General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Totally Wiped Out, BP Way Up - Overtrained? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-22 7:28 PM

Subject: Totally Wiped Out, BP Way Up - Overtrained?
I suspect that I have totally over trained myself-- I had some really low- volume months over the winter while I rehabbed from plantar fasciitis, but got myself gradually back to full-speed by the spring. Thought I did a good job of easing myself back into it, and I felt strong and fast, culminating with a really good race in the middle of July. The whole time, though, I was flat wiped out! As a teacher on summer break, I had lots of rest time, and I was capping training at 8-10 hours a week, but I just felt deeply exhausted in a way that I don't remember feeling before.

Over the last month, my blood pressure has been creeping up. My heart rate has been all over the place-- sometimes high and sometimes very low. Last week, I did AG nationals in Omaha, and held my own fairly well in the heat, although I lost all my GUs and so couldn't fuel. I felt fine afterwards, but my wife said I looked really bad coming out of T2.

I'm a week post-race, and I've barely been able to stay awake the whole time. My blood pressure has jumped up drastically. I haven't exercised at all this week save trying to do some light strength/mobility on Wednesday and I had to cut that short. I am seeing my general practitioner, and he's run some blood work to check my thyroid and iron, etc., but it seems like overtraining. I had hoped that a whole week off would help, but today my BP numbers were the worst I've seen yet-- seems like they're continuing to climb regardless.

Anyone have moderate/+ BP/hypertension after overtraining? How long did it take for things to stabilize? When did you start to "feel better?" Thanks!

2016-08-23 9:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Totally Wiped Out, BP Way Up - Overtrained?

It stands to reason that peak training is not sustainable and sustainable training does not yield peak performance.  Hence, it is common and normal to schedule training in cycles to peak for a particular race.   The problem though is knowing what your sustainable level is and to get below that level when you are recovering. This is the part that gets in your head.  Your best training day, your best race does not become your de facto pace everyday forever afterwards.  Make sure the problem is not in false expectations of what your performance should be.while recovering.

I am not a doctor, or at least not the sort of doctor that can help you with medical problems, but fatigue is the symptom of so many other medical conditions that you really should not just assume that, just because you are coming off of a big build and race, that overtraining is the cause.  I see you are on that.

On symptoms of overtraining, the most commonly cited indicator is elevated morning heart rate.  The metric means taking your heart rate before you get up and move around at all.  I have had a hard time measuring this at closely similar conditions in the morning so that measurements are comparable.  What I go by is how I feel.  If I don't feel anxious to get out and run or bike each day, I am on the wrong side of the training peak.  Not a bad thing for a build but not sustainable.

On your varying BP, again, this varies a lot with conditions under which you measure it.  I assume you are measuring it yourself with a home monitor.  These are pretty good at measuring BP, but consistent readings depend on consistent conditions, i.e. same time of day, same resting conditions before taking the reading, same arm position, same breathing pattern, no distractions, etc.  Take about three readings and just pick the middle one to record.

My advice, cut training time by half, stay on the low end of heart rate (like 50% between resting and max), cut frequency of training to 3 or 4 days a week.  

Edited by tech_geezer 2016-08-23 9:03 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Totally Wiped Out, BP Way Up - Overtrained? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

BP meds and training

Started by paytash
Views: 1815 Posts: 11

2010-01-07 3:41 PM chappy37

High BP

Started by swgtri
Views: 2122 Posts: 17

2007-12-01 6:25 AM tri42

BP Meds vs Target Training Rate Calc's?

Started by Darwin52
Views: 978 Posts: 5