd like to give IMLP a try. I was in Lake Placid recently and rode one loop of the bicycle course. I used my entry level Trek road bike, which doesn't fit me properly (and somehow I survived). I've had my current bike professionally fitted 3-4 times, but no matter what its still uncomfortable in the saddle area. And yes, I've tried various saddles as well. I'm just giving up on my road bike at this point.

I recently tested a Cannondale Slice with the Di2 shifting and really liked the bike a lot (and it's within my budget). My only concern is the handlebars. I realized during the test ride that I use the drops a lot because I felt quiet freaked out not having the drops when breaking. Everyone tells me that it's a matter of getting used to the new setup of a TT bike. This has caused me to re-think a TT bike and consider an Aero Road bike instead. I was looking at the Fuji Transonic 2.1 because it also has Di2 shifting and is within my budget. I mainly ride to either train for triathlon or to compete in triathlon. I don't typically do Sunday group rides or fondos. My #1 concern is feeling stable and comfortable on the bike, especially on a hilly course like Lake Placid. So, am I the only person who feels freaked out going from a road bike to a TT bike? And would I be making a mistake purchasing an aero-road bike for long course triathlon.

Thank you in advance for your input. I'm really struggling with this decision.

2016-06-29 6:22 AM
in reply to: art-gal

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: TT Bike or Aero Road Bike

If the TT bike is setup properly for you then it really is just a matter of getting used to it.

As for whether it would be a mistake to go with the aero road bike, that depends on your goals.  If you want to be as fast as possible then the TT bike is the best option (again assuming it is setup properly for you).

2016-06-29 8:45 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I'm like you, I don't really ride in groups and when I do the groups are small and are cool with me.  I went with a Tribike after a year and a half of starting tri's.  First it was on MTB, then an ill fitting RB and finally a TB that was fitted for me.  Best move ever.  Once I got riding with it I quickly adapted to the position, its so much more comfortable and steady.  I have no issues with it on descents, after low 30 mph I tuck in on the aerobars and slowly gain speed or don't lose any speed.  I've been to 50mph downhill without issue.

IMHO, if tri's are in your future why waste the watts.  Think about having speed at the lowest wattage lost to items such as aero drag and rolling resistance. Take a read of this article if you haven't already.  Is shows you how much wattage can be save aero wise between a RB with several setups vs a TB with several setups.  Two ways to look at it, go faster at the same wattage or go the same speed (or slightly faster) at a lower wattage and have plenty of reserves for the run.

My vote is for the...

2016-06-29 12:00 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Based on the article, a Road Bike with clip on aero bars and a TT helmet is about the same as a TT bike with road helmet. Adding the TT helmet is huge. If you want the flexibility to ride with groups even a little, I would go with a properly fit road bike, Redshift aero bars/ adjustable seatpost package. Then you can choose to add the TT helmet or not

It would be interesting to see the same test but with a new seatpost to adjust to the clip on bars that would open up the hips. ie how much power is lost from the closed hip position when using clip ons for your road bike?
2016-06-29 12:33 PM

User image

So going from a road bike takes a bit to get used to for sure.

For me I committed to ride mine a little bit every day until it felt natural. Before my retul fit I felt very wobbly and fearful. After my fitting which I think was very good and then I was correctly balanced on the bike it took about one week of riding to get used to it.

I don't feel like I'm ever too far away from my brakes on the tt bike. I did lake placid on my tt bike but I did not descend Keene in Aero. Nope I'm too much of a chicken. I went plenty fast anyway :-) It's a great race and you should definitely do it, whatever bike you choose.
2016-06-29 1:00 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Pro

Consider resale.  A tri-bike cuts your possible buyers by about 90%.....you'll end up nearly giving it away.  Not nearly so much with a decent road bike.  Unless you are trying for podium spots a tri-bike is not needed.  And contrary to what you will be lead to believe....you can win triathlons on a road bike.

Yes, a tri bike allows you to get in to a more aero position (how long you can stay there depends on a few variables)......the plus side for a tri bike ends right there.

2016-06-29 2:37 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Left Brain

Consider resale.  A tri-bike cuts your possible buyers by about 90%.....you'll end up nearly giving it away.  Not nearly so much with a decent road bike.  Unless you are trying for podium spots a tri-bike is not needed.  And contrary to what you will be lead to believe....you can win triathlons on a road bike.

