General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's wrong with my hand? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-05 5:46 PM

Subject: What's wrong with my hand?
So I'm trying hard to get back into shape, and my bike rides are finally getting longer (around 2 hours for 30 miles right now).

After a 2 hour ride yesterday I started losing feeling in my left hand. I eventually got it back, and I have no problem moving it, I just lack dexterity and strength in it. It doesn't hurt, it is just pretty worthless. Any thoughts on what this could be, and if I should be worried or not?

2016-07-05 6:02 PM
in reply to: Fat2FitAggie

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: What's wrong with my hand?
Sounds like it might be a bike fit issue. Have you had a professional bike fit done?
2016-07-05 7:07 PM
in reply to: 3mar

Yes but I was 60 pounds lighter so enough has changed to warrant a new fitting.
2016-07-06 1:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
could also be that you have a slightly pinched nerve in your neck or shoulder.
2016-07-06 7:26 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Lets keep things simple.

You just started riding again, you may have a death grip on the bars. Relax, and move your hands around every couple minutes. You are probably putting extra force on your hands right now because of the extra weight. As you drop weight and your core strength increases, there will be less force on your hands.
2016-07-06 8:14 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by mike761

Lets keep things simple.

You just started riding again, you may have a death grip on the bars. Relax, and move your hands around every couple minutes. You are probably putting extra force on your hands right now because of the extra weight. As you drop weight and your core strength increases, there will be less force on your hands.

I agree with the above. I just bought a road bike. While my fit may not be perfect.....it's not awful. I rode 3:20 on the tri bike last Saturday with no numbness. If I don't move my hands around on the road bike, they'll go numb in a few miles.

I think it's just a matter of getting used to the new position(s). My fit actually feels really good.

2016-07-06 8:34 AM

User image

, North Carolina
It was happening to me a lot. But, the more I rode and the more I moved my hands around it started to go away. Just keep riding and keep moving your hands around.
2016-07-06 9:04 AM

User image

I wasn't using padding on my aero bars when I first started long trainer rides. I lost them in a bike accident and was too lazy to order a new set at the time. After a month or so, I would lose the dexterity in my left thumb. I wasn't able to pinch anything the majority of the time. Once I put the new padding on the aero bars, problem resolved itself within a day or so.

Just my .02

I'd go with the group on this and it's probably just a bit of death grip on the bars. Try some padded gloves, move your hand position around a bit.
2016-07-06 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I've had 2 different issues:
1. Riding on the hoods on my road bike, I sometimes get numbness in two fingers that goes away when I take the pressure off.
2. When I first got my tri bike, I had too aggressive a fit with my aerobars too low. After a long ride of around 50 miles, I had weakness in my left hand that gradually came back after several weeks. This was due to problems in my neck. I have since changed to a MUCH longer stem so I don't have to tilt my head back as far to see up the road. I changed to my current stem after several iterations of trying progressively longer stems. I ended up with the longest that would fit to correct the problem.
2016-07-06 9:46 AM
in reply to: nickster

Many thanks to everybody for the input! Going to start experimenting with the fit, bought some gloves with more padding (not suggested here but figure it wouldn't hurt), and focusing on the run until the strength comes back in the hand.

I really appreciate all of the input! My girlfriend was worrying and wanting me to go to the doctor, but I don't think that's necessary.
2016-07-06 9:54 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Fat2FitAggie

Many thanks to everybody for the input! Going to start experimenting with the fit, bought some gloves with more padding (not suggested here but figure it wouldn't hurt), and focusing on the run until the strength comes back in the hand.

I really appreciate all of the input! My girlfriend was worrying and wanting me to go to the doctor, but I don't think that's necessary.

Give the bike a rest for a couple of days to a week.

Don't let your hand get that bad again, wiggle your fingers while you ride if your feeling any tingling or numbness keep them moving until it goes away.

FYI- gloves can make it worse, I actually have no issues without gloves but when I used gloves I have some. The reason I use gloves is for group rides, you never know what's going to happen in a group ride and if I go down the glove will save some skin.

2016-07-06 10:38 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761
FYI- gloves can make it worse, I actually have no issues without gloves but when I used gloves I have some. The reason I use gloves is for group rides, you never know what's going to happen in a group ride and if I go down the glove will save some skin.

Be careful with the gloves. Especially if you have gained some weight and the gloves are a little snug, they can create pressure points that cause problems for you. Try different brands if you can. I have a few different pairs of gloves, 2 are great but one of them sucks. Not sure why I haven't thrown them out, but every time I put that pair on my hands start to go numb.
2016-07-06 2:20 PM
in reply to: notquitethere

Interesting note on the gloves, thanks for sharing. The gloves have helped quite a bit with wrist pain, and overall ride comfort so far, I hadn't considered the gloves could be contributing. My hands tend to sweat a lot so without gloves it's hard to keep a good grip in the handlebars and my hands slip a lot.

I'll experiment with some different gloves.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's wrong with my hand? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What's wrong with Clearwater? Pages: 1 2

Started by Bripod
Views: 2018 Posts: 26

2008-07-27 10:39 AM mwunderle

Swimmer's Shoulder- What's wrong with my stroke? (Video)

Started by Beanster
Views: 1970 Posts: 22

2007-03-12 5:09 AM Beanster

What's wrong with this picture? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 4345 Posts: 79

2006-04-05 7:14 AM CptnJackSparrow

What's wrong with my hands???

Started by velocomp
Views: 1067 Posts: 6

2005-10-01 2:39 AM AdventureBear

What's wrong with me?

Started by Det
Views: 656 Posts: 3

2005-08-11 10:20 PM PrimeCase
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 5, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've noticed when running that my hands start to swell. I started running with a fuel belt and started sipping water about 15 minutes into my run. It seemed to help for a few runs, but not all.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : April 23, 2009
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.

date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.

date : March 19, 2007
Stability Ball Hand Opposite Knee Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : July 5, 2005
author : bflrich
comments : 1
What makes the difference between success and failure is not how often you fall but how often you rise. Next time you’re chewing that second cookie and you realize it’s not what you planned on...STOP!

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!