General Discussion Triathlon Talk » why has this place become so quite Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-07-08 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: why has this place become so quite
There does not not seem to be as much activity here as there was 3 or 4 years ago.

Is the sport declining that much? or are there just not that many new particpants these days.

2016-07-08 1:50 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

Extreme Veteran
WI
Subject: RE: why has this place become so quite
Wondering the same thing, but I don't think the sport is declining as much as plateu-ing. I haven't seen a response to an email from a week ago - but people are looking at it. My guess is that the "usual," "non-beginners" are training. There's also a plethora of tracking options out there for experienced people and some have started their own fb groups and such.

I've come back to this site after a couple years of rest (read: injuries). It's a good tool to remind myself of things I've forgotten and to get local info.
2016-07-08 1:53 PM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Maybe your avatar is scaring folks off.

I have no frame of reference beyond the last two years. Has the activity really dropped that much?

2016-07-08 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

There does not not seem to be as much activity here as there was 3 or 4 years ago.

Is the sport declining that much? or are there just not that many new particpants these days.

Discussions moved to Facebook. Every IM now has a Facebook discussion page.
2016-07-08 2:50 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by BuckHamilton There does not not seem to be as much activity here as there was 3 or 4 years ago. Is the sport declining that much? or are there just not that many new particpants these days.

That hasn't seemed to slow down ST ?  That's primarily long course also.

I mentioned in the other thread in COJ about this, BT site is too broken up with sub forums.  Between that and the mentor groups it's so segregated that the little chat that goes on here now seems like crickets. 

2016-07-08 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I do think Facebook has a lot to do with it...forums in general have declined because of groups on social media

2016-07-08 3:26 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
BT definitely isn't the buzzing community it was when I found it over 10 years ago. Now there's FB, Strava, Garmin, etc. There have been a few threads that pop up now and again asking "where is everyone" etc, and it always comes back to the same things. I think Ron's decision to consolidate the forums helped, but more consolidation would help even more.
Plus....its sunny out....I'm training! I'll see everyone here for lots of chit chat during off season.
2016-07-08 3:39 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Sarasota, Florida
I would think the organization responds to traffic. I love this site for the training log and the help I have received in the past, but it is probably the slowest community I'm a member of. I'm new to tri so can't comment but it's hard to recruit people into for me at least, but I've never been much a recruiter. It seems I always have people inviting me to OCR events and color 5k, zombie 5k, super hero 5k obstacle 5k, midnight 5k, beer chug 5k, nude 5k, 5k pride 5k etc.

Triathlon is my favorite sport at the moment but it's not the best spectator sport. The Major League Triathlon is a pretty cool idea that helps some but it seems to be hiding in regards to marketing and I kind of see it as an incremental improvement than a radical game changer. I imagine holding events in a stadium and track would be the best approach but I'm rambling now.

Anyway, I try to get people on board it's always "I'm a terrible swimmer", and when I recommend a duathlon it's "but that will take funds from my OCRs".
I might convince a couple to do a duathlon though.
2016-07-08 3:53 PM
in reply to: runtim23

I am relatively new to this site but I have been on a few hunting forums for 15 years and have seen the same thing. I think people just get tired after a while. They have seen threads / topics on every subject so many times that the material is no longer fresh. They've answered the same questions dozens of times. It gets old after a while.

New blood on a forum is good, but with the newbies comes a lot of very basic questions and subject matter that some of the old hands don't care to rehash for the 10,000th time.

I would also suspect that social media has siphoned off participants from traditional bulletin board forums, although I am not a social media user. I waste enough time on forums and don't have the time or inclination to stick my nose into facebook pages / twitter feeds.
2016-07-08 3:58 PM
in reply to: 0

I am also new here. I will try to post here more often. I came here to ask for help and a lot of people helped me. I am greatful for all those who responded to my questions. I will try to "pay it forward" and answer when I know something.

I did notice there are a lot of lurkers here. I was also a lurker for a while. The post I recently made had over 300 views but only 4 or 5 people responded. Maybe people are shy.

