General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie - Missed 3 weeks of training, should I still race? (1 month til race) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-03 6:44 PM

Subject: Newbie - Missed 3 weeks of training, should I still race? (1 month til race)
Hello all,
I would love input on this:

I'm a newbie, never done a triathlon before. Following Joe Friel's beginner plan (sprint length) and doing great. With about 2 months til race (3 months already trained), I got an unexpected job in a new city and had to move, etc. Job is huge advance but has long hours so far. So I still squeezed in some workouts, but not even close to keep up with my training.

Bottom line: I've got 1 month til the sprint triathlon, and I really want to try to squeeze in my training and attempt the race. I know it won't be the performance I'd hoped for, but my heart is set on completing the race.

I've got the swim down, but the bike and run will be much more stressful at this point. It'll be a huge challenge. I don't want to attempt the race and have an awful time...wondering if more training is needed.

Should I try? This is the last race of the triathlon season. Or should I keep training and aim for April/May with a much better performance?

Race is October 1.

Thanks!

Edited by kmariesmyth 2016-09-03 6:46 PM

2016-09-03 8:05 PM
in reply to: kmariesmyth

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Newbie - Missed 3 weeks of training, should I still race? (1 month til race)
Bottom line, you've got the swim down, and that's key. You can basically roll through the bike and walk/run the run if you have to. So without knowing more about you, and the course etc. you can most likely do this a okay. Don't overdo this last month, just keep it going and enjoy your first time!
2016-09-03 8:23 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

Subject: RE: Newbie - Missed 3 weeks of training, should I still race? (1 month til race)
Thank you!! Much appreciated
2016-09-04 1:54 AM

User image

Hereford, England
I would. Even if you just use it as a training race. You'll get experience of waiting around to start, transitions and running off the bike after a swim (which I found far different from just brick session).

Also I'm guessing you've already paid for it, I'm too cheap to waste my money!!
2016-09-04 3:24 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I would go for it.  Just don't overdo the training between now and the race in an attempt to catch up on what you missed.

2016-09-04 9:42 PM
in reply to: #5197647

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
what can you do for running and biking?

2016-09-05 10:19 AM

User image

High Desert Heaven, Oregon
Do it! Coming down the finishing chute to the finish line is going to be a great reward for the training you've put in. You learn so much the first time you race that will pay off in your racing next Spring. Added benefit, you'll be able to encourage new triathletes with the story of how you were able to complete your first tri without executing a perfect training plan (which is a common thread you'll find amongst those of us who have other life obligations beyond tri).

Good luck and write up your race report!
2016-09-05 9:26 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

Thanks so much, guys! I'm excited and continuing with training...fingers crossed but feeling much better about it
2016-09-05 9:31 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

Continuing the training plan I've been using, for the run I have one sprint workout (short jog plus a series of sprints), one interval workout (3 min run/1 min walk), and one longer run. They all add up to about 30 minutes each. For the bike, I'm staying at 40-60 minute rides with interval periods throughout. I have one brick per week (30-40 minute bike plus 10-15 minute run) and thought about adding a shorter one (20-30 min bike plus 10 min run). I've cut back on the swim slightly, since I'm a swimmer and that's easiest. So I have one 600m swim and then a 1000 open water swim per week. Most of these are combo workouts. I do 30 min of yoga (home practice) throughout the week as well. And some lighter strength training. And a rest day. Definitely a rest day.

So I'm hoping the intervals and sprints will keep the leg strength up and the length will take care of the distance. I'll probably end up walking some of the run, but I'm totally okay with that
2016-09-06 8:37 PM

I would, for the sake of experience. No matter what happens, you will set up your personal bests. It will give you an objective to do even better next time.

And you will most probably love it. Triathlon is awesome!
2016-09-08 10:23 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

These are rhetorical...you don't need to answer me, but you should answer yourself...

What was your motivation to sign up for the race? 
Is it still there?

Can  you accept not hitting the goals you set initially and go into the race with reasonable expectations on how you will perform based on the training you are able to do? 

Your answers will point you to whether to do the race or not.  I would generally encourage you to race, but I don't know anything more than what you've posted. 

2016-09-08 4:44 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

I would give it a try, and like others have said, pace yourself out on the bike, run. It gets neglected, but practice T1 and T2. You can do this without taking too much time. Plan every step and how you will lay out your stuff. One of my goals this summer was to take a minute off of T1 and T2 combined. I was able to do that. You can make or lose a lot of time in transition, and the gains are good gains....no sweat involved!
2016-09-10 10:59 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
You will feel great when you cross the finish line - you will be proud that you didn't give up and how great will it be to say you've done a triathlon.

BTW, Congrats on your new job.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie - Missed 3 weeks of training, should I still race? (1 month til race) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

50 mile race 3 months before marathon "A" race

Started by TriPatrick
Views: 1226 Posts: 3

2012-06-17 2:36 PM BigDH

1 Week til First Race!!

Started by Cindymc
Views: 808 Posts: 5

2010-07-17 4:33 PM Karibu

HIM training.....4 month til race realistic?

Started by SKIKIPP
Views: 1064 Posts: 12

2010-06-14 3:41 PM trix

Train to race or race to train?

Started by gearboy
Views: 1790 Posts: 23

2008-05-09 8:52 PM Roadie gal

New Ryan Hall Training Vid (5-weeks til London)

Started by BrianPBN
Views: 569 Posts: 1

2008-04-10 7:43 AM BrianPBN
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I have my first tri coming up and I want to know how much I should train on race week and when do I stop completely?
date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.

date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!