General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lezyne Classic Floor Pump Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-07 6:09 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Lezyne Classic Floor Pump

I bought this pump for looks.  It has the coolest polished aluminum cylinder and oh-so-retro wooden handles.  But, the thing just sucked at pumping up bicycle tires.  The problem seemed to be that the check valve that should close on the down stroke to push air from the cylinder into the tire was not closing until the very bottom of the stroke. And, the pressure reading leaked down as son as you stopped pumping as if there was a leak.  I pumped and cursed really fast every time I used it.  I contacted Lezyne.  They suggested that maybe there was too much grease on an O-ring on the piston.  They suggested  I should unscrew the main cylinder from the base and wipe off the excess grease.  I tried this but the instructions were defective.  Unscrewing the cylinder from the base does not give access to the O-ring.  One needs to remove the piston from the cylinder.  A Park Tool SPA-2 pin spanner is required to remove the piston.  Alas, wiping the O-ring did not fix the problem.  I suffered with a lousy pump for a few more years.  I was about to chuck a $60 pump but searched the Internet for rebuild kits first.  I found that Lezyne had an O-ring and air fitting rebuild kit for $5.63.  Interestingly the O-ring is a slightly different size from the original and the air fitting that connects the air chuck to the hose is plastic rather than brass.  I put the two parts on and miraculously the pump works flawlessly, just as a pump should.  It is still a very pretty pump.

2016-08-13 2:03 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Lezyne Classic Floor Pump
I have the Lezyne Ultimate pump and it works absolutely flawlessly. Never heard of anyone having problem with Lezyne pumps ever... I wonder if the o-ring wasn't cut during the installation?
2016-08-13 5:50 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Elite

Now you have heard of a problem.  But, the fix continues to hold.  The pump is still great.  One pump stroke to get the tires up to pressure rather than 20 really quick strokes before the fix.  It should tell you something that the parts are different.

2016-08-24 8:05 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Veteran
Jupiter, FL
I have a Lezyne floor pump and the pressure gauge has failed 3 times! Lezyne did send replacement gauges free of charge, but after the third one failed I had to purchase another brands pump.
2016-08-24 8:23 AM
in reply to: pholahan

User image

Elite

Sorry about your pump.  My pressure gauge has not been a problem.   My complaint was that I had to buy a $5 repair kit and a $20 pin spanner (counting the shipping) to fix what in my view was a design flaw on a $70 pump.  When I contacted Lezyne when the pump was new (2012)  about the problem, they gave me incorrect advice about how to fix the problem and did not offer any replacement parts.  

In fairness, this particular pump has evolved quite a bit since 2012.  Presumably, they are working on the design even if they are not giving much service to people who bought faulty pumps.  The pump you could buy today may work flawlessly from the start.  I do not know.

I am like you.  I view pumps as a simple device that should just work.  Nothing fancy needed.  I have three pumps.  Very little maintenance on two (that are much, much older, probably 20 years old, not sure.)  I have had to do quite a lot of maintenance on the Lezyne even when it was brand new.  I hope that the current fix lasts 20 years.  That would pretty much cover my need of a bicycle pump (i'm 64).  It is still a very pretty pump which is why I bought it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lezyne Classic Floor Pump Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Presta Friendly Floor Pump

Started by Bradzilla
Views: 712 Posts: 2

2009-09-21 4:08 PM metafizx

Recommend a solid floor pump

Started by merlin2375
Views: 870 Posts: 8

2009-04-06 10:24 PM brucemorgan

Joe Blow Sport Floor Pump Problems

Started by RunningJayhawk
Views: 20527 Posts: 11

2018-11-27 10:19 PM Geng

Serfas Floor Pump (dumb question?)

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 596 Posts: 3

2005-12-27 11:02 PM max

Know a good quality floor pump?

Started by amricci11
Views: 785 Posts: 5

2005-08-16 5:20 PM smokeater1833
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 14, 2010
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Ontherun reviews the basics of CO2 inflation systems along with a few of his favorite devices and how to use them including the XLAB NanoInflator and the SecondWind Road and MTB CO2 Inflators.

date : July 13, 2009
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
We review three unique floor pumps: Pedro's Super Prestige, Topeak JoeBlow Ace and the Campbell Hausfeld cordless rechargeable inflator. Also discussed are Presta and Schrader valves.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : September 11, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Bosu ball squats with one leg on the floor stability exercise with picture and video.