I also think your avatar is scaring.

Edited by Carolfrontier 2016-07-08 3:58 PM
2016-07-08 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I posted this last November when the topic came up...

Traffic to this site is probably about 1/10th what it was prior to the site upgrade and redesign from a few years ago.  Look at the Iron Distance Race Group forums.  Remember when the yearly IMAZ and IMFL threads had thousands of posts?  IMFL is tomorrow and this year's thread has 78 posts, yep... 78!

BT has a traffic problem, not so much a forum aesthetics problem.  People left during the upgrade/redesign and never came back.  It's just that simple.  Not sure why that happened but it did.  I think it was a perfect storm.  a) The site was down a lot longer than planned so people moved on to other things.  b) The rise of social media sites like FB, Twitter, and Strava.  c) The moderation here was just ridiculous at times and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. The heavy handed moderation did not allow for an even discussion and debate.  BT became a sanctuary for either new, bad, or unqualified coaches or individuals to dispense what was often times just terrible advice.  When called out on it there was often some moderator who would chime in and threaten to ban or suspend people for arguing.  I could understand if things got nasty or name calling ensued but that rarely ever happened here.  I understand BT was the antithesis of the perceived blunt snarkiness of Slowtwitch but that "everyone's a winner" and kumbaya attitude was almost as off-putting as the heavy handed moderation.  d) The number of tri participants (especially new triathletes) has been on a steady decline the last few years and this site is called Beginner Triathlete.  Less beginner triathletes means less people going to a site called Beginner Triathlete.  e) The use of smart phones to access the internet.  BT's full site just doesn't play well with mobile phones and the mobile site just stinks.

I think the rise of Facebook, Strava, and Twitter use for athletes hit BT much harder than Slowtwitch because ST caters more to the hardcore and I think the social media sites siphon off more of the casual triathlete/user, which is more of BT's user base than ST's.

2016-07-08 9:11 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by BuckHamilton There does not not seem to be as much activity here as there was 3 or 4 years ago. Is the sport declining that much? or are there just not that many new particpants these days.

That hasn't seemed to slow down ST ?  That's primarily long course also.

I mentioned in the other thread in COJ about this, BT site is too broken up with sub forums.  Between that and the mentor groups it's so segregated that the little chat that goes on here now seems like crickets. 

ST is the place for hard-core triathlete discussions that can't really take place on Facebook. As much as people love to complain about Dan, he does a very fair job of letting the discussions take place.
2016-07-08 11:27 PM

User image

Over the top moderation of the forums.  Like it or not, part of the reason people like forums is to put on their boxing gloves and show how smart they are.  Of course there are lines you shouldn't cross, but when you moderate too much people get turned off.  Also, highly confrontational threads draw the most traffic and views just because of human nature...not threads that have very good information in it where everyone agrees.  

2016-07-08 11:48 PM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member

I've been a member since November 2004!  - so pushing on for 12 years on here......yes, one of the old-timers on this site.

I often wonder what the distribution of membership for active BT'ers looks like. Can't be many of us dinosaurs left that are still logging after such a time? But it would also be interesting to know the number who join and then drop away (and of course to know why) -  I'm sure Ron would have some great long term data on members 'lifetime' and churn rates, etc. There can't be too many (small) websites that are still running after so many years?

I had another Australian colleague on BT who joined just before I did and was a very dedicated logger and blogger for over 10 years but then dropped out of sight for a while. I made contact and she had gone off to explore Strava and came back for a while to BT and then the logging became more sporadic and then stopped. I know she didn't drop out of the sport but has moved off to Strava permanently. I never got a clear sense from her about what features made it more attractive than BT. I had a look at Strava but it never really did it for me so I stayed here and have been happy to do so. Can't say that I am looking around either. I think I'll be rusted on here for the foreseeable future (perhaps until either I or BT die! ).

