General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best tools to get Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-30 11:13 PM

Subject: Best tools to get
Hello folks,

Triathlons is where I'm looking at heading to next, I use to be a runner and got into cycling in the past year. What are some good tools to utilize during your training period? Could be a complex or as simple as a scale! I'm looking at doing a Full Iron man and will be doing some pretty intense work outs and would like to be able to track progress and help prevent as much injuries as possible.

2016-10-31 2:07 AM
in reply to: Fobian

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Best tools to get
My fav tools are as follows:

Multisport watch with hr strap, can be pricey or cheap

Power meter generally pricey

Trainer to throw bike onto. If you have an ant stick and speed sensor, trainerroad can give you virtual power and a ton of workouts to follow for 10 bucks a month.

Roller, mostly for self massage. Helped me a lot.
2016-10-31 8:19 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Get a good multisport watch so you can quantify and measure your training. Then get a training plan (not forgetting the all important recovery!). Make sure you have a good way to store and analyze your data (we use TrainingPeaks, but there's other programs as well, most important is to actually not gather the data, but to analyze it).

Except for that, eat good quality food (eat what fits YOU).

Everything else is just bonus. Personally, I really do like my Normatec's, really helps with recovery, but they're not cheap (and I justify them as my wife is a triathlete as well, so the cost is half per person!). A scale may or may not be good. If you're already at a healthy weight, then getting a scale might only get you fixed at a parameter that honestly doesn't add value. If you're like most of us a few lbs over the ideal weight, then a scale can help to get you there.

The trick to preventing injury really lies in two things, periodize your training plan and include recovery and rest in the plan (rest is exactly what it sounds like, actually not doing anything but spending time with family and friends)
2016-12-11 12:17 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Originally posted by Fobian

Hello folks,

Triathlons is where I'm looking at heading to next, I use to be a runner and got into cycling in the past year. What are some good tools to utilize during your training period? Could be a complex or as simple as a scale! I'm looking at doing a Full Iron man and will be doing some pretty intense work outs and would like to be able to track progress and help prevent as much injuries as possible.

X2 on Recovery Compression Boots. Especially for an Ironman they are life saver to always have the blood, lymph always circulating in the lower body to help flush the legs and get ready for the next day of training.

I love Normatec boots they are awesome but at $1595 they are simply not in everyone's budget. I also l love the less expensive Air Relax system at ~$352. Did a short review of both systems here. I hope it helps. Good luck on that Ironman!!! There is nothing better than the feeling of completing an Ironman!!!

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/08/normatec-vs-air-relax-recovery...
2016-12-12 11:52 AM
in reply to: #5203446

New user
Listen to that Thomas guy, he's almost a Pro!
2016-12-12 1:58 PM

User image

, North Carolina
No particular order:

Bike Trainer
Powermeter
Laptop w/ TrainerRoad
Bike Computer
Multisport Watch
Heart Rate Monitor
Goggles
Pull Bouy
Bike Tire Pump
Alarm Clock
Food Scale

2016-12-12 2:24 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by dfquigley

My fav tools are as follows:

Multisport watch with hr strap, can be pricey or cheap

Power meter generally pricey

Trainer to throw bike onto. If you have an ant stick and speed sensor, trainerroad can give you virtual power and a ton of workouts to follow for 10 bucks a month.

Roller, mostly for self massage. Helped me a lot.

^ this
if you don't know how to use a power meter, then skip that until you see why you need it.

2016-12-14 8:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Membership to TrainingPeaks, Adderro or BT for logging your training.

Edited by scottficek 2016-12-14 8:12 PM
2016-12-20 8:37 AM

Veteran
Indiana
I have been using TrainerRoad.com for the past couple months and it is immensely helpful. I wish I'd gotten into this earlier.

It's a power based cycling fitness program (also has Tri plans for IM, HIM, Oly, and Sprint that include your run and swim workouts).

It's great to have a power meter on your bike, but you can do TrainerRoad with an inexpensive speed/cadence sensor and any name-brand bike trainer stand.

If nothing else, listen to the TrainerRoad podcast. These guys are smart.

2016-12-24 1:35 PM
in reply to: alath

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
X2. Keep in mind if you are not used to the structured training of Trainerroad, ease into is a bit. The workouts are doable, but push you to your limits.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best tools to get Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

This could be the best tool I ever bought

Started by mscotthall
Views: 947 Posts: 5

2011-05-08 9:25 PM CyborgQueen

Best home mechanic tool kit...

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 1540 Posts: 11

2011-01-31 3:45 PM mrbbrad

good massage tool for the back

Started by sarahswhere
Views: 540 Posts: 1

2010-03-12 11:32 AM sarahswhere

The best training tool.

Started by Comet
Views: 798 Posts: 4

2005-07-27 1:59 PM monkeyboy64

Best Multi-Tool for Triathlon....

Started by Hudnick
Views: 1630 Posts: 5

2005-01-23 9:44 PM sty
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : November 16, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.