General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Mental strength during training Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-06 4:29 AM

Subject: Mental strength during training
Hi all,

Got my first triathlon (full) in August and was wondering how you guys force yourselves to carry on during training when you get that desire to quit.

I think (know) that I'm a bit of a quitter when there is nothing riding on it e.g. during training. Our lake is 800m and 9 times out of 10 when I swim past the exit ramp I find an excuse to get out - when I do I get so angry with myself for being a quitter and resolve to not to it again...needless to say it does!

Cheers

2016-07-06 10:40 AM
in reply to: Rossi7799

Subject: RE: Mental strength during training
Originally posted by Rossi7799

Hi all,

Got my first triathlon (full) in August and was wondering how you guys force yourselves to carry on during training when you get that desire to quit.

I think (know) that I'm a bit of a quitter when there is nothing riding on it e.g. during training. Our lake is 800m and 9 times out of 10 when I swim past the exit ramp I find an excuse to get out - when I do I get so angry with myself for being a quitter and resolve to not to it again...needless to say it does!

Cheers

"want it"?

For me....I "want it". If you're going for a full, I'm assuming you've probably already got a good deal of fitness under your belt and maybe don't have the same rewards I had. I didn't have significant fitness experienc4e when I signed up for my first sprint. When I started training for a half, the plan eventually called for 9 miles....then 10.....then 11...12...
Being that I'd only run 9 once before (kinda by accident) and never more than 6 a couple half dozen times......

Achieving those distances was a prize in and of itself. Granted, the last few weeks were tough. Lots of longer sessions. Anxiety and anxiousness kicking in too. Both frustrating and motivating at the same time.
2016-07-08 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
What desire to quit? The only time I stop racing or training is to prevent an injury.
2016-08-06 3:38 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I know exactly what you mean. That's why I will never be able to train for longer distances than sprint, which I am happy with.
2016-08-30 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I don't know how to help on the swim, given the setup, but on a run or bike you can have someone drop you off the amount of miles from home, and then you have to finish the workout or else you don't get home!
2016-08-30 3:32 PM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
I always lie to myself that "ill only do a short run (just to get out the door). maybe 4 miles." Then after a few miles I start feeling good and then change my game plan "yeah I can do 12mi" and typically bite off more than I can chew. Then when the going gets tough around the later miles I have no choice but to grind through the final bit to get home. Endorphins kick in at the finish and I'm primed for the next time.

this doesn't work in a pool. in a pool may I suggest a swim partner. I know that im less likely to quit early when there is someone else there keeping me honest haha.

2016-08-31 10:45 AM
in reply to: jckcrlln

Originally posted by jckcrlln

I always lie to myself that "ill only do a short run (just to get out the door). maybe 4 miles."

I'm kinda the same way with running/swimming (cycling is different....I'm more likely to add miles!)...except I'll go out fully intending to do X.
At some point I start thinking X-Y sounds good. But, I find almost EVERY time that if I say...."Fine, X-Y it is...but only if you go X-Y+1."....that once I do that +1...I'm good to go to complete the full X.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Mental strength during training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Strength Training Program Question

Started by jsand25
Views: 714 Posts: 1

2009-11-03 4:40 PM jsand25

New to Training...Mom from Texas

Started by sbarnard
Views: 1044 Posts: 10

2003-12-09 1:59 PM Ron

Training for first triathlon

Started by Jo newbee
Views: 1403 Posts: 5

2003-11-05 1:37 PM medic

My introduction & how to get started training?

Started by jwidner
Views: 1267 Posts: 5

2003-10-28 3:14 PM jwidner

Happy Training

Started by Onepela
Views: 973 Posts: 3

2003-10-20 8:55 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : July 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
Is strength training critical for a triathlete? How can strength training help an athlete improve performance? What are the downsides?
date : May 22, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 2
This article looks into the types of exercises triathletes need to be utilizing, and why traditional methods are of little use.

date : April 27, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 5
An insight into how to train strength and condition for triathlon and endurance sports success
date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.

date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.
date : February 28, 2005
author : gsmacleod
The role of concentration and focus in athletic training and competition.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.