Yes, a tri bike allows you to get in to a more aero position (how long you can stay there depends on a few variables)......the plus side for a tri bike ends right there.

Thanks for talking me off the edge of the cliff once again.
I score money occasionally from playing music gigs...nothing major. $150 here, $200 there.
I used to save it up and by jewelry for my wife. But, after she walked in on a burglar not so long ago....we don't have much taste for jewelry.
I've got enough for a decent tri-bike....and I started combing Craigslist. There's some there.

I'm also a goodly way towards a trip to Aruba too. So, not only do I thank you.....my wife thanks you.
Probably smart to think of Aruba for two when I'm thinking of maybe signing up for a full IM next year.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-06-29 2:41 PM
2016-06-29 3:08 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jhaack39

I score money occasionally from playing music gigs...nothing major. $150 here, $200 there.
I used to save it up and by jewelry for my wife. But, after she walked in on a burglar not so long ago....we don't have much taste for jewelry.
I've got enough for a decent tri-bike....and I started combing Craigslist. There's some there.

I'm also a goodly way towards a trip to Aruba too. So, not only do I thank you.....my wife thanks you.
Probably smart to think of Aruba for two when I'm thinking of maybe signing up for a full IM next year.

I am curious. What did you decide to do ?
2016-06-29 3:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Exton, PA

I always tell people they should get a road bike first, it's much more versatile. If you have the money later and really want a tri bike go for it.
2016-06-29 3:21 PM

Originally posted by marcag

I haven't. But....every time I start looking at tri-bikes....I get all

"I gotta do this man...I gotta do this. I'll be so much faster, and use so much less energy. Remember when you did your first sprint, and you were one of like 5 people on a hybrid? Remember when you did your first half, and you were like one of 5 people on a road bike? Do you wanna be 'that guy' again?"

And then I start thinking about the fact that I'm out $700-$1300 for a used tri bike, that I'm likely to really only use for a year (I don't plan on doing more than one full IM)...and I had no problems on a road bike on my half. And zero concerns on anything shorter. Even if I'm lucky and can sell it for close to what I paid for it...it'd be a hassle. And I may not actually even "like it". For years people did full IMs on road bikes....at least that's my assumption. I'm sure people still do. I'll be one of them. Will I work a little harder? Sure. Will I finish? Absolutely. Will I finish 10 minutes or even an hour later than I would with a tri bike? Probably. Will I care? Nope.

And, in the end, I've never really cared about being "that guy". I did take some enormous pride blowing by someone with the whoosh whoosh wheels and a bike that cost $3k.....on my air suspended forks, air suspended seat 12 year old hybrid....WITH the little thumb-bell still attached. I still have the plastic cog guard on my road bike and all reflectors. I paid for 'em. I'm gonna get use out of them.

I'm certainly leaning away from it. I just need a talk down every now and then. I'm actually at the point of waffling as to whether I'd even put shorties on my road bike. Grand scheme for me, I don't think it makes a difference. Even if I can 'rent one' for a year for $700-$1300.

Also, if I do a few more gigs.....by spring, I can have enough to take my wife to Aruba. Which would probably go a long way in making up for somelong Saturdays and Sundays that she'd be on her on schlepping kids to lacrosse tournaments and kids' birthday parties and such while I'm out running or riding.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-06-29 3:23 PM
2016-06-29 3:28 PM

