General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What happens when you get cramps? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-30 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: What happens when you get cramps?
I'm asking in a physiological sense (although my fitness could be the culprit.....I don't know). I got them last weekend in a 70.3 race.......and I've never cramped in my life.

I don't "think" I was dehydrated. If I was, I don't know what I could do differently (short of reducing my effort). I tried to stay ahead of my hydration.....but, I might have gotten behind and just tried to catch up. I was hydrated, before the gun.....maybe better than ever. I took in an extra bottle (water) on the bike........even had to pee during the bike leg, once. I'm pretty sure (without checking) I was getting 300 mg of sodium from my drink alone. Add in a little more from my food. I also had 3 "scoops" of base salts in each bottle (did this on a recommendation.....but I have no idea how many mg this adds).

Felt OK on the bike. HR was higher than normal. It was 92 (feels like 95). I know that's a contributor.

Started cramping (calves) at mile 7 of the run. Awful, from there to the chute (and I cramped IN the finisher chute, too). I couldn't go 5 running steps at the end, without cramping.

I'd like to know why this happens......in hopes I can make it never happen again.

Thanks.

2016-09-30 2:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: What happens when you get cramps?

Generally you start cramping when you push harder than your fitness allows.  Heat, hydration, and salt levels are factors into how hard you can push and for how long, but the biggest issue is usually pacing and fitness.

IOW, if you can run a half marathon in 1:40 in 65 degree weather and 40% humidity, you shouldn't expect to run that same time in 95 degree weather and 80% humidity just because you drink more water and take in more salt.  You need to slow down or increase your fitness is you expect to maintain that pace in hotter conditions.

Edited by Jason N 2016-09-30 2:41 PM
2016-09-30 3:06 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

My hypothesis is that cramps are caused by not enough oxygen. I started to wonder because the only time I get cramps is during a swim--during anything else, my muscles just fatigue and stop, they don't cramp. I have also noticed that when I trail race at high altitude, a lot of people get muscle cramps in the first half mile or so, but I never see that when I race near sea level (which is much more common).

During the run of the last race I did, some guy was being very theatrical about his quads cramping. I was running at a steady pace, and he would run ahead of me then stop and yell and whine. After about the third time I passed him, I told him to take slow, deep, deliberate breaths. He did and he passed me one more time. At the end of the race, he found me and told me that the breathing had gotten rid of the cramps.
2016-09-30 3:07 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I'm assuming the same thing applies on the bike (% of FTP needs to be adjusted for the heat). I probably pushed that.
2016-09-30 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I train and race a lot in those conditions and actually have very rarely cramped in them. Where I tend to get them is actually in cooler races where I have pushed the bike really hard, either due to going after ambitious time goals and/or the course being tough due to wind or hills. I have a tendency to ride in too high a gear/low cadence on those and it comes back to bite me on the run. That has been true across the board, from sprint to HIM, and at races with temps in the 50's to the 90's. Another issue is my approach to transition. Cramps are much more likely to be a problem on the run if I don't ease off in the final kilometer or so and get into an easier gear. The other possible trigger is my running form. I tend to run on the balls of my feet and in a long race, that sometimes does a number on the muscles at the sides of my shins, particularly if I then go up on my toes to run up a hill. For me it is very much a muscular fatigue issue. I am really careful about hydration and electrolytes as that can be a life-or-death matter in extreme conditions, and I don't think I've had cramps triggered specifically by dehydration or electrolyte issues. But you do have to slow down a bit in those conditions. How much varies on how adapted you are to them, but even someone who lives most of the year in the tropics like me is just not as fast as in cooler conditions.

Case in point--I had hard efforts and good placing at two HIM about 10 weeks apart (Vietnam and Calgary) this year. Vietnam was a flat, "fast" course (except for heat) and I did 5:31 with temps in the mid-80's to low 90's and high humidity. Calgary was a much more challenging bike course, and I did 5:16. (Probably more like 5:18 on a standard course as swim was a bit short.), with temps ranging from low 50's to mid 60's There was roughly a five-minute difference for both bike and run splits, at a similar effort level. (The rest would be due to long transitions at the Vietnam race.) And I cramped at Calgary (beginning and end of run), not Vietnam. I would attribute that to incorrect gearing and high effort on the bike, and not easing off at all as I approached T2.

Suffice to say, there are a lot of possible causes, and not all of them have to do with hydration an electrolyte balance.
2016-09-30 10:14 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would definitely back off the effort in hot, humid conditions. I was using times above but realize that's not valid to compare across courses. My normalized power (using that as there was more variability at Calgary due to hills and wind) was 70% of FTP at the Vietnam race, 78% in Calgary. I think particularly if the run conditions will be very hot, you need to be conservative on the bike, or you may have issues not only with hydration but muscular fatigue and energy levels in general, since the circulatory system is working harder to both cool the body and keep you moving forward.

2016-10-02 3:55 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Jason pretty much summed it up, but I do think there a few individual nuances from time to time. I do get fiesty hammies when running hard or long off a hard bike session. And not necessarily at a cusp of fitness level pace per se. If I run the equivalent as a solo effort they really won't "act up", but off a hard bike effort they start talking
2016-10-02 6:07 PM

User image

Originally posted by nc452010 I'm assuming the same thing applies on the bike (% of FTP needs to be adjusted for the heat). I probably pushed that.

Yes.  It's really no different than lowering your target % of FTP for longer races.  How much lower you go just depends on how well you personally do in heat...again no different than how much you adjust for longer races based on how your endurance is.  Not everyone is the same, but in general adjustments always need to be made. 

2016-10-02 7:01 PM
in reply to: #5200395

User image

, North Carolina
When I get cramps. I fall down. Then I roll around in the dirt. Probably holler some. Caught the cramps at a spartan race. Made it back to the truck only to lock up again. Must have been loud. Someone came and rubbed my calf, never opened my eyes to look.

But, that's me
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What happens when you get cramps? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Getting Down, Getting Down, Trying to ride the weight loss train to Kona

Started by vagus
Views: 1298 Posts: 1

2012-04-30 10:44 AM vagus

What happens when you stop getting better? Pages: 1 2

Started by BuckHamilton
Views: 2615 Posts: 30

2011-08-04 1:02 PM jjupiter100

CRAMP.....CRAMP......CRAMP.....

Started by riser
Views: 1164 Posts: 4

2004-11-07 9:59 PM NoisyD

getting rid of that side cramp?

Started by Live2Tri
Views: 907 Posts: 11

2004-08-16 7:30 PM CindyK

Getting cramps/stitch in "bricks"

Started by regaldozer
Views: 1320 Posts: 9

2004-03-20 8:13 PM regaldozer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 16, 2014
author : mberries
comments : 2
Life is a series of challenges, large and small, that we meet with the resources we have available. Completing an Ironman distance by wheelchair takes a little help from your friends.

date : August 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
As I was pulling my wetsuit off while standing in the water, my left calf cramped such that my foot was pointed, the muscle was rock hard, and I could not pull my foot out of point for 30 seconds.
date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : September 17, 2007
Muscle cramps occur in 67% of triathletes. This article discusses several theories on the causes of cramps and what to do if you get one and how to prevent cramps.

date : May 21, 2007
comments : 2
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.
date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.