Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Anybody left? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-08-11 9:19 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: Anybody left?

Just doing a roll call....haven't seen any of my old guys on here anymore.

Getting back into it hopefully next year I can go again!!!

WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

2016-08-11 10:51 PM
in reply to: Crazypop

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Anybody left?
I am still checking in ... Worried that I killed the forum

Registered this afternoon for MEC sprint on Sunday...

2016-08-12 1:48 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pop my head in from time to time, but getting pretty dead.....

2016-08-12 10:44 AM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Still around. Just finished the Irongirl event and registered for the cultus sprint in september. Debating if I'm ready to take on the 70.3 distance next year.
2016-08-12 11:35 AM
in reply to: RunnyBunny

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

That's awesome!

70.3 is a great distance.

Hellllllloooo everybody!

I am planning on a 70.3 for next year as well, hopefully I can make my mind up before they get sold out!

2016-08-12 3:07 PM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Originally posted by Crazypop

That's awesome!

70.3 is a great distance.

Hellllllloooo everybody!

I am planning on a 70.3 for next year as well, hopefully I can make my mind up before they get sold out!

Which ones are you debating? I'm torn between Victoria and Whistler. The challenge is out as you have to compete this year, and the entry fees are crazy expensive now.

Victoria seems a bit early in the year for bike training, and well, Whistler is hilly and the weather is unpredictable. Which one for a first 70.3? Anyone have any thoughts?

2016-08-12 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

The bike course on both those rides are crazy.

I am thinking oliver half or Victoria half.

Victoria cause I used to live there. Oliver cause its a good course. Not very hilly but could be hot or cold.

Whistler seems like a good choice but there is a ton of people there doing the full...

Logistics in Victoria were a nightmare this year. The swim was weedy and the parking in the morning was horrendous, the run is great and shady the whole time. The ride is a single loop lots of hills at the end before the run. SPECTATORS(me) were amazing though!!!

2016-08-12 6:21 PM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Originally posted by Crazypop

The bike course on both those rides are crazy.

I am thinking oliver half or Victoria half.

Victoria cause I used to live there. Oliver cause its a good course. Not very hilly but could be hot or cold.

Whistler seems like a good choice but there is a ton of people there doing the full...

Logistics in Victoria were a nightmare this year. The swim was weedy and the parking in the morning was horrendous, the run is great and shady the whole time. The ride is a single loop lots of hills at the end before the run. SPECTATORS(me) were amazing though!!!

Hmmmm, ok thanks for the input! I did the relay with some friends in whistler this year. The crowds weren't too bad to be honest, and it was nice to see all the extra spectators out there! It was actually pretty fun. My hubby did the ride though, and he said the climb out of pemberton is pretty brutal. There were people walking their bikes. I have to admit, i'm not the best rider for hills, and tend to enjoy straight with the wind at my back. haha. I do like the fact the run in victoria is all in the shade. And yes, I heard the swim there was a nightmare. The water was gross etc, but I also read the machine that cuts the weeds was broken. Maybe they would fix that for this year? Decisions decisions!
2016-08-13 1:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RunnyBunny

Still around. Just finished the Irongirl event and registered for the cultus sprint in september. Debating if I'm ready to take on the 70.3 distance next year.

How did the Iron girl event go ?

2016-08-13 2:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've heard good things about the Oliver course, been considering that half myself.

Also been considering cultus lake in september, just not sure if I will be recovered from the Squamish 50/50 completely or not. I apparently have the base to roll up and do one though :p

Also doing an october marathon.

Busy busy busy!
2016-08-13 1:14 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

That course is amazing....you are nuts! Good job out there.

I have done Oliver 3 times. I like it.

Cultus in Sep would be good. You can do it!

2016-08-13 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Which marathon? I am thinking of running a half..
2016-08-14 11:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
BMO Okanagan marathon, since I can just get out of bed and head downtown to run it.

Also, it works with the local XC series, they don't run that weekend because of it!

Squamish looks amazing, I might be stupid to have signed up for the 50/50 but I can't wait!
2016-08-15 1:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Originally posted by triosaurus

Originally posted by RunnyBunny

How did the Iron girl event go ?

Iron girl event was great! Fairly small venue. It was back at Locarno and ubc. I really love this route so I'm super happy Irongirl included a race here. I was a little disappointed to be honest when they moved the Subaru western series race downtown so I was able to race it again in a way. It was low key, and more of a supportive atmosphere than a competitive one. I would do it again. I had a lot of fun.

Edited by RunnyBunny 2016-08-15 1:10 AM
2016-08-21 12:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
RunnyBunny
Good to hear that you had a great time at IronGirl

Anybody racing this weekend?
2016-08-22 10:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I'm still here - just a bit slow.  