User image

Pro

Thanks for talking me off the edge of the cliff once again. I score money occasionally from playing music gigs...nothing major. $150 here, $200 there. I used to save it up and by jewelry for my wife. But, after she walked in on a burglar not so long ago....we don't have much taste for jewelry. I've got enough for a decent tri-bike....and I started combing Craigslist. There's some there. I'm also a goodly way towards a trip to Aruba too. So, not only do I thank you.....my wife thanks you. Probably smart to think of Aruba for two when I'm thinking of maybe signing up for a full IM next year.
I haven't. But....every time I start looking at tri-bikes....I get all "I gotta do this man...I gotta do this. I'll be so much faster, and use so much less energy. Remember when you did your first sprint, and you were one of like 5 people on a hybrid? Remember when you did your first half, and you were like one of 5 people on a road bike? Do you wanna be 'that guy' again?" And then I start thinking about the fact that I'm out $700-$1300 for a used tri bike, that I'm likely to really only use for a year (I don't plan on doing more than one full IM)...and I had no problems on a road bike on my half. And zero concerns on anything shorter. Even if I'm lucky and can sell it for close to what I paid for it...it'd be a hassle. And I may not actually even "like it". For years people did full IMs on road bikes....at least that's my assumption. I'm sure people still do. I'll be one of them. Will I work a little harder? Sure. Will I finish? Absolutely. Will I finish 10 minutes or even an hour later than I would with a tri bike? Probably. Will I care? Nope. And, in the end, I've never really cared about being "that guy". I did take some enormous pride blowing by someone with the whoosh whoosh wheels and a bike that cost $3k.....on my air suspended forks, air suspended seat 12 year old hybrid....WITH the little thumb-bell still attached. I still have the plastic cog guard on my road bike and all reflectors. I paid for 'em. I'm gonna get use out of them. I'm certainly leaning away from it. I just need a talk down every now and then. I'm actually at the point of waffling as to whether I'd even put shorties on my road bike. Grand scheme for me, I don't think it makes a difference. Even if I can 'rent one' for a year for $700-$1300. Also, if I do a few more gigs.....by spring, I can have enough to take my wife to Aruba. Which would probably go a long way in making up for somelong Saturdays and Sundays that she'd be on her on schlepping kids to lacrosse tournaments and kids' birthday parties and such while I'm out running or riding.

Oh yeah....the other thing is....if you really want to see what you're (not) missing.....come get mine, it's just hanging in the workout room not getting used right now.  Trek Speed Concept size large......get fit on it and have at it for a race or two. My cousin just used it to train and race  for his first IM so you can't hurt it any worse then he tried to. (it's equipment, I have no attachment to it whatsoever  Give it back at the end of the summer.  I'm riding a road bike and not racing these days. Serious offer.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-06-29 3:36 PM

2016-06-29 3:56 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

My husband rode a really aero BMC last year. Something like http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/bikes/road/endurance-roadmachine-01-ultegra_di2/

I was watching the mid to the back of the pack last year at Ironman Canada (on the meadows road beginning the climb back to Whistler) and I couldn't help but think that the majority of those athletes would probably be faster on an aero road bike than the TT bikes that they were riding.

2016-06-29 4:37 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Oh yeah....the other thing is....if you really want to see what you're (not) missing.....come get mine, it's just hanging in the workout room not getting used right now.  Trek Speed Concept size large......get fit on it and have at it for a race or two. My cousin just used it to train and race  for his first IM so you can't hurt it any worse then he tried to. (it's equipment, I have no attachment to it whatsoever  Give it back at the end of the summer.  I'm riding a road bike and not racing these days. Serious offer.

Thanks for the offer. I think before I'd even think about maybe weighing the possibility of even considering something like that....
I've got a connection at a bike store. They could put some pedals on one and let me ride around the parking lot....."just to see"....
If I haven't even bothered to do that, I'm not putting the energy even to that.....I think that's sort of telling as well.
2016-06-29 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the offer. I think before I'd even think about maybe weighing the possibility of even considering something like that....
I've got a connection at a bike store. They could put some pedals on one and let me ride around the parking lot....."just to see"....
If I haven't even bothered to do that, I'm not putting the energy even to that.....I think that's sort of telling as well.

Again curious, why are you eyeing an aero road bike ? Why not a an "endurance road bike" or a regular road bike ?

2016-06-29 5:47 PM
in reply to: jeng

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jeng

My husband rode a really aero BMC last year. Something like http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/bikes/road/endurance-roadmachine-01-ultegra_di2/

I was watching the mid to the back of the pack last year at Ironman Canada (on the meadows road beginning the climb back to Whistler) and I couldn't help but think that the majority of those athletes would probably be faster on an aero road bike than the TT bikes that they were riding.

I'd love to get some shorty bars on a new Madone.

