Subaru Triathlon Series
14C / 57F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 17m 11s
Overall Rank = 43/307
Age Group = M19-
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Pre-race routine:

Welcome to Dancing With Ernesto. I am your host jknapman and will now take you on a journey, a wet, wild jouney. Involving no waterslides or theme parks. So I had spent the week at the cottage gearing for this race. Pasta the night before as usual. We got up pretty early that morning to clean the cottage. Vaccuum, pack, etc. Then the two hour drive to Guelph. We aimed to be there for noon as to not be stopped at the gate from the TAT. We got there at 20-to so we went to the local Tim's. Upon arrival I set up transition, pumped tires, made sure my jersey zipper was undone (see last two RR's). But then I noticed something. One of my bar end plugs was missing! This is my warm-up.
Event warmup:

I run to the trailer and truck bed. Nada. I look for the vendors bu I don't see any of the shops. Over the the Info booth. "Yeah, they've left for the day because of the rain" DAMN! I start asking people for a spare to no avail. In the end the RD told me to use electrical tape and hope OAT didn't notice. Such a nice guy, Mitch. So there was my warm up. But me thinking the race started at 2:00 (I KEW it started at 1:30 but I wasn't thinking). Then I meet up with Jon (jonow6). He racks next to me so we chat as we finish set up. Then tring at 44 comes by. good to see all these Bters (but were is Elly). I only had time to take one Gu. I usually take 2. Crap. So I don the wetsuit and head to the lake with Jon. Splashed around a bit and got wet the headed for the start.
Swim
  • 16m 5s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow my first beach start! I felt like the guy in the Cliff Bar commercial. I did ok the first 100m. But I should have started upfront more instead of at the back. So I did swim over some people. On the first half I did feel out of it. But near the beginning I veered waaaay to the left. Oops! so I cut back in. (Later I told my family that it was me but turns out another guy behind me went so far out he had to be stooped by a kayak. No that was not me). Once I was in the final strech I really turned it on. Felt much better. Overall it was slower than Belwood. If it wasn't for the dismal first Half I think I could've boken 15mins.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up properly so I can get into my groove quicker. Like I said, I'm sure my second half was smokin' (for me at least). Oh, and sight more in the beginning :).
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Googles up, pull down cord, top of wetsuit down, run!
Wetsuit was stuck but not like Belwood. Jumped on bike and went.

Figure out how to stop getting stuck at the ankles.
Bike
  • 35m 45s
  • 20 kms
  • 33.57 km/hr
Comments:

So I got on the bike and it started raining. Oh joy. But I came out of T1 with a familiar face. Carsen, a duathlete in my AG (I volunteered with/ crossed the finish line before him in Belwood). So we get out of the park. But I felt way out of it the first 5k. A tad sick to the stomach even. It quickly passed however. I noticed I could still strom up the hills faster than most. But I found myself not passing as much as belwood, although at similar speeds. I think I came out of the water with some equal cyclist (well caught them just before the turn around or they caught me). There were three of us playing tag (NOT drafting ;)). Soon thereafter the bike leg was over. All and all I felt good about it. But I wished I was in the groove for the first 5k. That definatly would have helped. I did have a Gu just before the turn around (30mins into race?).

Feel better the first 5k. I think I would have been closer to 35km/h (PB) but something definatly felt wrong). Oh well, the guys I rode with made me go faster in the wet.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

hopped off the bike and this is when I felt it. At my metatarsuls (sp?) where my cleat is? Yeah, no feeling. Anyway, I peel from the entrance from my rack and I hear Kevin announce "From Oakville, Jordan K!" Big smile on my face at this point. Shoes out of plasic bag, on and out!

Nothing, everything went as smooth as could be. Very impressed.
Run
  • 22m 32s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 31s  min/km
Comments:

Happy happy happy! I feel exstatic about this run! I started off at a pace comparable to belwood and slowly picked up the pace. I was still getting passed but not as often. And the last hill and TA#2 I let someone get away from me. Maintained, and kicked it for the last 300m! Yeah!!!!

I might hold a faster past throughout. I had maybe too much kick left but its a 4:31 pace so I'm glad all and all.
Post race
Warm down:

AHHH!!! Finally my stomach issues were better. Legs hurt more than stomache which is good. Met up with my families and Tring at 44 again. not much to add exept put on dry clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Umm.. rain, wind, outofitness.

Event comments:

Despite the weather this was a really fun race.

Last updated: 2006-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:05 | 750 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 97/307
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca Speedsuit
Course: Clockwise rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:45 | 20 kms | 33.57 km/hr
Age Group: 8/17
Overall: 44/307
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: out and back, hills.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:32 | 05 kms | 04m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 66/307
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back to another out and back. Two TA's.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-07 9:24 PM

Master
Subject: Guelph Lake II Sprint

2006-09-07 9:44 PM
in reply to: #534027

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake II Sprint
WOW!  A tri that starts at 2pm, when it's ... warm?  Great Job!  So happy for your run, great bike, and you'll get them (after the ice cover melts) on the swim next season!  Siteing is hard!  GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
2006-09-07 11:14 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Nice Race Junior!
2006-09-08 6:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph

Nice race especially considering the conditions we faced and you guys had it worse in the sprint it really got rainy & windy in the afternoon. Nice run pace inspires me !! runnings my worst leg (pun intended). On the wetsuit ankle thing try Pam or bodyglide.

2006-09-08 2:23 PM

Master

THANKS GUYS! (and JANICE)!

I can't understand why my "skin" hangs up on my ankles. I load up on bodyglide. I mean I don't shave my legs so there is a TON on there. Weird.

2006-09-08 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
nice race.

2006-09-09 10:49 AM

Master
Oh I forgot to mention. In the post race draw I scored a nice headsweats visor from Subaru.
2006-11-13 5:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

Just noticed this RR!  Great report, and sounds like overall you had a good race.  Good thing they didn't look too close at your bars.

The leader of my Tri Training Group in Hawaii was a fanatic about getting in the water and doing a specific warmup routine.  I still try to do it every race, but there is one part that looks funny - you kick and move your arms silly fast to get the HR up - people look at you like you are strange ... and hey, maybe the give me a little more room.  Anyway, nice RR and race.  Glad to see you enjoyed your run so much!

How's the Headsweats Visor?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake II Sprint Rss Feed