General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Irish looking for help: Can You Help Me Pick An Olympic Triathalon in USA? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-04 6:40 AM

Subject: Irish looking for help: Can You Help Me Pick An Olympic Triathalon in USA?
Hey everyone!

My name is Declan and I'm posting from Dublin, Ireland. Looking for an olympic triathalon in the USA for 2017. I've started training now but I really need a target to aim for to maximise training effectiveness.

I'm looking for a:

-Olympic Triathalon (I am a complete beginner but have begun training now).
-March - August 2017
-Cool Venue
-Preferred Cities: Somewhere on the east coast (No.1 NYC, Chicago, Boston).
-It will be mixed with site seeing.

I have no idea where to start and would love a hand here if anyone knows of a good olympic race.

Dec.

2016-10-04 8:11 AM
in reply to: DecTriNeedThis

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Irish looking for help: Can You Help Me Pick An Olympic Triathalon in USA?
I've got a very young nephew named Declan I live in the midwest, but I use runningintheusa.com quite a bit to look for races. You can specify states, dates, and triathlon. Hope it helps!
2016-10-04 9:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Irish looking for help: Can You Help Me Pick An Olympic Triathalon in USA?

Also, trifind.com works well for finding races, but most of them aren't posted out there yet (maybe December).

Edited by jmhpsu93 2016-10-04 9:11 AM
2016-10-04 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Even though it is slightly out of your timeframe, I want to tell a cautionary tale NOT to pick the Nation's Tri in DC, which is held in September. 3 out of the last 6 years they have had to cancel the swim. For a local like me, that would be disappointing, but to travel across the ocean for it and not be able to do the swim would be super sad.
2016-10-04 9:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Little shorter then an Oly but fun race.  There's plenty of others but if you're looking for unique and fun way to start a race. 

http://delmosports.com/escape-the-cape-new-jersey-triathlon-voted-the-1/

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-10-04 9:58 AM
2016-10-04 11:42 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Little shorter then an Oly but fun race.  There's plenty of others but if you're looking for unique and fun way to start a race. 

Escape the cape sells out within a week or 2 usually. It opened yesterday for registration and is on June 4th, but it is a unique event going out on a ferry and jumping off to start your race.

If your looking for March for a triathlon you most likely will have to head south more. NY, PA, Boston is still too cold for the most part, many times we still have snow on the ground in March. May and June is when the tri's start in this part of the country.

2016-10-04 11:59 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Chicago for sure! Because I'm from Chicago haha
But on a serious note, it is a VERY WELL organized event. It is great for first-timers and experienced pro's. They have plenty of people on the course, as well as volunteers. Their pre-race expo is really cool and helps with pre-race anxiety.
The course is not too challenging, which may be important for beginners. It is also NOT too crowded.
- swim is in the lake, but it's a close harbor so no worries about huge waves. You will have nice scenery with museums and Buckingham Fountain on your side - in case somebody likes to look around during swim.
- transition is very well organized
- biking is super cool, because you ride on the Lake Shore Drive - you have the lake on one side and the city - with all its greatness (including parks and the skyline) on the other side. The second half of the ride is in lower course of Wacker, which is where they filmed Batman! So you get an opportunity to ride in those tunnels and, trust me, it is super cool! Then Bussy road, which again, is only open for cars, so Chicago tri is the only way to ride it on the bike. It is also really great for spectators, because they can watch you from the above.
- run is the run, nothing spectacular haha but you will run along the lake shore through the museum campus, which is fun.

Post-race festival is cool as well. Good food, great beer, overall everyone is very happy and friendly.

I don't like huge fancy-shmancy events, I am a big fan of local races, but this one is the big one I truly love, for the reasons above. I did both, Sprint and Olympic for this one and I recommend it to everyone.

Also, every year they have A LOT of participants from other countries and they do their best to accommodate those folks.
2016-10-04 12:21 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Escape the cape sells out within a week or 2 usually. It opened yesterday for registration and is on June 4th, but it is a unique event going out on a ferry and jumping off to start your race. If your looking for March for a triathlon you most likely will have to head south more. NY, PA, Boston is still too cold for the most part, many times we still have snow on the ground in March. May and June is when the tri's start in this part of the country.

I said the same to some friends yesterday trying to get everyone to sign up now.  They pointed out they have gotten in via the "lottery" the last few years.  I looked up last year and it didn't sell out until February or May.  But that could've been him jacking up the price to early bird $200 for a sprint.    I had to look it up because they said I was a sucker for believing the hype.    

2016-10-04 1:13 PM

User image

New Jersey State Triathlon July 23, 2017. 1hr from NYC big race well run, lots of high level athletes. Sprint the day before if you want to double up!
2016-10-04 1:14 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by DecTriNeedThis  -Preferred Cities: Somewhere on the east coast (No.1 NYC, Chicago, Boston). 

Just to make sure it's semantics and not unfamiliarity with the geography, Chicago is about 850 & 1,000 miles straight west of NYC & Boston. Hardly on the east coast. So curious just how big the potential area is. Honest question as there have been people who don't realize how far apart some areas are.

2016-10-07 1:39 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I'd look for a race that lines up well with your ability to train.  What will be your training weather if you do an early season (May-June) tri?  What will your training weather be if you do a mid-season (July-August) tri?  Then what will it be if you do a late season (Sept-Oct) tri? 

What might be unfortunate would sign up for a mid-season tri, train in relatively cool Dublin and then come to the US where you're racing in 95F (35C) temps.  Equally unfortunate would be to train in a relatively flat area and pick a race with brutal hills. 

Do you have a wetsuit?  Later season races may have water temps warm enough to swim without a wetsuit. 

Big cities show up on the map and are easier to fly into/out of, but the race opportunities may be quite limited because closing roads impacts so many people.  The race experience may also be not what you expect (someone mentioned the Chicago triathlon, with almost 10,000 participants.  You may sit around almost all day WAITING for your race to start) . 

I'm all for combining destination vacation with triathlon.  I did IMCdA and we used it to visit Glacier, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, etc.  I did Vineman and we used it to visit San Francisco, Sonoma Valley, and Yosimite.  You can hit major metro areas (NYC, Boston) even if you do an "out of the way" race.  Are you shipping your bike or renting one when you get here?  (it's an option, especially on a shorter race).  If you ship, what are you doing with your bike while you're doing tourist things in NYC? 

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Irish looking for help: Can You Help Me Pick An Olympic Triathalon in USA? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help,help, help with electrolyte/BP issue!!

Started by Cayenne
Views: 1048 Posts: 2

2011-06-26 12:15 PM LittleCat

HELP HELP HELP!

Started by sundiego
Views: 1287 Posts: 5

2011-02-18 12:49 PM GLC1968

HELP, HELP, HELP

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 1607 Posts: 17

2007-08-15 8:00 AM oipolloi

HELP, HELP, HELP

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 994 Posts: 1

2007-07-31 9:19 PM Shermbelle

Lent - its an Irish thing, but it helps! Pages: 1 2

Started by Irish Stu
Views: 2512 Posts: 35

2005-03-29 4:06 PM Irish Stu
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.