2016-06-29 7:08 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain Oh yeah....the other thing is....if you really want to see what you're (not) missing.....come get mine, it's just hanging in the workout room not getting used right now.  Trek Speed Concept size large......get fit on it and have at it for a race or two. My cousin just used it to train and race  for his first IM so you can't hurt it any worse then he tried to. (it's equipment, I have no attachment to it whatsoever  Give it back at the end of the summer.  I'm riding a road bike and not racing these days. Serious offer.
Thanks for the offer. I think before I'd even think about maybe weighing the possibility of even considering something like that.... I've got a connection at a bike store. They could put some pedals on one and let me ride around the parking lot....."just to see".... If I haven't even bothered to do that, I'm not putting the energy even to that.....I think that's sort of telling as well.
Again curious, why are you eyeing an aero road bike ? Why not a an "endurance road bike" or a regular road bike ?

There's some substance to marcag's question.  I can see an aero frame if you are racing draft legal, crits, etc........but for the extra money that frame costs you can get better components on a good frame that's not "aero".  You likely wouldn't even notice the difference between the two at the level we ride.  Wait.....there is almost no way you'd notice a difference.

2016-06-29 8:15 PM
in reply to: #5188937

Thank you for your input. I'm going to have a Guru Fit done tomorrow. I want to bring my road bike and see if they can get it a more comfortable for me. I do have the Red Shift aero bars and the Red Shift seat post on my current RB. I rode 45 miles today and I just can't stand being this uncomfortable in the saddle anymore. I haven't test ridden the aero road bike, so I think I should see how I feel on it before making a final decision.
Thank you again! At least I feel better knowing that an aero road bike may not be the worst choice.
2016-06-30 10:45 AM
in reply to: marcag

I'm not. I think the OP is considering one.

I consider getting a tri-bike, every time I consider anything over a 70.3.
Mainly....because of 'hype' or possibly it's a bit of "keeping up with the Joneses".

Started with sprints (or somewhere between a sprint and an Olympic) and I was amongst a handful on a hybrid/other non-road/tri/TT.
Moved to a plenty good road bike (Madone 3.1.....a "last year's model" a few years ago, from a bike shop that was on the verge (and eventually did) sell out....so I think I got good bang from my buck)
By the time I got up to a HIM, I was once again.....one of a handful of people on a road bike as opposed to a tri/TT.

Usually I'm all for the wisdom of the crowd......except in golf (which I don't play, but would doubt question the wisdom of the crowd) and triathlon. I get the feeling it's a endeavour that people who have the cash will spend the money for things they might not be getting tremendous benefit from.

Only potential legitimate reason I consider is:
I'm thinking about a full IM next year.
Because I've never done one....I sit there and think....IF.....IF....a tri-bike gave me even an extra .5 miles an hour over 112 miles....that's not insignificant and ups my chances of finishing in time. Or, at the very least, if I didn't get the extra .5....IF....IF....I used .05% less energy over those 112, it gives me a much better setup to get through the 26.2 at the end....again, upping my chances of finishing.

All the pros are personal unknowns:
-faster? likely some
-finish the bike using less energy? likely some

Cons:
-$, even if I bought say a $900 used one....and sold it in a few years for $400-$500....still an expensive rental and what are the odds I'd really want to sell unless I gave up the sport entirely....which is doubtful
-no idea if the pros would come to fruition (I think they would, to some degree)
-but, no idea if those pros would actually make a difference....as I'm a completer.

Granted, I don't plan on coming in under the wire...but....really I don't see full IM's as a regular thing for me. And nothing is given. A full is not a half, so...yeah...there is always some doubt. Yes, it'd be a bucket list.....but my IM bucket list entry isn't just to finish. It'd to "race" it to my ability. I think if I do that, I could easily hit the 60-70th percentile of my AG. And that's setting a low bar. I think by the time I pursued training the way I've done in the past....I could hit maybe 50%.

So in the end.....it's evaluating those two "pros" to see if a $400 rental.....or a $900 investment is worth it. I don't really see it. Doesn't mean that my stupidity won't win out and I fall into the trap.
2016-06-30 10:46 AM

I'm not. I think the OP is considering one.

I consider getting a tri-bike, every time I consider anything over a 70.3.
Mainly....because of 'hype' or possibly it's a bit of "keeping up with the Joneses".

