General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Tri Bike - Does it fit? Pics inside Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-16 4:30 AM

Subject: New Tri Bike - Does it fit? Pics inside
Hi,

Long story short: I need you guys (and girls) to criticise my bike fit. It's a new bike and I'm still able to change it if it doesn't fit (although I'd prefer to keep it). Just want to make sure I bought the right size, and get some feedback. Here are a couple of pictures :

http://imgur.com/a/AgLWe

A couple of notes:
- pads are set on the back position, could move them a bit forward still
- saddle is on the middle of the rails
- the bike jersey from the pictures is a bit loose, so I'm not hitting my belly with my knees or anything (and I'm not fat either haha)

Backstory:
I started doing triathlon last year, and I was using an old Trek Madone with aerobars. After two halfs (my PB is 5hours) I decided to buy a tri bike. I found a great deal online for a brand new Felt IA14 (2500€), so I jumped in and bought it. I used the measurements from a previous bike fit, put them on a Felt excel calculator, and it recommended me both a size 51 and a 54 with different configurations (aerobar positions). A bike mechanic I know who owns the same bike (I know, it's not a fitter) said I should go with a size 51, as it would fit better. Just got it, set it up with the data from my previous fit and decided I would like some feedback, and here we are.

Thanks!

2016-07-16 9:30 AM
in reply to: carlosvl

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: New Tri Bike - Does it fit? Pics inside
Your fit looks good so far. The knees do not touch the elbows and your back is relatively flat.

What I am noticing is the ankle / leg angle in the first photo is extended. It looks like running on your toes. That may place a strain on your calves.

In the second photo the upper/lower leg angle is a little compressed. That may place a strain on your knees.

In the third photo the right knee is measurably ahead of the pedal. It should be slightly ahead of the pedal.

In all photos the upper arm/torso angle is closer to compressed, but still within range. The eyes are over the axle, which will result is less control of the bike.

The challenge is the legs look good near the top of the stroke, but not the bottom. It's tough to find the right trade-off. My recommendation is to reduce the ankle/leg angle at the bottom of the stroke and improve bike control:

1.) Sit about 1 -2 cm further back on the seat, but not moving the seat back. This opens up the upper/lower leg angle, puts the knee slightly ahead of the pedal, and improves directional stability. The upper arm/torso angle will open a bit and still be within range.

2.) Using a 170 mm crank. This will reduce the ankle/leg angle at the bottom of the stroke.

2016-07-16 10:47 AM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

Subject: RE: New Tri Bike - Does it fit? Pics inside
Originally posted by Six000MileYear

Your fit looks good so far. The knees do not touch the elbows and your back is relatively flat.

What I am noticing is the ankle / leg angle in the first photo is extended. It looks like running on your toes. That may place a strain on your calves.

In the second photo the upper/lower leg angle is a little compressed. That may place a strain on your knees.

In the third photo the right knee is measurably ahead of the pedal. It should be slightly ahead of the pedal.

In all photos the upper arm/torso angle is closer to compressed, but still within range. The eyes are over the axle, which will result is less control of the bike.

The challenge is the legs look good near the top of the stroke, but not the bottom. It's tough to find the right trade-off. My recommendation is to reduce the ankle/leg angle at the bottom of the stroke and improve bike control:

1.) Sit about 1 -2 cm further back on the seat, but not moving the seat back. This opens up the upper/lower leg angle, puts the knee slightly ahead of the pedal, and improves directional stability. The upper arm/torso angle will open a bit and still be within range.

2.) Using a 170 mm crank. This will reduce the ankle/leg angle at the bottom of the stroke.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! You make a couple of good points.
Initially I will start by sitting further back on the seat. I tended naturally to seat further back on the seat, but I had the idea that I should seat forward when I'm on a tri bike, so that's what I did.
Regarding the crank length, I plan to buy a powermeter next, so I might wait a bit and buy a crank based pm with 170mm cranks.

Anyway, my main concern now was the frame size, as I have just a few where I can change it, and after that I'm stuck with it. From your post I guess frame size is good, which is a relief.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Tri Bike - Does it fit? Pics inside Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike Fit vs. Road Bike

Started by Maniton
Views: 1109 Posts: 2

2012-05-07 6:09 AM audiojan

new tri bike vs new wheels

Started by playmobil31
Views: 1636 Posts: 3

2011-05-25 7:05 PM playmobil31

Road bike/tri bike fit question

Started by Timmeh!
Views: 1074 Posts: 4

2008-12-05 9:32 PM KathyG

Fitting a road bike like a tri bike?

Started by chosenprovidence
Views: 1210 Posts: 6

2008-09-01 7:14 PM slusser

Mmmmmm....Yummy New Bike Pics Pages: 1 2

Started by jaredog
Views: 1410 Posts: 27

2006-02-22 12:57 PM x_caliber50
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : May 11, 2009
comments : 0
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : April 14, 2008
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.