General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OD in a month- times are questionable Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-21 8:18 PM

Subject: OD in a month- times are questionable
Hello All,
Ok so I'm running my first OD in a month and I'm not impressed with my times. Im a newbie and this is my 1st season. My OD race rules state we have 4 hours to complete race (Arlington International NC). I currently follow a program and am looking only to complete TRI not to win it. As of now 1500 meter swim takes me 40 mins, between 1:45- 2 hours to do 33 mile bike ride on bike paths +roads (w/ped traffic, car traffic,and other bikers), and 10 k run takes me about 70-75 mins. I train 5 days a week. Am I in over my head? I'm not looking to get any amazimg times just to complete it. I ve run two sprint tris already.

2016-08-21 9:02 PM
in reply to: ngonzales12

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: OD in a month- times are questionable
Why would you ask if you're over your head? If you know how long it takes you to do each leg, you can obviously figure that you're not in jeopardy of missing the cutoff.

Am I missing something?

First time you run that (really.....any) distance, don't worry about your overall time. Just get it done and have fun.

Isn't the swim current-assisted?
2016-08-21 11:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Perhaps the previous reply was not the welcome you had hoped for..

Welcome! With 2 prior triathlons under your belt, I guess you have gotten the newbie nerves outta the way. Looks like you can do the Olympic!
Have fun
2016-08-22 4:13 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
My intent was to have the OP NOT view the distance as something larger than life. It's just 3 legs that they already know they can make.

Go and have fun.
2016-08-22 5:40 AM
in reply to: #5196071

Thanks for feedback. I understand that my times are under 4 hours but given that I'm almost smack at 4 hours give 15 minutes here or there (not counting splits either) during training sessions for each leg, I'm worried that on race day I won't be able to maintain speed when I do all of the legs on the same day and will fall behind and not make cut off. Am I really freaking out over nothing?
2016-08-22 6:55 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by ngonzales12

Thanks for feedback. I understand that my times are under 4 hours but given that I'm almost smack at 4 hours give 15 minutes here or there (not counting splits either) during training sessions for each leg, I'm worried that on race day I won't be able to maintain speed when I do all of the legs on the same day and will fall behind and not make cut off. Am I really freaking out over nothing?

Your over thinking it. Sounds like you can finish without a problem. Many times people a are much faster in the race than during training. The pedestrian traffic and car traffic is held up for you during a race so the bike gets a lot faster.

Don't panic, just enjoy the race.

2016-08-22 7:49 AM

, Wisconsin
I agree with the others. I don't think you'll have any problem completing the distances within the time cutoff. Just continue to prepare and enjoy the journey and the event!
2016-08-22 11:33 AM

Ahhh.....go on. Enjoy it. You got this thing no problem.
For reasons you know...

1. Adrenaline! WOOT! It's a wonderful thing.
2. Spectators, family, friends, other racers encouraging you if you start flagging.
3. No stop signs, lights, 'significant' vehicle traffic on the ride....this will shave time off your "projection".

I know the feeling you have. I'm not far removed from it. While not "Ironman epic", an Olympic still seemed rather daunting to me before I did one. And I too, fixated on the math and calculating...not whether I would complete it...but whether I would make various cutoffs.

I am positive it's one of the appeals of "triathloning" for some of us. We can let our obsessive flag fly. I was chatting about this at a race this weekend with someone....and then she took off her jacket to show me that she'd written out the turns/directions of the bike course on her inner forearm with a Sharpie.

Enjoy the obsessing and even embrace it.....if it doesn't get in the way of enjoyment. Making a list of stuff you need for a race and checking through it 3 times? Heck, the 'beginner website triathlon tips" websites TELL you to do just that. Just when you've double (or triple) checked everything. Close that mental door. You checked. You double checked. Your list is complete. Time to race and enjoy it.

Same with the mental math. You've done the math. The math works (and you know you'll exceed your expectations). You'll do it no probs. So, you can close the mental door on that one and go on to the next. And if you need reassurance on that.....I say....post away. I'm always up for obsessive threads.
2016-08-22 12:33 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by nc452010

My intent was to have the OP NOT view the distance as something larger than life. It's just 3 legs that they already know they can make.

Go and have fun.

I get it . No worries, and no insult intended.

2016-08-22 2:52 PM
in reply to: #5196091

New user
Try not to obsess over the time limit (smile). The reason i say such is that you MAY push too hard too early, exceeding what your current fitness will allow, and then you bonk.(Ask me how i know this). Just go out experience, learn, and most importantly, enjoy. Good luck my friend.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OD in a month- times are questionable Rss Feed