General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Aid Stations in 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-13 12:59 PM

Subject: Bike Aid Stations in 70.3
So I'm gearing up for my first 70.3 and am wondering how the aid stations work on the bike. I know what they are serving and have been training with some of the same products to make sure my GI is cool with it. Just wondering the logistics. Do you ride through and grab a bottle or two? Stop and grab? Thanks for any guidance.

2016-07-13 1:08 PM
in reply to: PRHTri

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Bike Aid Stations in 70.3
You will hear different ideas.....here's my take:

a) SLOW DOWN and stay to the right
b) They will typically have Gatorade and Water Bottles so decide beforehand which one you want
c) POINT at the volunteer that has the type of drink you want. Make sure he/she sees you.
d) Grab bottle and continue in a cautious manner
d) Discard bottles in trash area near the end of the aid station
2016-07-13 1:20 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by PRHTri

So I'm gearing up for my first 70.3 and am wondering how the aid stations work on the bike. I know what they are serving and have been training with some of the same products to make sure my GI is cool with it. Just wondering the logistics. Do you ride through and grab a bottle or two? Stop and grab? Thanks for any guidance.

The short answer: "yes"

The long answer: "Whatever is safest for you, the other competitors, and the volunteers.

Just be clear about what you're doing. There's websites out there where people lay out the process, and I found generally, people followed it.
If you're uncomfortable at all grabbing something on the fly, absolutely....slow down, pull over, and stop.
Just announce out loud what you're doing so the other racers and volunteers know what you're doing.
Shout out "slowing down" or "stopping".
Perfectly fine to stop...go as far right as possible...and even off the road....almost always at the end of the station. Not "within it" If there's a race briefing....go....and if they don't tell you what they'd like to see, ask them. They might even have a designated "stopping area" like....general at the end. Ask someone what they're preference is.

t's likely not just a single table with a few folks manning it. If it's a big enough race, they'll be spread out over maybe more than 100 feet. And you'll often have two chances at something like water or Gatorade or Clif Bars. Also, not uncommon to find a portapotty at an aid station.

Here's another newb tip that I didn't think about, until I almost took out a volunteer. Don't throw your empty. Just drop it to the far right side. If you're doing 20 mph and you toss something lightly at 20 mph.....whatever you threw is now doing 40. Don't try to hit the trash can. You might hit a volunteer. (Sorry guy in the green shirt last year. My deepest newb apologies).

While I didn't go to the effort of 'practicing' grabbing a bottle of water while riding by, I did think it through. I was on a road bike. I can tell you, if I had a tri-bike (with my limited experience on one)...I would actually practice it before attempting it.

In fact, I think I had found a few websites that volunteers had put together....with tips. Lemme see if I can find it.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-07-13 1:30 PM
2016-07-13 1:28 PM
in reply to: 0

Can't seem to find it.
However, if you Google "how to go through a bike aid station triathlon"
There's plenty of articles, tips, forums.

One is from the perspective of a volunteer. Kinda interesting. I wish I could find the page I found when I had the same questions.

One of the things they all seem to grouch about is racers who get 'demanding'.
Like "WHO HAS THE WATER? WHERE'S THE WATER?????????WATER?????SOMEONE?????WATER, NOW! I NEED WATER."

As opposed to a simple "Water? COOL. THANKS! YOU GUYS ROCK!"'

They'll be quite vocal about announcing what they have. Don't panic. Pay attention to those in front, those behind, an those to your right.

And don't forget, there could be people sailing on by on your left. When you go to take off again, for sure....don't pull right in front of them.

I like to let me obsessive flag fly and overthink. Really, no need to. Keep your wits about you. Don't panic. There's another chance for water probably. And worst case, you miss everything you need. Announce it, pull over, and walk 20 feet back to them. Odds are one of them will be running to you with a handful of selections already. There's some tremendously dedicated folks who work like dogs to make us happy. Not sure why they do it, but bless them for it.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-07-13 1:32 PM
2016-07-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: PRHTri

User image

Exton, PA
Most people will grab as they go.

Slow down before you grab, I would say you should be no more than 17mph when grabbing a bottle.
point to the person you are taking the bottle from and make sure they see you.
Ride very predictable thru that area, other riders will not stop and be passing at higher speeds. don't be swerving around.
If your going to stop get way to the right slow down in advance and stop before the area
2016-07-13 2:33 PM
in reply to: mike761

All good posts. At the HIM I just did there was an area to pull off at the end of the transition line right next to the ports pots (which I used, since I drank plenty of water during the swim). They even had a guy rack my bike on one aid station. If you take the option of stopping you can walk back and pick up anything they are offering. Or, when they see you walking they will run to you with stuff.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Aid Stations in 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

70.3 Bike Aid Stations

Started by laurentris
Views: 969 Posts: 4

2013-04-16 7:37 PM tri808

Newbie Question on Bike Aid Station

Started by Lance26.2
Views: 1059 Posts: 3

2008-04-30 6:18 PM Aikidoman

HIM - Bike aid stations

Started by TriBefore40
Views: 1235 Posts: 8

2006-06-19 12:39 AM MForger18

Bike Aid Stations?

Started by Josh_Berman
Views: 728 Posts: 4

2006-05-15 10:08 AM amiine

Aid stations on the bike...

Started by Hudnick
Views: 1154 Posts: 17

2005-01-31 3:57 PM PGoldberger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Be ready for trouble out on the road

date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.