General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So I noticed something about this site Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-20 1:51 PM

User image

New user
Dallas TX
Subject: So I noticed something about this site

Seems to be a lot of chicks on here !!

I wasnt expecting that, which is great and all I just have a few questions.

How did u get roped into triathlons?

I got my wife to do a local fun ride with me 15miler, but thats about it.
She hates (really hates) running, which is fine.

So I quess what im wondering is how did u get into the sport?

And how can i convince her to get more involved in sports.

Thanks

2004-07-20 1:58 PM
in reply to: #39069

Regular
Minneapolis
Subject: RE: So I noticed something about this site
Just my two cents: You can't convince her. As you well know, it takes a lot of discipline to make yourself get out there and "just do it"—and it has to come from yourself...not from a spouse, friend, whatever. You can certainly make it easier by doing things together (which makes it fun), pitching in 50/50 on the house and other responsibilities so that she feels she has the time and is not being pulled in a hundred directions every day. Or you might try some new sports with her, to see what she likes best. But when push comes to shove, it really has to be something she wants to do, or she won't stick with it through those first grueling months. All right, I guess that was about five cents worth.
2004-07-20 2:19 PM

Connecticut
Yeah, I would have to agree with pammy. I first decided to do a tri because it was local and I didn't know there was such thing as a sprint (I could actually do most of it) so I figured why not tri?...I guess now I'm hooked (even though I've only done one so far)...it might be nice to take some short training rides/runs with her...that way you can train and she can come along and see what she thinks...and she'll feel included in what you're doing - and who knows, maybe after some training sessions with you she'll realize she's fully capable of competing in a sprint and she'll want to do it...
2004-07-20 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Chris:

I had been lifting weights for about 18 months, had lost 20 pounds and wasn't making anymore progress. I was in the gym one day and saw a brochure, AARP Triumph, 400 yard swim, 20k bike, 5k run. I was 44 at the time and thought how fast can those old people be??(boy was I suprised!), Anyway I said to myself, I used to swim (30 years ago), ride a bike, ok all I gotta do is keep the wheels turning, hmmm run, well I can always walk.

This was July 2001. I went to a Masters swim class and thought I'm gonna drown, so I got a coach. Got rid of my Target special bike and got a road bike (but it was too big...another thread) and started walk/running.

Did my first tri in December 2001, and boy were those old people fast. I barely beat the oldest participant, who was 78! I was hooked and have 6 more.

I am still slow, almost always last in my age group, but I'm having so much fun. I have met the nicest people and have made life long friends. And at 46, I'm in the best shape of my life.

I don't know how old she is or if you have children, but it is hard to fit in training and have a real life. My children are older, so I have a little more free time.

Most people will have to find their own way to things that make their life fulfilling. I suspect it will be that way with your wife.

Robin
2004-07-20 2:37 PM

User image

New user
Dallas TX
Thanks,

Dont get the wrong idea, im not trying to force this stuff upon her.
I was really just curious about how you all got into it.

Ive asked her to volunteer at my 1st tri next month since she likes doing stuff like that.
She agreed to do that which is cool.

2004-07-20 2:43 PM

Online or Offline
"seems to be a lot of chicks on here!!"

And there's alot on the course too!

What got me started:
Overuse injury to knee from running. Suggested alternate workouts: swimming and riding a bike. I swam in a team as a child, and rode a beach cruiser around as a teen, and occasionally take my mountain bike to see some dirt, so nothing was really an activity I'd never been accustomed to.

Swim, bike, run. Sounds like a triathlete's workout? Could I possibly be a triathlete? I decided to tweak the swimming form, ride longer, and signed up for a mini to give it a try, and loved it.

What keeps me coming back:
Staying healthy, meeting fun people, accomplishing a goal/s, and achieving something previously considered unattainable by my own physical standards. Its addicting to push myself to see what my body will reward me with. Training almost becomes like a personal science project, as well as religion - taking it on faith that a taper will improve my race performance was very hard for me to swallow, but I did as told, and hallelujah!

Having no children, and no really big commitments (other to show up for work and do my job on time and safely), triathlon training offers me a place to direct my passionate energy. Being a solitary sport I have control of how often, when and how long I can train/participate in any 1 of the 3 sports without having to rely on another partner to show up and play with.

In general, being an athlete for many women reminds them that they are strong, builds self-esteem, they respect their bodies for it's performace with the side effect of a nicely toned body....much different from the media pressures of having to look like a clothes hangar, and being sorry for carrying and extra 5 pounds. Of muscle! Becoming a triathlete is about setting and reaching personal goals. Pushing yourself.

Being any kind athlete is empowering, and self-validating. As a woman, if your wife doesn't understand that, then she probably won't get into triathlon. Which is ok....it's just a thang. My hubby doesn't tri or run. But he's supportive! He definitely DOES NOT get it though.

HOW DID *YOU* GET INTO THE SPORT?