Started with sprints (or somewhere between a sprint and an Olympic) and I was amongst a handful on a hybrid/other non-road/tri/TT.
Moved to a plenty good road bike (Madone 3.1.....a "last year's model" a few years ago, from a bike shop that was on the verge (and eventually did) sell out....so I think I got good bang from my buck)
By the time I got up to a HIM, I was once again.....one of a handful of people on a road bike as opposed to a tri/TT.

Usually I'm all for the wisdom of the crowd......except in golf (which I don't play, but would doubt question the wisdom of the crowd) and triathlon. I get the feeling it's a endeavour that some (not "all", obviously) people who have the cash will spend the money for things they might not be getting tremendous benefit from.

Only potential legitimate reason I consider is:
I'm thinking about a full IM next year.
Because I've never done one....I sit there and think....IF.....IF....a tri-bike gave me even an extra .5 miles an hour over 112 miles....that's not insignificant and ups my chances of finishing in time. Or, at the very least, if I didn't get the extra .5....IF....IF....I used .05% less energy over those 112, it gives me a much better setup to get through the 26.2 at the end....again, upping my chances of finishing.

All the pros are personal unknowns:
-faster? likely some
-finish the bike using less energy? likely some

Cons:
-$, even if I bought say a $900 used one....and sold it in a few years for $400-$500....still an expensive rental and what are the odds I'd really want to sell unless I gave up the sport entirely....which is doubtful
-no idea if the pros would come to fruition (I think they would, to some degree)
-but, no idea if those pros would actually make a difference....as I'm a completer.

Granted, I don't plan on coming in under the wire...but....really I don't see full IM's as a regular thing for me. And nothing is given. A full is not a half, so...yeah...there is always some doubt. Yes, it'd be a bucket list.....but my IM bucket list entry isn't just to finish. It'd to "race" it to my ability. I think if I do that, I could easily hit the 60-70th percentile of my AG. And that's setting a low bar. I think by the time I pursued training the way I've done in the past....I could hit maybe 50%.

So in the end.....it's evaluating those two "pros" to see if a $400 rental.....or a $900 investment is worth it. I don't really see it. Doesn't mean that my stupidity won't win out and I fall into the trap.
2016-06-30 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec
IMHO.

I agree with the comments:
- Road Bike before TT.
- Why an Aero Frame? I will go further and faster if I am not in total pain. How aero is aero?

By reading your posts, it seems that your biggest limiter is comfort. You are having no luck getting dialled into a comfort zone on the saddle so even a relaxed ride to the corner store to get a pint of milk is painful. How can you get in a good training ride or race with that going on?

Years ago I bought a new road bike, a decent one. I never got comfortable, hand and feet numbness, shoulders sore, saddle hell. I changed peddles, shoes 3x, saddles 3x, raised the handlebars. Nothing worked. The frame was my size. For awhile I chalked it up to crappy fitness and fat butt.

Then I tuned up my 15 years old hybrid bike and started to ride it. Same fat butt and crappy fitness but no pain and no numbness.

This year I bought a new road bike and like you I was drooling over a TT Bike. The bike shop guy talked me out of the TT bike. I am glad he did and I am in love with my new road bike. Have put on some good milage, and an Olympic in Tremblant last weekend and love it. Yeh, if I just keep mashing the peddles and stay in one position too long, I get uncomfortable but with a bit of movement all is good. Night and day over my old road bike.

I still want a TT Bike.
2016-06-30 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by notquitethere Based on the article, a Road Bike with clip on aero bars and a TT helmet is about the same as a TT bike with road helmet. Adding the TT helmet is huge. 

Perhaps, but the comfort and handling difference between a road bike with clip ons and a tri bike is huge.  A road bike with clip on aero bars doesn't do nearly enough to ride comfortably in aero for long distances while still being a great handling bike. 

Remember the purpose of a tri bike is to put the huge non-aerodynamic rider in the best possible low-air-drag position known as "aero position".  The bike has significant changes to the geometry of the entire bike to accommodate this. I'm going to link some images off the Internet from http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml,you should read the article.

geometry wireframe

And here's another image showing real bikes and how the tri bike rotates the entire rider so the hip angle in aero is still about the same as the road bike rider.  Tri bike aero position isn't just bending at the waist. That's why a road bike with clip-ons isn't the same thing.  At all.

