General Discussion Triathlon Talk » piriformis syndrome Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-07 1:10 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: piriformis syndrome

During my long run on Monday (after a long ride on Sunday) I experienced what I thot was back pain. It felt eerily similar to sciatica that I've previously experienced from a herniated disc (on the opposite side).  It's  gotten a little better but I realize it's more  my upper buttock than my back. And it doesn't radiate down my leg (thankfully). I'm wondering if it could be PS.

Found some streches on the internet and taking advil/alleve. Has anyone else dealt w/ this?

Any other remedies besides pt? Time it took to heal or other insights appreciated? 

2006-09-07 3:51 PM
in reply to: #533515

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: RE: piriformis syndrome
I get this really bad on my left side after a long run or long bike ride. I can't tell you how to prevent it but I can tell you what I do to make it go away quickly. If you have a wife/girlfriend/SO, massage really helps.  It's kind of an awkward spot to have a massage therapist work on.  I've had one do it before but they didn't work on it for very long due to the area I guess. My husband does a much better job.  also if you position a tennis ball on the tight spot and roll over the area (sit on floor while doing this) it really helps loosen it up. I have a foam roller for ITBS that actually works for this also.  Other than that just do lots of stretching.  I find that my hip flexors, hamstrings, and gluteal area all get really tight when my piriformis pain is bad. Stretching really helps. Good luck! 
2006-09-08 4:41 AM
in reply to: #533515

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
I see it regularly but most people havenever heard of PS and I commend you on being aware of it. The sciatic nerve passes under the muscle and in ~20% it passes THROUGH the muscle so a tight piriformis can cause sciatica very easily. The easiest stretch to perfrom (and can be done even at work): sit and cross the ankle of your involved leg over the other knee. Grab the involved leg's knee and pull it toward the opposite shoulder while twisting slightly to bring the shoulder closer to the knee. You should feel a stretch in your . Hod 15-30 sec and let it stretch out. Perfrom throughout the day. Good luck. If you've correctly diagnosed yourself you should feel relief in a few days.
2006-09-08 8:07 AM
in reply to: #534126

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Thank you both, VERY MUCH! The stretching seems to have helped already. As someone who had chronic back pain that lead to surgery I'm very relieved to have the symptoms subside  w/in a week. Hopfeully back to running very shortly. Thanks again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » piriformis syndrome Rss Feed