I agree with some of the commentary above about the quietness of the forums - in the early years they were pumping and the observation around the loss of vibrancy of the IM race posts is correct. Now those things seem to have slowed a bit ( a lot). I was never one to comment a lot in forums but did use to weigh in on discussions in the Injury forum (used to have quite a few!). So I am one of those users who just logs data daily and files race reports but this activity is never seen (counted) by forum activity alone. Can't comment on the move to FB as the platform for the forum discussions.

Of course, when you have >11 years worth of daily data on this site it does cross my mind that one day I may not be able to log in anymore - the website folds with no notice and that's it! However, I do export the data regularly but imagine the painfulness of uploading that to somewhere else with different and / or nonexistent data fields to populate and then extract reports...

If Ron or one of the moderators reads this then my advice would be to dig into the data and see if there is a significant (and accelerating) siphoning of people off to other forums and chase down some reasons so adaptations / feature additions can be made to this site if necessary. Probably stating the obvious and you are monitoring trends already.... but that's the two cents worth from a long-timer!

2016-07-09 2:28 AM
in reply to: Konabound

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Another 10+ year member here...

Most of my posting has been done in my state forum and the RR forum. At BT's peak, both were quite active.

Of the people I got to know, most of whom were local/regional, I can't think of a single one who moved on because of the redesign. Sport burnout/emergence of Facebook, etc. would account for most of these former BT'ers. Most are just not active in tri anymore, and maybe get on their bike now and again, but the need for a tri website to visit just doesn't register anymore for these folks. It's a shame the effort the redesign must have taken wrapped up just as a migration was beginning but it was coincidence and nothing more. As has been mentioned, formerly active forums contract all the time. TriNewbiesOnline.com, anyone?

The moderation issue...there's something cited all the time as a catalyst. I lurked on COJ all the time, got pretty familiar with who the douchebags were, and will say that if you got put in time-out/kicked off the board altogether, you had it coming. I never thought of COJ moderation as being heavy-handed in the least. In re. CoJ, one thing that perplexed me back in the day(and still does) is why a tri forum's most or second most active component is made up of people who don't seem to actually do much s/b/r. I'm referring specifically to ST's Lavender Room, where there have been threads about who is/isn't still doing tri and I was genuinely surprised that some of the most active people on that board have long since stopped participating in s/b/r. Why those folks would want to spend the energy posting on the non-tri related part of a triathlon forum is none of my business, but why would the the site owner want to have that part of the forum at all if this demographic is never, ever going to click on one of the ads for goggles/wetsuits/race registration? As with the Lavender Room, COJ seemed to take on a life of it's own and wound up being high maintenance/low reward. I write only as an observer.

I'll continue to use BT as a paying member because I like the logs(I have way too much data accumulated to go anywhere else) but I also like the layout. I'm only racing a few times a year anymore so not likely to post much but I think BT's niche as a home for people looking to get started in tri makes it a good resource for related conversation..sort of the goal for BT from the beginning, que-no?
2016-07-09 4:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

Over the top moderation of the forums.  Like it or not, part of the reason people like forums is to put on their boxing gloves and show how smart they are.  Of course there are lines you shouldn't cross, but when you moderate too much people get turned off.  Also, highly confrontational threads draw the most traffic and views just because of human nature...not threads that have very good information in it where everyone agrees.  

I was more active here I intentionally slowed down for various reasons, mostly related to the way TT works
I did get on the FB group but was removed because apparently I wasn't active enough. Strange but true.
I probably spend more time on ST, because the format of debate they have leads to more quality information.
I am more and more active in PM than in threads.

All three had their pros and cons. FB beng non anymous had a lot more civility than ST and even BT. But the iformat of FB is not ideal for debating specific topics (IMO) and especially not for searching.

BT and ST have better structure for discussing topics. There are some reat threads on both sites with wealth of information. It's unfortunate those threads don't get revived more often rather than restarted ad nauseum.

The Quality of ST info is higher IMO because if you post crap, you will be called out. Not so much here. ST is not ideal for a beginner who would be easily initmidated. So they can get less quality info but less intimidating in one place or higher quality in another.