Here's an image that's floated around a while (from another article http://gearwestbike.com/articles/tri-bike-or-road-bike-pg54.htm)

tri / road bike overlay

Pretty clearly shows the differences in geometry.

Edited by brucemorgan 2016-06-30 1:56 PM

2016-06-30 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by art-gal Hi there! I'm new to the forum. I'm entering my 3rd season of triathlon and I'm looking to purchase a new bike. At the end of the summer, I'll be doing my first 70.3 (flat bicycle course) and next year I'd like to give IMLP a try. I was in Lake Placid recently and rode one loop of the bicycle course. I used my entry level Trek road bike, which doesn't fit me properly (and somehow I survived). I've had my current bike professionally fitted 3-4 times, but no matter what its still uncomfortable in the saddle area. And yes, I've tried various saddles as well. I'm just giving up on my road bike at this point. I recently tested a Cannondale Slice with the Di2 shifting and really liked the bike a lot (and it's within my budget). My only concern is the handlebars. I realized during the test ride that I use the drops a lot because I felt quiet freaked out not having the drops when breaking. Everyone tells me that it's a matter of getting used to the new setup of a TT bike. This has caused me to re-think a TT bike and consider an Aero Road bike instead. I was looking at the Fuji Transonic 2.1 because it also has Di2 shifting and is within my budget. I mainly ride to either train for triathlon or to compete in triathlon. I don't typically do Sunday group rides or fondos. My #1 concern is feeling stable and comfortable on the bike, especially on a hilly course like Lake Placid. So, am I the only person who feels freaked out going from a road bike to a TT bike? And would I be making a mistake purchasing an aero-road bike for long course triathlon. Thank you in advance for your input. I'm really struggling with this decision.

Well, only you can decide if you are making a mistake buying an aero road bike for HIM and IM, but IMHO yes it's a mistake for long course. A tri bike is the right tool for the job of racing HIM and IM triathlons.

You have an uncomfortable road bike.  Perhaps it's uncomfortable because it never really fits you as you say.  What kind of Trek is it (specifically the year, model, size numbers) and the Cannondale Slice what is the year, model, size.  You should be looking into a fitting methodology from SlowTwitch's founder called "stack and reach" (look it up).

You could get a comfortable, well fitting road bike and be happy, but you are giving up a lot of time on an IM.  The road bike position is just so non-aerodynamic that the rest of the aero goodies make little difference.  And if you're going to put a clip-on bars on it, and ride it in a semi-aero position, then just get a tri bike and do it right.

2016-06-30 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
No question a tri bike is more aero than a road bike with clip-on aero bars, assuming each is properly fit. But comfort is a huge issue too- not just for competition but during those endless hours of long training rides. IMHO if you do not feel 'stable' on the bike riding roads during training you will likely ride less. Do not feel that you MUST get a tri bike to finish a long tri. In AG 70.3's you will see many road bikes being ridden, including by athletes posting some very respectable times. And in 2010, the women's 70.3 Ironman world champ Jodie Swallow rode a road bike to (IIRC) the 3rd fastest bike leg that year.
http://staging.iamspecialized.com/news-article/swallow-takes-the-70...

I invested in a tri bike a few years ago, and no doubt I am faster on it than on my best road bike with aerobars. It was a bit of a help in finishing my first ironman. However a foot injury has kept me out of tri for past couple years and now that tri bike sits gathering dust. I ride for fitness these days (4-5k mi/yr) and 100% prefer my road bike(s) for comfort and better handling in traffic.
2016-07-01 6:25 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by art-gal Hi there! I'm new to the forum. I'm entering my 3rd season of triathlon and I'm looking to purchase a new bike. At the end of the summer, I'll be doing my first 70.3 (flat bicycle course) and next year I'd like to give IMLP a try. I was in Lake Placid recently and rode one loop of the bicycle course. I used my entry level Trek road bike, which doesn't fit me properly (and somehow I survived). I've had my current bike professionally fitted 3-4 times, but no matter what its still uncomfortable in the saddle area. And yes, I've tried various saddles as well. I'm just giving up on my road bike at this point. I recently tested a Cannondale Slice with the Di2 shifting and really liked the bike a lot (and it's within my budget). My only concern is the handlebars. I realized during the test ride that I use the drops a lot because I felt quiet freaked out not having the drops when breaking. Everyone tells me that it's a matter of getting used to the new setup of a TT bike. This has caused me to re-think a TT bike and consider an Aero Road bike instead. I was looking at the Fuji Transonic 2.1 because it also has Di2 shifting and is within my budget. I mainly ride to either train for triathlon or to compete in triathlon. I don't typically do Sunday group rides or fondos. My #1 concern is feeling stable and comfortable on the bike, especially on a hilly course like Lake Placid. So, am I the only person who feels freaked out going from a road bike to a TT bike? And would I be making a mistake purchasing an aero-road bike for long course triathlon. Thank you in advance for your input. I'm really struggling with this decision.

