General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Laberal Tear? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-13 3:19 PM

Subject: Hip Laberal Tear?
Anyone come back from hip Laberal tear repair surgery to race again? I'm 14 days post op from a large tear that required four anchors, CAM resection, and capsule repair. I'm riding my bike with zero resistance on the trainer, but I fear I'll never really run again.

2016-10-03 6:53 AM
in reply to: MNHockey

Subject: RE: Hip Laberal Tear?
I really don't have any idea about it. One of my friend, a good footballer has suffered from hip labral tear and doctor told him to quit football. Till then I have never seen him playing and one of my grandfather has also faced a similar problem in the past. But now as he is very old and family people are very busy at their work and won't be able to look at him and care for him then in such case opted for assisted living in NJ for short duration of time.

2016-10-31 9:37 AM
in reply to: MNHockey

I'm new the Tri scene but had surgery in 2010 (age 23) to correct a tear in my Laberum and reshape the CAM/Pincer (FAI both types) with a few anchors in there for good measure.

It depends entirely on the recovery and how you treat yourself afterwards. When I go for my longer runs (12-13 miles) I sometimes get some discomfort during recovery but with a good recovery program then I've never felt it's held me back but I would imagine it varies from person to person.

I had to give up a lot of the things I enjoyed doing as I couldn't handle to lateral movements very well (Football/soccer, martial arts, tennis etc) however I'm really enjoying the training for triathlon because it doesn't involve a huge amount of side to side motion which usually causes my pain.

I don't know what level you race at, but I'm optimistic about your chances of running again unless the damage prior to the tear was too bad. What has your doctor said? Given that you've had a CAM resection, is any training good for you until recovery? I was off all weight bearing for 6 weeks post operation and 3 months total rehab for the leg muscles.

Hope that gives you a little confidence, but it won't be a short term fix or you may cause yourself some long term problems. Take it slow!
2018-10-19 7:45 AM
in reply to: trihard66

Nice to hear this..
2018-10-19 11:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

It probably depends on how old you are and what your expectations are.  You can do whatever you decide to do.....the trick is to train your brain to accept different levels and results as you go forward,

I'm 58.  3 knee surgeries, 2 lower back surgeries, femoral stress fracture, and arthritis in both hips.....basically the things you get over a lifetime of hard activity.  I still go out for a run 2 or 3 days a week and I still lift weights 3 days a week......and my left shoulder will soon require repair. I'm no longer remotely fast, or racing anything but an even older body that's bearing down on me, but it feels the same.  It's a run, or a bike ride, or a long day of walking hunting quail, wading in a duck hunt, or whatever. 

If you are younger you will likely heal better, and maybe faster, then I can anymore, so there's that.....but stay with it.  We're all fighting a losing battle ultimately, so you might as well keep swinging along the way.  You will find you can enjoy running in spite of the things that take your speed away.....it's a different race, but you'll still be racing.

Not doing triathlon is a loooooong way from the end of the road.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-10-19 11:36 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Laberal Tear? Rss Feed