United States
Competitor Group
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 43s
Overall Rank = 30/459
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/41
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45. Ate a breakfast of apple and peanut butter, and oatmeal. Headed over to transition around 6:30. I watched the Olympic race start, both as support and to get an idea of how the swim was organized.
Event warmup:

Easy 15' run at 7:30. Took a gel at 8:00, and headed down to the river.
Swim
  • 14m 57s
  • 700 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

The time trial start was really nice for me. It let me get going at my own pace with no crowding. The swim felt really good - I did not get passed once, and passed several others. I did start to get tired on the return leg. I came upon one of the yellow buoys, and I was stoked because it meant time to turn in. NOPE, that was for the super sprint. Fortunately, I hadn't already turned.

I'm really happy with the swim. My per 100 time decreased by almost 30 seconds. Still nowhere near what I can do in the pool, but it was a huge improvement.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure. I know I need more OWS practice. Maybe that will be a focus next season.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

I hustled more out of the water this time. Had some trouble getting my socks on.

I ran in my shoes, as I never practiced getting strapped in on the saddle. Looking back at the results, I think there's some hidden time to be gained in doing that. I also am considering dropping socks for the ride/run. If my feet can handle it.
Bike
  • 36m 39s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.30 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the one segment where I did not improve in terms of pace. The effort felt right, and I thought I went a lot faster than my time ended up proving. The course was really crowded, as it is a loop course. There were Olympic athletes still making their rounds, plus the sprint folks.

I probably could have attacked the downhills a bit harder. Aside from that, I am happy with how I rode, particularly given how crowded the course was.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

I was fortunate that my corral was very close to the bike in/out. I missed my spot, though, because the guy next to mine blocked my view as he was tooling around with his stuff (he was still in T1). Got my helmet and shoes off fast, and my race number and run shoes on fast.

Work on transitions! I think there is hidden time to be gained here. Still, this one went pretty smoothly, aside from my neighbor.
Run
  • 21m 58s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Honestly, I thought I was in a bit better position going into the run with respect to my AG than I actually was. The first mile felt a bit slow. The plan was to throw down the hammer for the last 2.1. I did speed up, but not a lot. Felt like I didn't have a lot in the tank, and that assumption mentioned above probably hurt my motivation. Still, finished 2nd in my AG for the run - not bad.

When coach says to throw down and go all out, listen to him.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience. I am still basically a rookie with respect to swimming and cycling. And, that shows in my times and how I place compared to my peers. I'm really happy to finish top-5. I think if I can make even moderate improvements in my swim and cycle, I could get pretty competitive at the AG level.

The other limitation was not taking the risk of crashing on the run. I probably had a bit more effort to give there, but wasn't willing to risk tanking with so little of the race remaining.

Event comments:

On race day, TriRock was very well organized. Lots of support, course was well-marked. Leading into it, though, I thought the organization was lacking. This was the first race where I didn't get an email the week before that concerned logistics, etc. Also, when I went to print my confirmation sheet, I wasn't in the system. At the expo, it took a lot of bouncing around to get what I needed to get that sorted out.

I really am not a fan of the bike course, as it was way too crowded. There were multiple occasions where I would have been considered drafting, but only because the course was so narrow and so crowded that I could not pass within the required time.

The entry fee is a bit on the pricey side (it is a Competitor Group race), but there are lots of amenities at the finish. In other words, you are really signing up for a party that has a race with it.

For me, I'd rather do something a bit more low-key, especially considering how tight the bike course was. If you want something that is more of an event, this is a great race. If you are a bit more price conscious, or don't want something with a bunch of bells and whistles, this is one to avoid.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:57 | 700 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/41
Overall: 0/459
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Rectangle, about 300 upriver, 50 across, 300 downriver, 50 across
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:39 | 12.4 miles | 20.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/41
Performance: Good
Avg HR 170(!)
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops. A few hills, one long and gradual, one short and steep.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:58 | 03.1 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/41
Performance: Average
AVG HR 181(!!!)
Course: Meandering through a park, finding a winding, curvy path. And then crossing the Colorado River twice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-09-06 1:20 PM

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: TriRock Austin - Sprint Course

2016-09-10 6:48 PM
in reply to: #5197840

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: TriRock Austin - Sprint Course
Solid race! Way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock Austin - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TriRock Austin - Sprint Course

Started by CGI Calendars
Views: 705 Posts: 1

2013-12-19 1:37 PM CGI Calendars

Started by blazergrn
Views: 1027 Posts: 2

2012-09-13 10:36 PM BigDH

Started by Gunsupfan
Views: 1093 Posts: 2

2012-09-05 8:29 AM captainkdp

TriRock Austin - Olympic Course

Started by rbalazs
Views: 1129 Posts: 1

2012-09-04 4:11 PM rbalazs

TriRock Austin - Olympic Course

Started by maximyus
Views: 1125 Posts: 1

2012-09-04 12:27 PM maximyus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.