General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie in Utah Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-23 11:37 AM

Subject: Newbie in Utah
My name is Emily and I live in Northern Utah.

I fell into the tri world very recently, and basically, by accident. You see, I am a teacher who thoroughly enjoys her summers off Each summer, I pick a new hobby or sport to try, and this summer I happened to pick swimming, biking, and running. It was halfway through July that I even realized I had inadvertently picked tri sports, and that I ought to do some kind of race to culminate my summer. Not that I'm looking to "race," per se. I'd just like to FINISH something!

So I just barely (as in this very morning!) registered for the HIM in Bear Lake, Utah in September. Yes, a HIM as my first race. Sometimes my thirst for adventure (or just my stupidity?) exceeds my common sense.

I've always been into sports, but typically it's been only for fun.... before this summer, I never even bothered to calculate swim distances or running times. Before I became a member, I found myself on this site several times looking up tips and discussions. As a newbie, I've really appreciated the advice that experienced racers have shared... keep it up! I'm looking forward to stalking more discussions and maybe even sharing once I have something intelligent to contribute.

I enjoy training alone, but would love to find like-minded people in my area.

Thanks for reading! And thanks in advance for all the advice I'll get from you

2016-09-07 1:23 PM
in reply to: eshess

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Newbie in Utah

Hi Emily! Welcome to BT and triathlon. You can finish Bear Lake just pace moderately and keep going. Good luck!

2016-09-21 9:37 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Thanks for the vote of support! I finished! 7:46, and one of the last to cross the line, but still made finished within the time limit!
2016-09-21 6:42 PM
in reply to: #5196326

New user

Well done. That's crazy. My first will defo be a sprint.
2016-10-06 8:34 AM
in reply to: eshess

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by eshess My name is Emily and I live in Northern Utah. I fell into the tri world very recently, and basically, by accident. You see, I am a teacher who thoroughly enjoys her summers off Each summer, I pick a new hobby or sport to try, and this summer I happened to pick swimming, biking, and running. It was halfway through July that I even realized I had inadvertently picked tri sports, and that I ought to do some kind of race to culminate my summer. Not that I'm looking to "race," per se. I'd just like to FINISH something! So I just barely (as in this very morning!) registered for the HIM in Bear Lake, Utah in September. Yes, a HIM as my first race. Sometimes my thirst for adventure (or just my stupidity?) exceeds my common sense. I've always been into sports, but typically it's been only for fun.... before this summer, I never even bothered to calculate swim distances or running times. Before I became a member, I found myself on this site several times looking up tips and discussions. As a newbie, I've really appreciated the advice that experienced racers have shared... keep it up! I'm looking forward to stalking more discussions and maybe even sharing once I have something intelligent to contribute. I enjoy training alone, but would love to find like-minded people in my area. Thanks for reading! And thanks in advance for all the advice I'll get from you

Emily,

I did a Tri team at the Cache Valley Triathlon in Logan, Utah with my dad and brother last year.  My day lives in Dallas, my brother in St George, and I live in Oklahoma so it was a memorable experience. My dad has two aunts that lived in the Logan Area.  They and my grandmother grew up in Garden City.  I would like to make it back for the Bear Lake Brawl some year because of my connection to that area through my grandmother.  I remember picking Bear Lake Raspberries at my great uncle Lowe's place in Garden City as a kid. I bet it was really neat to participate in that race.  

Oh..and my first Triathlon was a 70.3 race too.  The race line was 10 minutes from my front door so it just made sence to do that as my first race even though it is longer than most people cut their teeth on in Triathlon.  I was used to being top ten at every 5K, 10K and half marathon I ran with up to 800 participants so finishing the 70.3 in the middle of the pack was a humbling experience but I was prepared for the race and did well for a first race.  My second race was IM 70.3 St. George.  I will be sticking with the 70.3 distance.  :-)

I always race better when I train with others, but since I started Triathlon 2 years ago I have done all my training alone simple because I can't find anyone else in my area doing these races to train with.  :-

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie in Utah Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

newbie form Utah

Started by BlaserB
Views: 778 Posts: 4

2011-09-26 2:17 PM geauxtri

Newbie from Utah

Started by rknight29
Views: 826 Posts: 2

2010-06-20 4:42 PM kburk09

newbie in Utah

Started by cbalzly
Views: 682 Posts: 6

2009-07-15 9:40 AM gcirongirl

Utah Newbie

Started by JBplyer
Views: 766 Posts: 4

2007-03-05 3:35 PM JBplyer

Newbie from Utah

Started by MarieDodo
Views: 689 Posts: 3

2005-03-30 4:28 PM tim_edwards
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : December 10, 2009
author : aklc
comments : 14
I lift my head to sight, thinking I must be pretty close to the first buoy already. My heart sank, I looked back and saw that I had only gone approximately 50 yards. This as going to be tough.
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!