I'm posting my swim video for help and comments

https://youtu.be/tmonL_XeDiM

thanks

2016-08-12 8:59 AM
in reply to: loops

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Swim video advice welcome

You do a lot of things well.  You can make BIG improvements by working on your balance. (which is poor)  Just do a google search for balance drills and work on them every time you get in the pool.  It's tedious and time consuming but, like running drills, pays off well.

2016-08-12 1:59 PM
in reply to: #5194877

Ok thanks
2016-08-12 5:40 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Left Brain

You do a lot of things well.  You can make BIG improvements by working on your balance. (which is poor)  Just do a google search for balance drills and work on them every time you get in the pool.  It's tedious and time consuming but, like running drills, pays off well.

I agree with LB that you could benefit by working on your balance.  You're holding your head pretty high and your hand entry is really flat.  This is causing your hips to sink and legs to drag behind you like an anchor.  Notice that your head is mostly above the water.  If you relax your neck, and allow your head to sink deeper into the water so you're looking straight at the bottom instead of ahead of you, and you reach deeper and wider when your hands enter the water (a good thing to visualize for some people is imagining that you're reaching forward and down over the front end of a Volkswagon Beetle towards the headlights), you'll find your hips and legs riding much higher.

2016-08-13 7:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Comments :

The person shooting the video did a pretty amazing job.
There are angles that you look really good.
The angles that aren't as good are the underwater from side. Your feet are a foot below surface and your butt is wayy to low, your whole tail end is sinking.
The view from top has you way over rotating. There are times you can see both goggles from the top and your body is going is twisting around.

Those are the two biggest I see. Probably because I do the same. Of course there are others but I think you'd make a mistake just focusing on specific items of form..

For the skining legs I like to do sets like 100s or 200s and I do 2 with a pull buoy, 2 without and I try to get the times in line but focusing on getting my head down, butt up, tighter core and tighter kick. I only swam OWS this summer without a pace clock and I noticed I went backwards here. When I got in the pool my pull buoy vs non pull buoy was far apart and I spent the last two weeks brining it back. BTW, it's much easier to not have your legs sink when you are going at a decent clip. Speed helps form, form helps speed.

For the over rotation I stay very conscious of it. I will sometimes close the eye that should come out of the water and see if the other eye does. Also tightening up more core has a tendency to help here. I always have this image of Mr Swim smooth and how he seems to be rotating around a skwer going into his skull, following his spine and out to his ankles along the surface of the water. I sometimes find myself twisting around in all directions when pushing hard. I have to regroup, straighten out and sure enough I end up going faster.

The Gerry Rodrguez podcasts talk of alignment and tautness and give some hints on what they feel like.

I always try these things with a pace clock / watch to see what is really making a difference and what is not. I will do something like 12x100 focusing on something but never do specific drills. 1) I don't have enough pool time to justify them 2) I find they rarely translate back into my real swimming 3) Maybe I would if I had someone competent on deck

You have some good potential to work with. I'd be curious to know what you swim training looks like

Edited by marcag 2016-08-13 7:36 AM
2016-08-13 7:49 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marcag Comments : The person shooting the video did a pretty amazing job. There are angles that you look really good. The angles that aren't as good are the underwater from side. Your feet are a foot below surface and your butt is wayy to low, your whole tail end is sinking. The view from top has you way over rotating. There are times you can see both goggles from the top and your body is going is twisting around. Those are the two biggest I see. Probably because I do the same. Of course there are others but I think you'd make a mistake just focusing on specific items of form.. For the skining legs I like to do sets like 100s or 200s and I do 2 with a pull buoy, 2 without and I try to get the times in line but focusing on getting my head down, butt up, tighter core and tighter kick. I only swam OWS this summer without a pace clock and I noticed I went backwards here. When I got in the pool my pull buoy vs non pull buoy was far apart and I spent the last two weeks brining it back. BTW, it's much easier to not have your legs sink when you are going at a decent clip. Speed helps form, form helps speed. For the over rotation I stay very conscious of it. I will sometimes close the eye that should come out of the water and see if the other eye does. Also tightening up more core has a tendency to help here. I always have this image of Mr Swim smooth and how he seems to be rotating around a skwer going into his skull, following his spine and out to his ankles along the surface of the water. I sometimes find myself twisting around in all directions when pushing hard. I have to regroup, straighten out and sure enough I end up going faster. The Gerry Rodrguez podcasts talk of alignment and tautness and give some hints on what they feel like. I always try these things with a pace clock / watch to see what is really making a difference and what is not. I will do something like 12x100 focusing on something but never do specific drills. 1) I don't have enough pool time to justify them 2) I find they rarely translate back into my real swimming 3) Maybe I would if I had someone competent on deck You have some good potential to work with. I'd be curious to know what you swim training looks like

I agree with much of what Marc's saying, but I'd caution anyone from trying to address more than 2 to 3 issues at the most at a time.  Instead, start with the balance issues that LB, myself, and Marc all mentioned.  Work on those for a few sessions, then once those are significantly improved, move on to 2 or 3 other issues.  Trying to address everything at once usually results in stagnated progress at best, and confusion at worst.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim video advice welcome Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help me swim faster! Swim critique video Pages: 1 2

Started by ssshaunaaa
Views: 3598 Posts: 29

2012-05-22 2:11 PM AdventureBear

Swim advice...video included

Started by abqtj
Views: 1418 Posts: 17

2012-02-14 6:26 PM abqtj

Swim Video - Feedback Welcome

Started by MultisportMinistries
Views: 813 Posts: 5

2010-08-13 9:13 PM PTWykes

any advice welcome

Started by noni
Views: 1260 Posts: 10

2004-09-06 9:58 PM madkat

Swimming advice or help needed on video clip of myself swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by steven
Views: 3515 Posts: 29

2004-05-11 4:52 AM steven
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Free Triathlon Online Mentoring Open Now

date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.