General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf & Turf Aquathon Series - #5 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf & Turf Aquathon Series - #5 - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
United States
D3 Multisport
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 38m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Basically just driving to the event.
Event warmup:

Laid out my stuff and went for an easy run with Adam and Pete doing some dynamic stretching along the way. Got back, put on my wetsuit and watched the long course people go out first.
Swim
  • 15m 48s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Went out fine and actually felt pretty comfortable for not having been in the water for a few weeks. About 200 meters out a guy passed me at a pace I thought I could hold so I grabbed on to his feet and drafted. That lasted about 50 yards and then all of a sudden I lost my breath. Not sure why or what happened, but I more or less started hyperventilating and it was tough to control. I did some weird/awkward swim stroke to the buoy where I stood for about 10 seconds to collect myself and then came back in. On the way in I was better but had to go really slowly to control my breathing. Not sure if it was the colder water or just some swim fitness falling off (probably this one?) but I didn't feel like I could exhale or get decent breaths.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure what I could've done differently since I'm not sure what it was the result of. Probably swim some more leading up to it, but since my season is effectively over I wasn't too concerned about that.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Saw Adam and AJ talking as I ran to my towel. Got my wetsuit off, but couldn't balance enough to put my shoes on. Felt like I'd been tossin back jaegerbombs for half a day. Sat down to put on my shoes and socks.

Sit down sooner.
Run
  • 21m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Prior to the race I thought I'd see if I could PR on the run. Didn't happen. Adam was waiting for me so we ran the first mile together in 7'01". Shortly thereafter I felt a sideache coming on and told him not to let me hold him up since his pace was good and he didn't sound like he was breathing hard. For most of mile 2 my sideache took over and I ran it in 7'45". Felt better for the last 1.1 miles, which I ran in 6'57". First thought after finishing was that I went out too hard. That was wrong since I went out on target pace. I figured I'd run the first mile in 7', followed by 6'30"s for mile 2 and the same for the last 1.1, which would get me to 20'. Thought it might be possible since the first part of mile 2 is downhill and for whatever reason, I've always felt a lot better after the turn around. Then mile 3 is mostly flat and an easy run home. Didn't happen, but no big deal. That's what I get for not running recently.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with everyone and drank beers while avoiding mosquitoes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me.

Event comments:

Always a good time - starts promptly and is well organized with prizes/drawings at the end.

Last updated: 2006-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:48 | 750 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: ProMotion Full
Course: Out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time:  01:23
Overall: Below average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Below average
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:21:41 | 03.1 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on a gravel/dirt road. Kind of a soft surface.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-07 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Surf & Turf Aquathon Series - #5

2006-09-07 5:53 PM
in reply to: #533792

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Surf & Turf Aquathon Series - #5

You and Pete suffered the same fate last night on the swim, in that he was totally baffled by his lack of breathing and stroke rhythm.  I don't pretend to know the answer, but the element in common is that neither of you swam since the Rattlesnake, so that's definitely a possibility.

So when we run the Bolder Boulder next year, I just need to throw you in a pool for a 1500 and then we can pace together?  Sounds like a plan to me.

2006-09-07 9:03 PM
in reply to: #533792

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Surf & Turf Aquathon Series - #5

Mike is well-organized?  Why am I not surprised....

Didja have beer? Didja????

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf & Turf Aquathon Series - #5 Rss Feed