2004-07-20 3:13 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Hmmmm how did I get started in this obsession? Well, I was doing step aerobics pretty regularly, but I stopped seeing results. In fact I wasn't seeing anything. I looked a bit chubby despite a rigorous step aerobics schedule! What I needed was a goal.... Exercise with a goal......
Around the same time, my brother in law started doing Iron Man races as a substitute for drinking... (replace one addiction with another??) My sister had dabbled in the Danskin Women's Triathlon with success, so she encouraged him to "tri" also....and boy did it stick with him!  Anyway, they both encouraged me to do a 5K in November of 2002. I have always been a swimmer, I did own a bike, but I've NEVER been much of a runner. I trained for 8 weeks to be able to complete a 5K without walking. I thought all the step aerobics would have given my cardio vascular system a bump, but it's really not the same thing as running. I could barely go .10 of a mile. (One lap around our track at the gym) when I started. To make a long story short, I completed the 5K, proving to myself that I **could** run 3.1 miles. So my sister convinced me to try the Danskin (now Reebok) women's triathlon. (That was last year).
Now I'm hooked. I did my first race with a mountain bike and Walkman during the run. I trained mostly on the treadmill and I'm still not a strong runner. My biking has improved immensely since I purchased an **old** racing bike from a guy at work, and I've been racking on the miles. I get immense satisfaction out of seeing the improvements in my cardiovascular capacity, the way my body is shaping up, and seeing general gains in my time comparisons from last year.
I've joined a cycling group and I now understand (and use!) words like "Peloton".... I've been glued to the T de F. I also swim with the Master's program at the gym. I've also joined the runner's club at the gym, but I'm not comfortable enough as a runner to run with others yet. I'm getting there. Slowly.
I guess my sister and brother in law planted the seeds, and I've just taken off from there! I'm surprised I'm this attached to triathlon, because I've never considered myself athletic or particularly coordinated. However, I think I have a pretty strong COMPETITIVE gene that I try to keep under cover. Triathlon lets me embrace my competitive self.
My husband does not participate with me, although he does go to the races with our dog.
So there you go. Sorry to be wordy. Your wife may or may not decide to join you in this endeavor. You can't force her, because if she doesn't love it, it won't stick, and she'll dread all the training. Good Luck!
LW

Edited by Whizzer 2004-07-20 3:14 PM
2004-07-20 3:28 PM

Regular
salem ma
I'm not as hard-core as a lot of the people on here, so my motivation is slightly different: a desire to wipe the cocky smirk off my brother's face.
My younger brother, a phenomenal athlete, was going on about how good he was, and how he wouldn't bother training because he was so good he didn't need to. So I started training in secret, thinking I could beat him if I trained and he didn't. The more I do, the more I like it, and the more I realize that I can beat him in my strong event(swim) but he'll wipe the floor with me in his(run).
Is your wife competitive? Does she do any sports right now? Does she have a friend more on her level that would do stuff with her?(assuming that since you're asking, you're a bit more powerful)
2004-07-20 3:45 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
And how can i convince her to get more involved in sports.

You can't.  Sorry.  My husband could care less about competing in a tri but he makes a helluva volunteer!  I've tried for years to get him interested in doing the stuff I like to do and it just ain't happening.  But I have to hand it to him, he supports me 110% in everything I do and that's all I can ask for.  He puts the kayak in the water so I do not swim across the pond alone, he'll follow on his bike loaded down with drinks and gels when I go for a long run, and he takes care of my bike for me.  On race day he helps me (ok, he does it all) clean up my gear after the race. 

Not that any of that answers your question (well, maybe the first line did) but it's a good reminder to myself with the upcoming race this saturday so I do not get annoyed with him when he wants to take a few pictures.

2004-07-20 3:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
As a wife, mother, part-time worker, friend, and all else I do, I found that my workouts had sort of dropped off over the last few years. I was still doing a little running, a little biking, and a little swimming, and a little ballet. But my little belly was gaining on me. I needed a goal! The Tri fit the bill.

My husband is a very good mtn biker. But he is so good, that I don't really enjoy biking with him anymore. He is too fast and too aggressive. We biked on our honeymoon 13 years ago, and that was so much fun, but he wasn't so focuses on going fast (wink wink). I still have so much fun when we bike with the kids. My husband slows down and is so patient with them. It is a light, fun outing. We stop and eat ice cream, and pee in the bushes. I love it!

The most important thing you can do for your wife is give her TIME to do whatever activity she wants. If it is lying in the grass and looking at the clouds, then so be it. After a few weeks of that, I bet you she would pick up some form of excercise. It might not be YOUR form of excercise, but that isn't the point, is it?

Maybe there are more women on this site because women like/need more support and comraderie than men do?
2004-07-20 4:13 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Hi Chris,

I haven't read the other responses, so I hope I'm not repeating. I got into training as a way to be more regular about working out. I'm the kind of person who works best if there is some definable goal that I'm working toward. Like your wife, I absolutely hate running (and I'm just plain bad at it), but I like to swim and bike, so I can deal with a 3 mile run for the sake of the other two.

The volunteering idea is a good one. Hopefully she'll dig the atmosphere and want to join you based on that. Also, my fiance and I did a tri relay in June, and are doing another in September. That might be an option for you two. I did the swim and bike, and he did the run. I still have done two other races by myself, but I wanted my fiance to be a part of things so I talked him into a couple relays. (It helps that I get to avoid the running this way, too! )

Kelly

2004-07-20 4:18 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Well, I started mainly because I felt like I'd never be able to run more than 5k races, but craved some bigger challenge than that. I couldn't seem to be able to run much at all without getting shin splints/calf injuries. Well, now I've found out that that's due to having some pretty wacky feet and that there is hope and it's called 'orthotics'.

Anyhow, I swam competitively in from 5th or 6th grade until I graduated from HS. And well, I can ride a bike. LOL! So, I realized that a sprint tri was a really good goal for me. Once I set that goal, I've been whole hog about achieving it, despite a few annoying obstacles. :-P

I also thought it was a good project for me since my boyfriend is on a Nationals level Ultimate Frisbee team and they're constantly practicing (and hanging out together and being obnoxious and....). Last year, that became an issue, but this year, I can just have long workouts while he has practice. So, from the instant I voiced my idea to my boyfriend, he's been incredibly enthusiastic and supportive, but he knows better than to 'suggest' activities for me.... We've been down that road before. :-O
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So I noticed something about this site Rss Feed