Louisville, Kentucky
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ok this is the third time typing this. Why o why is delete next to save?

We got up at 4:30 and walked to transition. I was very close to the front and got in quickly. Bottles filled, tires pumped, the info said no family in line with you but I think we were the only ones who adhered to that rule. I took off to swim start and d to swim exit. I had on two pairs of socks and flops and got passed by a ton of people. I still think I was in the first 100-150 in line tho. Found a place to sit and ate my breakfast. Made friends chatted, one poor guy forgot his wetsuit in transition and ran back to get it.

Went to the porta potty which was the beginning of the end of my day. Walking back in the dark I stepped in a hole covered by grass and my foot just slid off my flop and twisted. I felt immediate pain in my fifth metatarsal. No Bueno. Ok I shake it off and sit down again. More waiting, everyone was pretty chill. Change into wetsuit, drop off bag and head to swim start. Foot was a little sore on the concrete barefoot.
Event warmup:

Mile walk to swim start
Swim
  • 1h 18m
  • 4220 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am very pleased with this. The full aquabike swim where I got the concussion was nearly 20 minutes slower, but then I did get a concussion during the swim, but this felt much easier. I actually liked the time trial start. I had little contact. Just did my thing counting one two three one two three the whole way. Tried to site off the island going downstream, but this is the first race I have ever done where I could not really get in the water to pick out land marks. They only let us do an itty bitty swim before the race
What would you do differently?:

Nothing very pleased with this
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

Got out got wetsuit stripped. Found bag and into tent. No big change for this. Put on my custom shirt, socks and shoes. Handed off swim things and off to get bike. It was a long long way to bike mount with a bum knee and in bike shoes. I made no attempt to ru

Not much. It was just really far to the bike mount line
Bike
  • 7h 51m
  • 112 miles
  • 14.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Worst
Bike
Ever

This was just terrible. I really needed another 6 weeks of training. Also some hills to train on would have been helpful. The first bit is flat, then a turn up a hill, make it up that ok then onto the loop. I averaged like 18 the first hour. I knew I was in deep doo doo at hour two when I was only at mile 30. The hills just ate me up and spit me out. I used ALL my gears. I have not shifted so much in the last two years. Thank god I got a tune up pre race.

So going thru Lagrange was super fun. Lots of crowd support. After that there is a weird little loop section with a. Fairly steep hill. My chain locked and I had to stop and I can't exactly coast going uphill. Had to walk up the last little bit after I fixed my chain. Was trying to just keep pedaling and not get upset over how bloody slow I was going. Nutrition went well. Had six servings of accelerade with me and took a gel an hour. Had to walk about 10 yards of another steep for me sectin. Finally the second loop.

Saw whizzzz and cored ump at the beginning of lop two, back thru Lagrange. The section where my chain locked first loop the steep was blocked do had to walk up again. Honestly I think I did better the second loop. FINALLY. Off the loop thank god and some easy cycling back.

As this had dragged on I kept looking at the pic of Jessi and Oliver to keep myself,going because I really wanted to quit. Somewhere in the second half my foot was just getting more and more painful. I was very concerned I had broken it twisting my foot in the am.

Not get injured before I start. Find some damn hills to train on
Transition 2
  • 16m
Comments:

Got of bike....foot was killing me. Since it was such a long walk from bike dismount to transition I stopped and took my bike shoes off. I could hardly walk on my foot. Not good. Find my bag and sweet whizzzzzzz was my helper I'm T2. I was all I think I broke my foot. It wasn't swollen but typically I am not much of a swelled. Hurt over the base of my 5th. Poop. Got changed and braced up and shot the porta Potty on the way out as I had not peed in the last 9 hours. Walked out and saw D. Told him I thought I had broken my foot and was going to keep going as long as I could

Not get injured before the race starts. Rally it was the long limp from blue dismount to transition that made this long. I had to put on tights and a brace and I had practiced that. I had an awesome helper.
Run
  • 35m
  • 2.5 miles
  • 14m  min/mile
Comments:

Running was out of the question. At best it would be a slow walk death march. Foot was better in the shoe than without. After about two miles both feet were numb and injured foot was pretty painful. Limping. There was no possible way I would be anything but a DNF after taking so freaking long on the bike. If I wa very lucky. I could finish and be a dnf. I wa limping badly. Also I had knee surgery scheduled for three days after the race and the prospect of. Reading my foot and not being able to do that was not. Good thing. Also I did my first IM with two,stress fractures in my foot. Been there done that. Maybe I could,have limped thru it but I saw a race vehicle with two others dnf'img and I asked for a ride too. I was done

Not hurt my foot. Be able to,actually run
Post race
Warm down:

Got a ride to hotel. Limped to room. Called D. Showered ate

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Four knee surgeries in 7 months, not able to run due to said surgeries until April of this year, longest real run was 3 miles, injuring foot before the race started, no hills to train on

Event comments:

I think the city really embraces the race and it's a good venue. Ride hills of you sign up. I realize that hills are relative but when I say I have no hills to train on I really mean it. The swim is nice and the water is actually pretty clean. Maybe in a few years after I get over this most recent surgery

Last updated: 2016-10-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:18:00 | 4220 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless orca
Course: Up around an is.and then down stream. The river was damned and I did not perceive any current either way. Point to point swim
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:51:00 | 112 miles | 14.27 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: Lollipop with two loops of the pop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 16:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:00 | 02.5 miles | 14m  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Two loop out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-10-27 6:29 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Ironman Louisville
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by PureGrrr
Views: 3705 Posts: 8

2007-09-01 9:35 PM marymosc13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by Neil Hammond
Views: 3568 Posts: 3

2007-08-28 8:38 PM CitySky

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 8015 Posts: 33

2007-09-08 9:45 PM joannh13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by irongirl39
Views: 4210 Posts: 13

2007-09-02 10:36 AM run joe run

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by katimomma
Views: 7759 Posts: 26

2007-09-01 10:26 AM stephen strange
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.
date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.