Maybe we need another forum that combines the best of all 3 worlds :-) Just kidding.

Edited by marcag 2016-07-09 4:33 AM

2016-07-09 6:34 AM
in reply to: marcag

Originally posted by marcagThe Quality of ST info is higher IMO because if you post crap, you will be called out. Not so much here. ST is not ideal for a beginner who would be easily initmidated. So they can get less quality info but less intimidating in one place or higher quality in another.
Interesting comment and I would agree. Triathlon is intimidating enough to a beginner. A friendly portal to ease one's way into the sport and ask questions is what I perceive this site does well. Or has done well for me.
2016-07-09 10:19 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by marcag

The Quality of ST info is higher IMO because if you post crap, you will be called out. Not so much here. ST is not ideal for a beginner who would be easily initmidated.

That's the real issue I've had with BT in the past was not being able to call out people when they post ridiculous stuff or dispense downright horrible advice.  People get crucified on ST for doing that and rightfully so most of the time.  BT was at its most popular when tri was on its most recent swell and that happened to coincide with USAT handing out Level 1 Certifications to anyone who had a pulse.  So a lot of people armed with their shiny new USAT certs, and that had no right coaching anyone, came to newb heavy BT and posted a tremendous amount of crappy advice.  I can't tell you how many times I saw "coaches" advising people they should do a bunch of 20+ mile or 4+ hour runs in IM training because "they need to know what it feels like and train to be out there that long."  That stuff always made me cringe.  But some of us were bullies for calling them out... and a BT calling out was about a tenth as critical as it would have been on ST.

Thankfully, USAT actually made their certifications hard to get and hard to get into.  90% of the people that had USAT certs prior to the more rigorous standards would never have even got into the new Level 1 class.

The moderation and kumbaya attitude here has certainly decreased over the last few years but it's too little too late.  This site has more than one foot in the grave.

2016-07-09 3:13 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Funny never noticed this place was monitored. Slow twitch always seemed to have people that I generally people I stay away from at tris they take it way to serious. I always thought of this as a more laid back place where you could say stupid stuff once in a while and have Some fun and also help some newbs.

To many flame wars over there.
2016-07-09 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by marcag

The Quality of ST info is higher IMO because if you post crap, you will be called out. Not so much here. ST is not ideal for a beginner who would be easily initmidated.

That's the real issue I've had with BT in the past was not being able to call out people when they post ridiculous stuff or dispense downright horrible advice.  People get crucified on ST for doing that and rightfully so most of the time.  BT was at its most popular when tri was on its most recent swell and that happened to coincide with USAT handing out Level 1 Certifications to anyone who had a pulse.  So a lot of people armed with their shiny new USAT certs, and that had no right coaching anyone, came to newb heavy BT and posted a tremendous amount of crappy advice.  I can't tell you how many times I saw "coaches" advising people they should do a bunch of 20+ mile or 4+ hour runs in IM training because "they need to know what it feels like and train to be out there that long."  That stuff always made me cringe.  But some of us were bullies for calling them out... and a BT calling out was about a tenth as critical as it would have been on ST.

Thankfully, USAT actually made their certifications hard to get and hard to get into.  90% of the people that had USAT certs prior to the more rigorous standards would never have even got into the new Level 1 class.

The moderation and kumbaya attitude here has certainly decreased over the last few years but it's too little too late.  This site has more than one foot in the grave.

Ouch, but this is 100% truth. 

I've been visiting BT for ten years, mostly in this forum. I've been a gold member, I've been a bronze member. I've posted advice, I've received advice. As others have said, social media and Facebook race groups have hurt this forum and many other similar sites. They all experience "Facebook drain"

Then there is just the overload of everything else. I have to check my personal email, my work email, text messages, Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, Twitter, SlowTwitch, Beginner Triathlete, on and on ... only so much time.

As others said, some of the other races like mud runs and color runs drain people away from triathlon in general. And then the rise of CrossFit has turned some of those OCD "must train every day" type people away from triathlon and into the Crossfit world.

