General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deer Creek Fall Challenge Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 05m 42s
Overall Rank = 48/115
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 26m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was easy and not stressful due to the 3-man wave start. Much safer than massed start type of events. The swim went very well for me with an ideal 22/min mile pace.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - went like clock work, even when I had to pass other on the course in earlier/successive waves.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

This could of been faster, but I took my time and put my HRM on which is not water proof. I was glad to have the HR data on the bike/run course though.

Get a water proof HRM
Bike
  • 3h 03m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I am over all pleased with my bike split. A 56 mile race is right in the sweet spot for me (not too long, not too short) and the swim provided a good warm-up. People were pleasant and encouraging with light chat over the course. Sure maybe next 70.3 I'll be able wring out a little more avg. speed. I had to stop 3 times to refill my water bottle with propel & get gels. This seemed to be an excellent balanced, interval for nutrition --- about once an hour or 18 miles.

Apply sunscreen at some point during the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Run
  • 2h 30m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the first time I had ever raced a run at the 13.1 distance. I wasn't confident that I had done enough distance work for running & as I had done for the bike & swim (where I performed much better & was competitive for my age-group). The run got brutal as my ITB (which had been plaguing me in the pre-season, but healthy for all the shorter races in the summer.) went at mile seven and I had to walk all the aide stations for the second lap due to the pain. I'm not sure I am up to racing the 13.1 many more times. Very painful. It's a shame because the bike & swim seem just right for me. The pain prevented me from running at my aerobic threshold of 150. and I was down in the 130s.

More long course training runs 10-12 mile runs.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

long distance running training was not adequate. I would delete all the speed track work outs I did & focus on hour long runs at least.

Event comments:

This was a well organized race by HFP. They are a great local race company and deliver an outstanding value for a 70.3 race. The race was perfect for a first-time 70.3 which it was for me. I learned a valuable lesson on the type of running preparation I need to do for this distance. I will definitely race this course again - even if it's just the OLY.

Last updated: 2015-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 19/115
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Two laps out to the furthest Buoy. basically double the OLY course with an additional buoy further out to get the extra yardage.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:04 | 56 miles | 18.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 35/115
Performance: Good
Right at threshold -150 almost the entire time with wind and hills.
Wind:
Course: 3 times around the OLY course with an additional hilly spur out to get the additional mileage.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:30:58 | 13.1 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 71/115
Performance: Bad
Course: basically, again 2x the OLY course - 2 out & backs.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-08-01 8:57 AM

User image

Subject: Deer Creek Fall Challenge Half Iron Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon

Started by tbcoffee
Views: 1142 Posts: 1

2011-10-08 11:58 PM tbcoffee

Started by wbattaile
Views: 1590 Posts: 2

2011-10-05 12:31 PM bzgl40

Started by TSimone
Views: 1514 Posts: 4

2011-10-21 9:24 PM bruehoyt

Started by McSchaferton
Views: 1457 Posts: 1

2011-10-03 9:06 PM McSchaferton

Started by dm26tg1
Views: 962 Posts: 1

2011-10-03 11:03 AM dm26tg1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.