Well, only you can decide if you are making a mistake buying an aero road bike for HIM and IM, but IMHO yes it's a mistake for long course. A tri bike is the right tool for the job of racing HIM and IM triathlons.

You have an uncomfortable road bike.  Perhaps it's uncomfortable because it never really fits you as you say.  What kind of Trek is it (specifically the year, model, size numbers) and the Cannondale Slice what is the year, model, size.  You should be looking into a fitting methodology from SlowTwitch's founder called "stack and reach" (look it up).

You could get a comfortable, well fitting road bike and be happy, but you are giving up a lot of time on an IM.  The road bike position is just so non-aerodynamic that the rest of the aero goodies make little difference.  And if you're going to put a clip-on bars on it, and ride it in a semi-aero position, then just get a tri bike and do it right.

The race distance really doesn't have as much relevance. You're always giving up time when you go with a slower setup. It's more time in an IM, but it's harder to find time in the shorter distances. It really comes back to how much it's worth to push the speed. "Giving up a lot of time on an IM" isn't untrue. The rationale comes back to finding speed though.

Still with keeping the road bike set up as such. If you're swapping out parts, flipping around the seat post and such, you're trying to force the tri position into the road bike.

Having said that, It is possible to do something simple with tri bars. I have a set of shorty aero bars (or DL style) and use them straight out of the road position. These are smaller than many clip-on tri bars and my extensions lead straight into the road bars. There is really nothing extra to hit. I can't do the super tuck you see the pro riders do, but don't do that anyway. Nothing changed about the road position as it's set up close to where I'd use the drops to maybe just slightly higher. I shift my arms in and that's it. Definitely faster than being in any road position while being easy to hold though the gap to previous tri bikes is also still noticeable. I'm still happy with the simplicity of having the one bike.

2016-07-01 11:56 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
For my first 5 years of tris I had a road bike with clip on aerobars. This was nice to have when I was going up steep climbs because I could easily shift while out of the saddle. But hills that steep are far and few between in most tri bike courses. I've had a TT bike for two seasons now and I'm as agile on the TT bike as I was on the road bike. You WILL get used to it. TT bike are NOT for group rides as they are not safe in that environment in my opinion. You cannot react fast enough to sudden movement of the rider in front of you or along side of you if you're on the bars.

If your goal is tris then get a TT bike. It is aerodynamically superior, even going up hill. A long ironman course is not technical enough to need a road bike. I've got a few steep climbs where I ride (5-8% average over 0.5 to 1.0 miles, peak at 14-20%) and I'm no faster on the road bike than I am on the TT bike for long rides.

At first ride conservatively until you get more cozy with it. Start with your arm pads max. width, then over time move them inwards which will improve your aero position. When they're wider apart it's easier to control the bike, steering etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TT Bike or Aero Road Bike Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9202 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac

Aero road bikes vs non aero road bikes

Started by gzh6464
Views: 11936 Posts: 13

2013-05-16 10:57 PM alexlhh

How Aero is Aero (road bike with clip ons vs TT etc)

Started by rc63413
Views: 962 Posts: 2

2010-04-13 2:08 PM Dlaxman31

TT Bike vs Road Bike Drafting

Started by jcbolton
Views: 3073 Posts: 6

2009-08-31 11:15 AM jcbolton

TT Bike vs Road bike tube shape?

Started by ezfast88
Views: 967 Posts: 5

2008-03-28 1:08 PM trophytaker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : March 24, 2011
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : January 29, 2007
author : sportfactory
When first going aero, your shop should begin by putting you in the least aggressive position. This means the aerobar pads will be almost level or just below the saddle.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.