But there are some BT specific things that I think caused some people to stop reading & posting. 

There was a time when my BT posting and reading went way down because I was sick and tired of some self-described coach coming into every discussion spouting "I Am A Coach!  Hear Me Roar!" 

There was a much-discussed site redesign that made "inspires" and other social-media-ish things much harder.  Mentoring groups also drained traffic off the common Triathlon Talk board.  Less traffic, less connection.

There was a blowup that I missed where apparently long time posters were banned for doing what GMAN is describing.  There was some kind of fight, harsh words, the ban hammer got swung on perhaps the wrong people, and others left in a huff.

2016-07-09 7:18 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Not sure I agree with the premise that the mentor groups have anything to do with it.  The mentor groups are down just as much, if not more, than the main forum.  A couple years ago, it was a full time task to keep up with the posts in the group I Co-Mentor, now we go days without a post.

I think the roots of the slowdown are in the site re-design and the lack of a decent mobile offering.  I'm an IT guy in my day job and now days, if you aren't addressing the mobile users you are losing a very large number of potential users.

I just looked and Ron has Google Analytics running on the site.  He has knows where the traffic is coming in from and where it's going once it's on the site.  He also probably has a pretty good idea what visitor volume is now versus a few years ago.

Edited by k9car363 2016-07-09 7:26 PM

2016-07-10 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
The largest IM 70.3 in the world is Augusta.

There isn't even a thread in the iron distance forum for that race.
2016-07-10 6:45 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

I noticed this too. I was super active myself a few years ago when I was new to everything. I asked questions, I read the every topic, and was super pumped to post my excitement, fears, and horrible workouts on the race group forums. Now I'm a little more experienced and know my weaknesses and don't feel to need to ask questions about why my swim is so slow when I know my catch is bad and my head is too high. I'm don't know everything by any means but I just coach myself and like to read what other people post. I don't post any new topics but I try to respond if I can. I do see a decline in tris in my area though. Races that sold out are now 2/3's full. A local half IM distance race shutdown in Iowa and after IM left Kansas, the number of people who show up for the replacement race is nothing what it used to be. I'm wondering if the sport is dying out or not. There's a strong local Nebraska tri presence on FB (~800 members), which is odd and I think a lot of people are asking questions there.
2016-07-11 7:19 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: why has this place become so quiet

Just taking myself as a case-in-point...

I had to go look at my profile to see when I registered... January of 2006. Ten years and change. I've seen a couple site redesigns here, and the huge dip in traffic seems to have coincided with the last redesign. Correlation does not necessarily mean causation, though, so I won't say that it was the cause.

I've also been on ST since well before I ever pulled BT up on a screen. There was also Tri-Newbies online, but that one blew up yeas ago. Anyway, with the last redesign of ST, I think I've clicked over there maybe 10 times since. I just don't care for the format now.

I haven't done a tri in a couple years, and I may pop into one on a relay later this year. My training now is pretty much all cycling, but I still log it all here.

I still drop through the forums about once a day (but not on weekends), offer up what I feel might be relevant, but my posting numbers are well below what they were a few years ago.

Edited by briderdt 2016-07-11 7:22 AM
2016-07-11 9:35 AM

Originally posted by BuckHamilton

I think.....everyone's busy racing....or on vacation.
No....not really. That's when I get all heated up here. I'm still on a race high hence the time I obviously put into typing this nonsense.

I think it's already been laid out. FB, Strava, etc. have taken over a lot...would be my guess.

Also...I think 'slowness' here could be a sign of increased participation? Seriously. When I started, I knew two people who had any triathlon experience. One hadn't done one in years. The other was the one who encouraged me to get into them, but hadn't done any for awhile. While I was training for my first one, I had a semi-distant FB friend who was training for her first one.

This past year, I have two other semi-distant FB friends who did their first one this year. And at a race on Sunday, I saw a friend of my high schooler and his mom doing their first one.

