Hello BTers! IMFL will be my first IM race and I an on a minimalist training schedule due to time commitments. Do any IMFL veterans have suggestions as to what to focus on seeing as how we are 3 months out from race day? Thanks in advance. E.
Subject:RE: Ironman Florida: training suggestions?
I raced IMFL in 2012 and all I can say is really, just get your mileage in.
- Since you are in a minimalist training, make each training session count. Make sure you are focusing on speed/cadence/distance, not just the motions.
- Get as much open water swim in as possible. Even if you grew up on a lake, the more you swim in a wetsuit the more comfortable you will be in said wetsuit. If you have access to salt water swim, that is a plus!
- The course is extremely flat, so I wouldn't worry too much about hill training. Throwing in interval training is never a bad thing, but I wouldn't seek out hilly routes.
- That being said, make sure you do a few Bike + Run (Brick) workouts
- I would make sure that you do at least 1 work out of each discipline hitting close to the distance of the race (2mi swim, 100+ bike, 20+ mi run).
- Now is the time to test out different nutrition. Make sure you see what they are offering on the course and see if your stomach likes it.
- I'm a list maker, so I created this list to keep me organized