General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon GPS Watch. Need help!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-11 2:39 PM

User image

Subject: Triathlon GPS Watch. Need help!!
Hi everyone! I'm still fairly new to the sport of triathlon having just finished my second one last month, but I'm already hooked and am looking to invest more time (and moolah) into this sport to improve on each discipline! To that end, I'm looking into buying a multisport GPS watch that can track my runs, bikes, and swim. Now I've done some research and am aware there are a multitude of choices in the current market (Garmin 735/920XT/Vivoactive Suunto Ambit3, TomTom Multisport GPS Watch) that each have their own specialty, but I'm looking for the following, in order of importance

1) Able to record all 3 disciplines fairly accurately
2) Must record heart rate monitor (including swim), with no HRM straps necessary
3) Battery life must be able to last a full half ironman, and ideally a full ironman (if I ever get to it)
4) Syncs effortlessly to fitness apps such as Runkeeper, Strava

The rest is less important to me. Which watches would you recommend, based on personal experiences, etc. ? Price is also a big consideration of mine, so if I can get something that is only a little "worse" (in the sense of 1-4 above) for much less the price.

Thanks!

2016-09-11 4:09 PM
in reply to: meowmasta

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Triathlon GPS Watch. Need help!!
Have you seen dcrainmaker website yet?
Ray does a very detailed analysis of all things that are tri-related tech.

2016-09-13 6:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Of the ones you list, you definitely do NOT want the Garmin vivoactiv or the Tom Tom multisport (not enough functionality for triathletes). I don't know much about the Suunto...

Of the remaining, you would probably want the Garmin 920xt over the 735xt because of longer battery life (which would only be an issue for a full ironman, not a half). The 735xt has a nicer design, though. If you are willing to go one generation back for less money, you could go with the 910xt (which is a great watch, but a bit bulkier and not designed to wear all day, like the 920xt and the 735xt).

However, you should know that ONLY the 735xt has the built-in HRM, and it is not designed for swimming. For that you would need the HR-swim strap (and only get the data to look at later). You actually can use the built-in HRM in the water, but not in swim mode (I assume because it doesn't give reliable data when you are moving your arms, so Garmin disabled that function).

I second the recommendation to check out http://www.dcrainmaker.com/who has lots of great info.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2016-09-13 6:23 PM
2016-09-13 8:39 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Thank you! I haven't actually checked out that website until the previous poster mentioned it, but it's definitely very thorough and extremely helpful! Having said that, I was already leaning towards a Garmin 735XT or 920 XT, so it's really nice to hear some positive feedback on that as well
2016-10-25 6:28 AM
in reply to: #5198344

What did you go for in the end?any feedback?
2016-11-01 7:48 PM
in reply to: TriR

User image

Hi!

I ended up going with Garmin 920XT, and am very happy with my purchase.

2016-11-06 3:35 AM
in reply to: #5202876

User image

I've had Suunto in the past - it's a good product but I felt at the end of the day Garmin 920xt wins for ease of use.

I'm extremely happy with my Garmin, but you need the HRM strap. I have the strap that works in the pool, so in able to get some pretty accurate data during my swims.
2016-11-06 2:20 PM
in reply to: ginger1981

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by ginger1981

I've had Suunto in the past - it's a good product but I felt at the end of the day Garmin 920xt wins for ease of use.

I'm extremely happy with my Garmin, but you need the HRM strap. I have the strap that works in the pool, so in able to get some pretty accurate data during my swims.

Just out of curiosity, ( I am too lazy to go and look it up
Does the pool HRM strap come bundled, or is it an additional purchase?

2016-11-07 7:12 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Originally posted by triosaurus

Originally posted by ginger1981

Just out of curiosity, ( I am too lazy to go and look it up
Does the pool HRM strap come bundled, or is it an additional purchase?

Hi! They sell in a few different packages. I ended up going for the Tri bundle which includes both a HRM Tri strap and a HRM swim specific strap (dcrainmaker goes into some lengths to illustrate the differences in material and usage; one is made for pool swimming, where it's important that the strap stays in place from constant wall pushoffs vs the other which is a more general HRM strap designed for all 3 disciplines of the tri) . I've used both straps for running and pool swimming, and I can say that the straps stay put very well (HRM Tri for run, HRM swim for lap swims). If you are an Amazon prime member, you can get the full bundle for $350 right now.
2017-01-25 7:01 PM
in reply to: meowmasta

Good choice with the 920XT! LOVE mine
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon GPS Watch. Need help!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help...need gps watch and bike computer but on a budget...Ant+ or Bluetooth

Started by asp9208
Views: 3172 Posts: 12

2014-03-18 9:39 AM Wayne@PolarUSA

Our Soleus 1.0 GPS & Timex Marathon GPS watch comparison

Started by Donto
Views: 4540 Posts: 1

2012-07-13 5:46 PM Donto