General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for spotty training weeks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-10 7:48 PM

Subject: Advice for spotty training weeks
Hey all,
I just started an 8 week Oly training plan, but only got two runs in for week 2 (0 swim and 0 bike) and week 4 will be tentative as well (maybe two runs, 1 bike and 1 swim). The issue is vacation and work trips. How do you all handle these "off weeks" or how do you adjust expectations? I'm trying to stay optimistic and tell myself because these weeks aren't consecutively missed that I won't lose that much fitness.

Thanks!

2016-07-10 8:40 PM
in reply to: #5190263

User image

Subject: RE: Advice for spotty training weeks
I'm not sure what the correct answer is, but for me if I can't swim and bike I try to get in more runs.

I have been away from home a lot this summer and haven't been able to take my bike. I have done my best to swim in the hotel pools or make the local lap swim hours but have just supplemented with runs in the early morning (before everyone else is up on vacation or before my work responsibilities) when all else fails.

I was going to ask a similar question tonight about if people who travel but can't take their bike use the hotel stationary bikes as their bike workouts or if they just do without biking while away from home? I struggle to get a valuable workout in on "excercise bikes."
2016-07-11 8:37 AM
in reply to: tem375

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
If you are still staying somewhat active, then you probably won't lose much fitness. Like the previous poster, I tend to increase running when I can't get to the bike or a pool while on vacation. Just be mindful of your run workouts and don't hurt yourself. Many hotels will have an exercise bike and while these aren't perfect, it is a chance to get on the bike for a bit as well. Best of luck!
2016-07-11 9:48 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

Sarasota, Florida
If you're in pretty good shape with some history of increased volume, would making up miles/hours be beneficial? It seems I always have a vacation or stormy weather that interrupts 1-2 weeks and I have considered making up the loss with extra workouts or adding 50% (just a cozy number) to my bike or swim, not run obviously, thankfully, that's easy to sneak in.
2016-07-11 5:22 PM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Don't let a non-perfect week domino into the next week.

1. Accept the reality that you missed some workout for either good or bad reasons and those can't be made up.
2. Revisit your long plan to see what needs to change based on what you missed.
3. Don't ruin the next weeks plan by overdoing things to "make up" for missed work. You may need to scale back distances if you are in a building phase.
4. Get out there again. Sure, you can't get last week back but you have this week.

Getting to the start of the race as healthy and prepared as possible is your goal. Missing workouts means you may bring less fitness to the line, panicked training typically results in you brining fatigue and injury to the line.

2016-07-11 5:45 PM
in reply to: 0

Sarasota, Florida
Thank you.

Edited by runtim23 2016-07-11 5:45 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for spotty training weeks Rss Feed