General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specific breathing question-swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-12 11:09 AM

Subject: Specific breathing question-swimming
I use either bilateral breathing, or sometimes in OWS-2 in a row on one side, then 2 in row on other side with 2 strokes in between. My question/concern is this: all my breathing seems to be really shallow, quick breaths, or "top of the lungs". It definitely is not the deep breathing of cycling or running. Is this normal? It also seems magnified when wearing a wetsuit, perhaps because of the constriction?
This probably sounds odd, but sometimes I cant tell if I am breathing too much, or not enough, or even hyperventilating a little due to the quick short breaths I take. I assume I involuntarily breath this way due to time. Meaning, getting it done before that arm recovers.
Thoughts anyone?

2016-07-12 11:53 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Subject: RE: Specific breathing question-swimming
Some good questions.
But how do you breathe in a pool (so without a wetsuit) when training?
And what swim distances are you swimming in training and in open water?

Greg @ dsw
2016-07-12 1:20 PM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

Most open water swims with wetsuit are 500-750 yards. Conversely, in the pool, I am not nearly as efficient (no wetsuit) so I do drills of 50-100 yards. I can swim with a PB if I want to in pool for 1000 yards (no flip turns) so I imagine I am catching up in breathing somewhat as I touch each end of pool. I'm still learning how to be horizontal and in good form with no wetsuit help.
2016-07-12 1:28 PM

User image

Part of your trouble could be due to wetsuit fit.  My guess is it's more fitness related.  What kind of times are you holding when you do sets of 50's and 100's in the pool vs effort when you OWS ?

By times on 50's and 100's what are you coming in on and what's your rest? 

2016-07-12 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Are you trying to get a full in and out while your head is turned? You should be exhaling under the water.
2016-07-13 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Originally posted by Burchib I use either bilateral breathing, or sometimes in OWS-2 in a row on one side, then 2 in row on other side with 2 strokes in between. My question/concern is this: all my breathing seems to be really shallow, quick breaths, or "top of the lungs". It definitely is not the deep breathing of cycling or running. Is this normal? It also seems magnified when wearing a wetsuit, perhaps because of the constriction? This probably sounds odd, but sometimes I cant tell if I am breathing too much, or not enough, or even hyperventilating a little due to the quick short breaths I take. I assume I involuntarily breath this way due to time. Meaning, getting it done before that arm recovers. Thoughts anyone?

Constriction is a normal problem with swimming. Having a the pressure of the water pushing on your body makes it harder to expand your lungs versus out of the water. Adding a wetsuit compounds the issue. It's a good idea to learn to be a gut breather and not a chest breather when you swim. That way the lungs expand down into the stomach rather than out as expanding the ribs/chest takes a lot more effort.

2016-07-13 12:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

double post

Edited by tjfry 2016-07-13 12:06 PM
2016-07-14 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
No, I would say that your breathing issues do not sound normal. Sure, a snug wetsuit can make your breathing a bit more noticeable, but the difference should be barely felt when your breathing technique is good and when the wetsuit fits right.

Try to get some coaching help with your breathing and your swim technique in general (even in a pool), the payoff for you will be huge and nearly all of it will directly carry over to your open water swimming. Also, be aware that the vast majority of faster swimmers and triathletes do not bilaterally breathe (i.e., one breath for every 3 pulls). Most breathe every 2 pulls, so they breathe always on the right, or they breathe always on the left, or (best) they breathe sometimes on the right and sometimes on the left.

Greg @ dsw
2016-07-14 11:35 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Part of your trouble could be due to wetsuit fit.  My guess is it's more fitness related.  What kind of times are you holding when you do sets of 50's and 100's in the pool vs effort when you OWS ?

By times on 50's and 100's what are you coming in on and what's your rest? 

My times are pretty much 2:00/100 on 20-30 sec rest between
2016-07-14 12:50 PM

User image

I think what's going on with you is a combination of what everyone mentioned above.  I wouldn't completely eliminate the wetsuit but again my guess is that's not the issue.  The only thing missing is what type of effort are you putting out in your open water swims.

From what you have said I am guessing you may be swimming a little harder in OW vs pool long swims.  The shallow breathing you mentioned is due to not exhaling fully before you go to take a breath.  So you are still exhaling when your mouth comes out of the water and do not have enough time to get a full breath in.  I would concentrate on breathing to one side for now and find what works for you, every stroke or every other stroke.  Once you get that down start working more on bilateral if you want. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specific breathing question-swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Specific Swimming Technique Question: Body Roll

Started by saldana_joel
Views: 1163 Posts: 3

2009-07-28 1:40 PM saldana_joel

Swim Question: training breathing vs race breathing??

Started by ousooner45
Views: 1533 Posts: 14

2008-08-21 10:31 AM Bigfuzzydoug

Specific Swim Training Question - What next?

Started by matt3liv
Views: 783 Posts: 7

2007-04-25 2:28 PM matt3liv

Very specific swimming question

Started by hangloose
Views: 1251 Posts: 15

2006-11-01 10:52 PM CindyK

swim breathing question

Started by kernman
Views: 931 Posts: 7

2005-04-26 12:30 PM xiphias
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Open Water Training: Tips to Improve Your Breathing Technique

date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters
date : July 18, 2011
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : February 4, 2011
comments : 1
Drills and suggestions to make bilateral breathing seem effortless
date : January 19, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Which sport do you believe is easier to continually improve at: swimming, bicycling, or running? What makes you think this specific sport is easier to improve at?

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : June 27, 2007
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.