General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet-suit ?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-19 5:50 PM

Subject: Wet-suit ??
The triathlon rules state that any wet-suit made of non-textile materials is prohibited, this includes neoprene. Only nylon or Lycra material is allowed.... Every wet-suit I find online is neoprene. Are these illegal? What should I get? The neoprene buoyancy sounds real nice.... but is it illegal???

2016-09-20 6:39 AM
in reply to: WalkingRiver

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Wet-suit ??
You are confused about the rules. The rules you are looking at are for an event when water temperatures are warm enough for the race to be declared "not wetsuit legal". It varies a bit with different countries and sponsoring organizations, but basically you would be looking at water temps below about 75-77 degrees for amateurs. (Forgive me--I don't know the exact temps off the top of my head as I mostly race in SE Asia where you almost never wear a wetsuit, occasionally in North America or elsewhere, but water has always below 72, not borderline, there). You can look up the borderline temperature on the organizer's website.

When a race IS "wetsuit legal", you CAN wear a neoprene wetsuit, and most people would as it gives you a speed boost due to the additional buoyancy, as well as keeping you warm. If the race has really cold water, it may actually require people to wear wetsuits for safety reasons. Otherwise they would be optional until the temps hit the organizer's "borderline" temperature. Above that, you have to swim in your trisuit or swimsuit, no wetsuits allowed. When temps are right below the borderline, most triathletes will still show up in full wetsuits, but you may find some stronger swimmers electing not to wear them for reasons like comfort or (in a short race like a sprint) wanting to save time in transition.

For the "in it to win it" crowd who want to spare no expense, there are suits called swim skins made of nylon or lycra that go on over the trisuit and can be worn when a race is not wetsuit legal. They don't aid in buoyancy, but can improve your hydrodynamics and help you pick up a few seconds, maybe. If thinking of the latter, check the materials. I nearly bought a swim skin on sale in Australia that was NOT legal for non-wetsuit races under current rules. Apparently these have changed since the product was developed, but people still use them for training. The merchant was nice enough to let me know that before I snapped it up as a bargain!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet-suit ?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Xterra Vortex 3 Wetsuit or Iron Man Aqua Sphere Racer Wetsuit

Started by cccoles
Views: 3832 Posts: 10

2010-06-20 7:40 PM afdave

Wetsuit vs. Non-Wetsuit Swim Test

Started by max
Views: 2372 Posts: 8

2005-08-19 3:12 PM See Mom Run

Wetsuit, no wetsuit, or maybe just rent...

Started by shadowfax
Views: 1156 Posts: 2

2005-07-17 6:57 PM us50090

tri wetsuits vs. winsurf wetsuits

Started by capnsantini
Views: 1400 Posts: 6

2005-07-03 11:08 AM T in Liberty Lake

1st Tri - To wetsuit or not to wetsuit

Started by regimom
Views: 2686 Posts: 11

2005-06-16 2:50 PM us50090
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 7
Being lean isn't all wine and roses. The reduction in body fat has, unfortunately, also made me a slower swimmer. I have also become a real wimp in cold of any kind.