General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body weight before and after bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-11 1:42 AM

Subject: Body weight before and after bike
Hello Friends,

I am a beginner entering in to IM 70.3, i am trying to understand the loss of weight before and after training and how much fluid i should be taking to compensate the loss...

I did an hour +10 mins (70 mins) of indoor bike ride to cover a distance of 40Km,

weighed myself before training = 72.1 kgs
weighed myself after training = 73.6 kgs..

During training, i also had 1200 ml of electrolytes + 150 gm of carbo hydrates..
My assumption was 72.1 + 1.2 kg (water) + 150 gm (gel) = 73.4 kg..
I should have lost something during an hour long session which i haven't considered in above training...
some how i am not able to arrive at 73.6 kg..
what could be the reason ?.. am i consuming too much of liquids or something else is happening in body ?

welcome any suggestions.

2016-07-11 5:38 AM
in reply to: prabs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Body weight before and after bike

there are at least two schools of thought on this.

a) the first is to drink to thirst. Drink when your body tells you to. It knows best
b) the second is drink to a schedule. Determine how much your body loses, how much you need to replace for optimal performance and execute. this can be oz/min, bottles per hour....

people that believe in b do the test your talking about. Weigh yourself before, do excercise, compensate for what you drink and pee, weight yourself after, figure out a sweat rate, figure out a maximal body loss they want to achieve (say 2%) and then calculate a schedule that probably includes electrolyte replacement. People in this camp will say that more than 2% body weight loss is sub optimal for performance....need x mg of sodium per L to prevent hyponetremia....bla bla bla

BTW hyponetremia is an imbalance of sodium in the body. Some say it's caused by not taking enough sodium, other say it's caused by drinking too much....

To add complexity to all this, some very renowned scientists say women are different than men, and women in their cycle are different than women not in their cycle.

If I understand correctly, one symptom of a person potentially become hyponatremic is not losing weight will exercising while ingesting fluids. I AM NOT SAYING THAT IS HAPPENING TO YOU. I think your test is probably too short and there may be wonky things going on.

The reason I wrote this is because you should research this especially as you go longer, and if you are racing in warm weather.

I would listen to this

http://www.enduranceplanet.com/dr-tim-noakes-and-dr-phil-maffetone-...

Tim Noakes is definitely a guy who's data I would consider in my decision.

2016-07-11 7:38 AM
in reply to: prabs

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
In addition to what Marc posted about hydration, electrolytes, etc, you also need to consider that your scale has a margin of error - let's assume 1%; then we have:

Pre-ride - 72.1kg +/- .7kg
Post-ride - 73.6 =/- .7kg

Therefore your pre-ride mass may have been as great as 72.8kg and your post-ride may have been as low as 72.9kg. Factor in taking on 1.2kg of water plus .15kg of fuel and you could be in the situation that you pretty much replenished what you lost.

Now, there is the possibility that you were as low as 71.4kg before the ride and as high as 74.3kg post ride but, assuming you correctly accounted for what you took in, this is impossible.

Really the key point is that your error bars certainly would account for the delta that you see which means you need more data if you want to try to figure this out.

Shane
2016-07-11 7:50 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by gsmacleod

In addition to what Marc posted about hydration, electrolytes, etc, you also need to consider that your scale has a margin of error - let's assume 1%; then we have:

Pre-ride - 72.1kg +/- .7kg
Post-ride - 73.6 =/- .7kg

Therefore your pre-ride mass may have been as great as 72.8kg and your post-ride may have been as low as 72.9kg. Factor in taking on 1.2kg of water plus .15kg of fuel and you could be in the situation that you pretty much replenished what you lost.

Now, there is the possibility that you were as low as 71.4kg before the ride and as high as 74.3kg post ride but, assuming you correctly accounted for what you took in, this is impossible.

Really the key point is that your error bars certainly would account for the delta that you see which means you need more data if you want to try to figure this out.

Shane

and 1% would be a very accurate scale, Most scales are not that good.
2016-07-11 7:59 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by mike761

and 1% would be a very accurate scale, Most scales are not that good.

Indeed - I meant to mention that it is most likely off by quite a bit more than 1%.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body weight before and after bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

competitive edge - body weight vs carbon bikes (and other gear)

Started by LPJmom
Views: 1902 Posts: 19

2012-11-02 3:06 PM LPJmom

what is a good no weight/weight room upper body workout

Started by BigDH
Views: 3523 Posts: 15

2012-11-08 2:52 PM Teejaay

body weight & bike performance correlation Pages: 1 2 3

Started by duder5189
Views: 4064 Posts: 60

2012-06-15 11:54 AM BrianRunsPhilly

Free Weights vs Body Weight

Started by Decathlete_Zorgs
Views: 6118 Posts: 9

2011-09-27 10:10 PM jgs733

New bike thoughts....bike Weight vs body weight Pages: 1 2

Started by KathyG
Views: 2601 Posts: 34

2006-04-27 5:02 PM ChuckyFinster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 12, 2007
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 0
Pay attention to details! Little things like body composition, bike fit, powermeter use and swim technique become big on the Varsity Team

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Video on what body marking is all about during check-in.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mrakes1
In spite of blaming metabolism for your body type or holding your genetics at fault, anyone can lose weight.
date : May 1, 2006
author : mrakes1
Far too many people are looking for quick body composition fixes, easy exercise programs and anything to keep their eating habits (and waistlines) under control.

date : October 31, 2004
author : ewkfit
comments : 1
I may not have pre-pubescent hips or breasts and at 36 that would be ridiculous. I do not need to have an "airbrushed body" and why do I revere that?
date : October 10, 2004
author : FIN16
comments : 1
The human body can endure extreme physical hardships but a trained, confident mind can endure much more.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
Why Train for Triathlons?