I went to Whistler for the 70.3 last month and had a fairly good time.  Thanks RunnyBunny for your comments on my race report.  When I finished the race I swore I'd never go back but since then I can see so many places that I could cut my times that I'm thinking I should go back again next year and at least finish "officially".

Dustin - I meant to ask you if your daughters swam the "Across the Lake Swim" with you.  I hope they did.

I have done the Cultus Lake Oly a couple times and it is fun and fast a good race to finish the season with and I really like camping in the Sunnyside camp ground while there.  I forgot Joe is starting a half at Cultus.  I looked at the courses and the bike ride is very flat.  Only a hill at the start of the ride and again at the end.  It looks like he has changed the Oly run to work with the half run route.  I'm going to have to consider it for next year.

I'm currently tapering for Challenge this weekend.  After Whistler I must be crazy but I'll give it my best shot.  I'm hoping I can do better than I did in Whistler.

With regards to Oliver Half.  I haven't actually done the race but I know the routes very well.  Last year I did the 1/54/10 and this year I did the Olympic on Saturday.  I was the oldest athlete at both and I was the only one in my age groups for those races.  The Olympic was "OK" but I think I would prefer to stick with the 1/54/10 or the Half in the future.  Knowing how poorly I did on the hills at Whistler I would be much better off doing Oliver.

I also liked Victoria but I would hate a swim like they had this year in Beaver Lake.  In Whistler there was lots of talk about Ironman doing a full in Victoria after next year but it is hard to imagine it could work.

Crazypop - I believe I've read a few of your race reports (and Dr Leah's) after I first joined BT in 2011.  They were inspiring to me.

2016-08-22 11:40 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yes, my kids both succeeded in the across the lake swim!!

Ashley came in a little over 50 minutes, and Cadence in a little over an hour!!

They were both so happy to finish and I was sure a proud papa that day!!!

Rattlesnake island 3 weeks later was rough. I had not trained my swim properly as I was on a hard run focus, my last swim before the 7 km rattlesnake island swim was the across the lake swim, which was also the longest swim since January.

Undertrained on the swim? Absolutely.

I did manage to finish it up though, sustaining a mild pinky tendon strain one side which is funny! :p

Now THIS weekend was the big goal I had for the year, the Squamish 50/50.

50 miles on gnarly washed out, rooty terrain with 11,000 feet of elevation gain, followed by the next day doing another 50k with 8,000 feet of elevation gain, on the same course, just with 2 sections omitted.

Day 1 was the hottest Squamish 50 race day on record, and the record dnf rate showed it. Carnage EVERYWHERE.

The most exposed hot sections were on some super gruelling long climbing sections in the last 1/3 of the day, there were people just sitting on the side of the trail, people throwing up, death marching, it was crazy, and I don't do well in the heat myself!!

I managed to finish, even ran in the end, but I was DONE! Glazed over look in my eyes, felt like passing out, got in as many calories and fluid as possible, washed up a bit, took care of the legs a bit and passed out.

Every time I woke up in the middle of the night, i drank more chocolate milk.

Woke up at 4 am to get ready to do it again, legs felt surprisingly good, and I toed the start line.

Amazingly, not only could I run, but as the day went on I felt BETTER than day 1. I was actually clocking faster times, with a lower heart rate, and felt like I was having way more fun, I think I even managed to get a bit of a runner's high on a technical descent following the longest climb of the day, where the day before I had struggled with all the dropping etc.

Last 23 kms of the course I managed to finish almost 20 minutes faster than day 1, and the last 3 km I gave it EVERYTHING I had!

I was blowing by people that were on their final death slog on the sidewalk, must have passed 6 or 7 people at LEAST on the road to the finish, let alone the trail down to it.

One guy in a WORLD of hurt sees me go by, and he has a look of horror and shock on his face and says "Holy CRAP dude!!" I let him know we're almost there, and keep on running.

Finishing sprint was even faster than day 1, Got the hug and high 5 from Gary Robbins the race director, got my 50/50 finisher cap, and about 2 minutes later I wasn't able to get off the ground without help from my wife.

THE BEST organized race I have ever been to, BEST volunteers I've ever seen, simply an amazing event.

I can't recommend the Squamish 50, or ANY of the Coast Mountain Trail series enough to anyone interested in trail running on the coast of BC.
2016-08-24 9:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Pretty cool that your daughters finished the Across the Lake Swim.  I think you said they are pretty young.  What a neat gift to give them.

Your 50/50 run sounded pretty interesting.  I don't know if I'll ever be capable of that long/hard of a run.

Interesting that the chocolate milk helped you recover.  I quite like chocolate milk immediately after a hard run or bike workout.

Edited by wenceslasz 2016-08-24 9:57 PM
2016-08-25 1:19 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
My kids are 9 years old! :p The youngest person to do it was 7 though!!

Mind blowing!!

