Hartford Marathon Foundation
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 22m 38s
Overall Rank = 202/1816
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/154
Pre-race routine:

This marathon was exactly six weeks after my IM debut, so the six weeks in between were basically recover from the IM, get a few quality runs in, rest up for the marathon. The only reason I ran this is that I get 10 extra minutes for my BQ time thanks to the AG bump, and the temptation was too much to resist. A 3:25 seemed very doable, though my longest run the prior six weeks was 14 miles so I was hopeful the IM training left me with enough endurance to last the distance. I was targeting 3:20 for a five minute BQ cushion.
Event warmup:

DW was doing the HM. We were up early for my usual PB&J sandwich, and an early arrival in Hartford to get good parking. I hit the portapotty a few times to empty the tank, then a quick five minute warm up jog. I earned 1st corral seeding, so I was able to take my time getting to the start line. It was chilly, so I wore gloves to go with my shorts and tri club tech tee.
Run
  • 3h 22m 38s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

BQ pace was 7:49, and goal pace was 7:38. For the first 10 miles, I ran right around goal pace and it felt easy. I felt like I was out for a morning jog. I would have ran harder if I had more confidence, but the lack of any long runs the past six weeks made me proceed with caution.

Coach wanted me to pick up the effort the second 10 miles, but I was feeling ok and didn't want to push my luck. Goal pace felt fine and I had no reason to run harder. I hit the 13.1 split right on target (1:40) and I grew confident that I had another 1:40 HM in me. My pace started to slip just a little at mile 17, then a little more after mile 20. I was still ahead of BQ pace though,

I wanted to run the last 10K fast, but at this point I was in survival mode. I had a three minute cushion on my BQ and was trying like heck not to give too much back. My pace slowed a bit in miles 21-23, so I knew I had to run the final 5K as hard as I could. My lack of LR's was apparent, but I was still hanging in there. I knew I had the BQ but I needed to squeeze out as many seconds as I could to increase my chances of actually getting in. The last 5K was painful with lots of grunting and grimacing.

My first glance of the finish clock saw 3:22:30, so I sprinted the final bit as hard as I could to save precious seconds. Official time was 3:22:38. I left it all out there, and I was in deep pain when I stopped running. After eight marathons, I finally got my BQ. This was also my second fastest marathon.
What would you do differently?:

Well actually training for the marathon would probably help. Given where my current conditioning is, I ran this about as well as I could have, and four minutes faster than 2015 when I was well trained for it.
Post race
Warm down:

A friend of mine was a finish line volunteer and stayed with me to make sure I was ok, and I appreciated having her by my side. I found DW (who PR'd the HM!) and got a much needed hug. I got my medal and found a place to sit for about 10 minutes, thoroughly enjoying and soaking in my new status as a Boston qualifier.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not specifically training for the marathon.

Event comments:

I've done this marathon four times and the half marathon twice. It is always very well organized with plenty of volunteers, a closed course, and lots of water stations. And you can't beat New England on a cool October morning.

Last updated: 2016-10-10 12:00 AM
Running
03:22:38 | 26.2 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/154
Overall: 154/1816
Performance: Good
Course: Some inclines, a few gently rolling hills, but otherwise a pretty fast marathon course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-10-10 11:48 AM

User image

Subject: Hartford Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hartford Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hartford Marathon

Started by jlorusso
Views: 1232 Posts: 2

2009-10-15 11:12 AM marymosc13

Hartford Marathon

Started by BaitBoy
Views: 2301 Posts: 11

2008-10-13 9:07 PM hdhtri

Hartford Marathon

Started by jesswah
Views: 2157 Posts: 12

2008-10-27 4:48 PM LJR

United Technologies Greater Hartford Marathon

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 1105 Posts: 1

2006-10-29 1:30 PM kaburns1214

Hartford Marathon Huck Finn 5K

Started by PollyC
Views: 1549 Posts: 7

2006-10-16 6:30 AM CptnJackSparrow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"