Could be a chicken/egg thing. I'm now more 'associated' with people who'd tend to do these things? Or more aware? But, in all cases, I've known these folks for several years. Maybe in two of the cases, my participation played some (but not ALL) role in their interest. It may be a lot easier to get information....if you're directly connected with people with experience. Especially if those people aren't all that competitive.

I wonder. The race I just did this weekend is about halfway between a sprint and an Olympic. Some, but not many come from any distance like they would for an Olympic. I would doubt that all but a few of 'elites' come from too far a distance. As far as I know, this was just the third year they added a sprint option. I don't know if that was due to declining participation or just a desire on the part of organizers to attract a wider audience. It's very welcoming to newbs/dabblers, yet accommodating for those who do more than dabble and even the 'joe-pros' as there's cash prizes. Non-threatening, shallow, calm open water, TT start. Almost....lonely(?) in the water.
I didn't do it prior to 2013 and there's no immediately obtainable results prior to 2013
2013 (no sprint) 400 total
2014 390 (long)/80 (sprint)
2015 350 (long)/150 (sprint)
2016 270 (long)/130 (sprint)

Since it's not an Olympic and a very easy course....a dabbler or someone who's a decent athlete (or even not such a decent athlete) could easily gut it out. What I don't know is if dabblers/etc. who previously did the longer course are deciding to do the shorter course. Either way, the total #s are pretty static. A bit down this year....maybe? But....it was SUPER hot last year apparently (I was in Muncie) which could have impacted....and it's been uncharacteristically hot here for the early summer that might have kept some of the dabblers from testing themselves in the last month or two from 'training'. Too many factors to call those total #s anything other than fairly static.

Also, if tri-clubs are getting better as organizations and better at attracting members....that could have an impact here.

Or if there's volume increase in the shorter races (globally, if you will) is attracting more 'dabblers'/etc.....let's face it...they probably don't have the questions about HR monitors, nutrition, competitive advantages of gear. And being that they're a shorter race....in the mind of a dabbler....it's not nearly as important to know the ins/outs/social mores/rules/best practices/strategies/etc. as it is for a more competitive race, or a longer race. So...no need to find people like you all.

Sprints could be "the new 5k". Something people do because "they're fun". Couch-to-5k. Maybe couch-to-sprint is a "thing" now. Cyclists mixing in a short run. Runners, mixing in a short cycle. Meh....anyone can breaststroke a couple hundred yards. There's a zillion fun runs and 5ks. Maybe sprints are just becoming another 'option' for folks who do those kinds of things?

Just spinning wool here. I'll generate some traffic. I'm still on a race high!
Best AG percentile finish in the swim yesterday.
First time ever averaging OVER 20 mph on the bike in a race (came very close in an Olympic and my only 70.3, but not "OVER)
Shaved 6 minutes off my time from 2 years ago (which was a bigger shave than when I moved from a hybrid to a road bike).
Matched a pace for 4 miles that's "an OK time" for me out of the box with no swim/bike beforehand.
Broke 2 hours for this course (and I know it's longer than the first time I did it...the swim is longer)
Technically, I was about 15 seconds over 2 hours, but I went off the bike course within the first mile....argg....probably cost me close to 30 seconds.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-07-11 9:36 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » why has this place become so quite Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

A Great Read -- Why I Became a Triathlete...

Started by croixfan
Views: 642 Posts: 2

2012-02-02 4:20 PM JMINPNW

Importance to you of having a nice pool or OWS place to train in

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1627 Posts: 17

2010-05-28 4:07 PM agarose2000

What says "recovery" quite like schnitzel and bier?

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 776 Posts: 4

2008-09-26 7:16 AM ultrahip_00

Why or why not IM in 2009

Started by Gerrard
Views: 2038 Posts: 24

2008-09-24 10:52 AM cwsiii

Why, oh why, can't I lose weight?

Started by Vaiza
Views: 2234 Posts: 23

2005-08-23 4:46 PM Vaiza