Chocolate milk, it apparently has the right carb/protein mix to help with speedy recovery and tbh the MAIN thing was to get in easy to digest calories and hydrate, so coke, ensure, and chocolate milk was my go to that night, with more chocolate milk as I woke up.

I was as surprised as anyone when I could actually walk well the next morning!!

I also was in the tub for a while, get that bit of water compression on them, I didn't own compression socks or anything, but I have since picked some up since after working a full day today I noticed a little swelling in the lower legs.

Feeling pretty good overall though, I did a TINY bit of jogging at the track with my wife tuesday, and was able to jog up my steps today even after working going up and down ladders all day today without pain!! :p
2016-10-10 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Knock..knock..
How is everybody dong? Enjoying autumn so far?

I had a great experence at MEC sprint, and was very excited to go back to Cultus in September... Alas... Several days prior, while sitting at home...I managed to tweak my back! Getting old is...getting old
I did go to cheer a frend, and heard the RD say he was short on volunteers.. So, I was the guy hollering at racers at the bike mount/dsmount line

I have been on the trainer this week, and will get back to swimming and running soon!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

2016-10-11 6:12 PM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

My race season is pretty much over. I'm slowly shifting to weight lifting and strength training for next year. I'm hoping some muscle building will help me out next year. I have a 10k in a couple of weeks for the Rock and Roll in Van, but not sure if I'm going to be able to do this one.

I had signed up for the Cultus Sprint, but alas, 2 days before something strange happened to my shoulder. I woke up, and I couldn't straighten my arm. It felt as though I had a really tough workout on my biceps, but I hadn't done anything. It was so strange. Sleeping was a bit of an issue, as I could feel pain shooting down my arm from my shoulder. Something was, and is pinching the nerve in there somewhere. I had to pull out of the sprint. There was no way I was going to be able to swim and bike, and I questioned running. Sigh. Next year.

And so, due to my shoulder, I am behind on my run training for the 10k. The longest I've run so far in the past few months is 7km. Hmmmm

Anyways, I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!

2016-10-11 10:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Darn, BOTH of you missed your race, that sucks!!

I never signed up for cultus lake, wasn't sure how it would fit in, and it wouldn't have.

The full recovery from Squamish took a while, then I did the BMO Okanagan marathon over the weekend, first time running a marathon outside of last year's Challenge Penticton ( where I was only HM trainer, but jumped in 6 weeks out )

The race went pretty well, I can't complain with the result even though I missed my goal by a few minutes, as I felt AMAZING, even with a nagging calf/shin issue which behaved nicely race day, I took a risk, blew up, but salvaged the latter part of the race only getting passed by 3 people in the last quarter after passing people most of the day.

I then got to go pig out on turkey and pie at my parent's place which my kids helped make!
2016-10-16 12:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dustin,

You have had a great year. lt looks like you've made a good recovery from your prior injury.... Full IM, marathon, epic swim, and ultra-runs....Wow!!

Good luck with training for next race
2016-10-16 12:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
RunnyBunny
Sorry to hear of your challenges... Here's to wishing you a great season!!
2016-10-16 10:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks Triosaurus!

I've gotten my 2015 project done, IM deciding only 6 weeks out to do it, and the 2016 project, back to back ultras at the Squamish 50/50.

Now I'm thinking for my 2017 project it's time to kick things up a notch.

Project BOSTON!!

Just need to take a little over 23 minutes off my marathon time. ( I ran 3:23:07 last weekend, qualifying time for me is 3:05, but usually you gotta be about 5 mins faster after cuts )

With making some dedicated blocks for training, losing 15-20 lbs, and a more conservative race strategy, I think it's doable, but it's going to be hard! :p

Edited by dfquigley 2016-10-16 10:03 PM
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Anybody left? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Anybody have a Computrainer?

Started by Crazypop
Views: 970 Posts: 6

2007-01-08 10:17 AM jeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Varicose veins plague an estimated 20% of our population and those who are fit and active are unfortunately not immune. These tortuous veins are early manifestations of chronic venous disease.

date : April 17, 2014
author : thehomegirl
comments : 4
I think the biggest thing I've learned is to quit worrying about what everyone else thinks. If I let that get to me too much I would not be the fine triathlete I am today!
date : November 23, 2009
I suffer from pain in the bottom of my left heel after my run. It doesn't hurt when I run but as the day goes on the pain worsens.

date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.
date : May 25, 2009
I strained my left hamstring over two years ago and thought I had gotten past it. Yesterday, it hampered me quite a bit and it felt like it was on the edge of giving out again.

date : October 15, 2008
At about the 1/2 mile mark my left soleus becomes extremely tight and painful. The pain then progresses into my left arch and then into my left knee.
date : May 12, 2008
I started having trouble a couple months ago with a tightness and almost numbness in my anterior left leg and top of foot during running. It feels sort of dead.