World Triathlon Corporation
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 38m 43s
Overall Rank = 940/1834
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 106/187
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am and ate the usual: gluten free cinnamon bread and a banana.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

No swim because of fog
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

None - waited in T1 for an hour to start
Bike
  • 2h 54m 7s
  • 56.67 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

After they waited an hour to cancel the swim, they had everyone wait in T1 to start the bike. The Pro div started at 9am and did not finish until 940am. This was because they waited 30-60 sec between athletes. Then they started with age group athletes with low bid numbers and two athletes at a time. This took FOREVER!. I did not start until 1030 or almost two hours after I would have finished the swim.
This is a real problem because they were predicting record heat. There has got to be a better way.

Once I was on the bike, I was making good time - about 21.5mph at the mid-point. Because of the start, the course was congested pretty bad. Bikes/ riders as far as the eye could see.

The road conditions were poor with lots of chip seal, pot hols (marked in orange) and generally rough. You could open a used bike parts store with all that was falling off of bikes. Saw a few accidents and bunch of mechanicals.,

Do not let anyone tell you this is a semi-flat course. Bunch of hills in the beginning and at the end and some are good climbs. My Garmin registered about 2000ft of total climbing.

By the end of the bike, my legs were cramping in the heat. Drank a total of 72oz with 5 gels, bonk breaker, and 6 salt tabs.
What would you do differently?:

This was my fastest bike in a 70.3. Averaged 19.5mph as the course length is actually 56.65. Happy with my speed just the heat and humidity did me in.
Transition 2
  • 06m 28s
Comments:

As I mentioned, my legs were cramping bad so I walked to my T2 bag. Stretched for a bit and then off to the run.
Run
  • 2h 38m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run knowing I was dehydrated from the bike. I have never seen so many people walking in a race straight off the bike. By the time I started the run, the Temp was 88 and about 65% humidity. By the end it was 93 with 60% humidity.

This was a really tough run in the heat. I jogged with flats and downhills and walked the hills and aid stations. That was the best I could do. With my 2:38 run time - that was actually in the top 50% overall. That will tell you how bad the run was for everyone.

I drank a total of 64oz on the run (filled by run bottle 4 times). 4 gels and 10 salt tabs.
What would you do differently?:

I could not drink anymore without my belly sloshing around. These are the cards everyone was delt - just did your best.
Post race
Warm down:

The finish was good but no one could find the food. I guess they ran out. This was a bummer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Late start and heat/humidity.

Event comments:

Lets start with the pros and cons.
Pros:
1. Volunteers were amazing - great job!
2. Good sportsmanship among athletes. A lot of people hurting on the run and others helping wherever possible. Nice to see.

Cons:
1. No one can predict the weather so canceling the swim is just the way it is. .......But, early in the morning it was clear the fog on the lake was not going anywhere. Other racers called the airport to find out about the estimated time the fog would clear (10am). This was relayed to the race director. Plus, the prior day the fog on the lake did not clear until 10am. This race should have started at 7:30 on the bike. Everyone knew there would be record heat. Lets start early and get things going right away. They should not have waited 1 1/2 hours to start.

2. They started all of the age group athletes 2 at a time on the bike. Eventually, someone realized this would take all day and just let people go at will. The bike course was PACKED the entire time. This was dangerous and limited speed. Just crazy out there.

3. They ran out of ice on the run course. The weather was predicted to be at near record levels a week before the race. Clearly, someone had to know this. All the athletes seemed to . Just can't run out of ice - come on man.

4. No post race food - WTF! Well, I guess there was some but could not be found initially and was gone in short time. Really???

5. They need to rent out the toll road for this bike race (like the Woodlands). This course has bad road conditions.

Overall, disappointed not so my in my performance ( I usually finish right at 50% and I did here) but in the Cons list above. Things could have been done differently and if you look at the Ironman Austin Facebook page, you will see all the bad rants about the race. Just think little more forethought by the race officials would help.

Last updated: 2016-11-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/187
Overall: 0/1834
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:54:07 | 56.67 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 96/187
Overall: 698/1834
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Country roads and lots of hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 06:28
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:38:08 | 13.1 miles | 12m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 114/187
Overall: 1136/1834
Performance: Bad
Course: 3 loop course -Not really any flat areas. Some good hills but nothing major.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %6%
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2016-11-01 8:49 AM

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Austin

2016-11-01 5:10 PM
in reply to: #5203614

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Austin

It was definitely a tough race and conditions were not ideal.  I definitely agree with your pros list, and some of your cons list, but not quite everything.

I'd have loved to swim and get an earlier start on the bike, but until the fog lifts, I don't want to be on the road with drivers who potentially can't see us due to the fog!  I don't know how widespread the fog was, but fog is one of the big things that concerns me on the bike, so I'd rather deal with a hot run than drivers who can't see us.  The bike course had enough traffic as it was!

My big complaint about the start was that the AWA's got to start way earlier, with the TT start being by bib number, rather than AG wave.  I think WTC needs to fix that....I have no problem with AWA's getting a quick check-in, but to be in a different area in transition and potentially getting a totally different start time means they aren't actually racing the rest of us in the AG.

Congrats on finishing your race and hopefully this is good karma for whatever race you do next!

2016-11-03 9:41 AM
in reply to: #5203614

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Congratulations on finishing and doing so well on the bike. Tough day for sure and tougher when starting late. I agree with many of your comments about how challenging the heat was, how bad cramping was for me personally and how very many were walking so early on. Very hot out there for this New Englander and I probably did not drink enough. Running out of ice later could have been a killer to someone on the edge and being able to run/jog if there was ice, so I feel bad for anyone not able to have ice. The bike was a bit long, but it all seems to even out over the various races and we all have to do the same course, so I never worry about that too much, except when comparing one race to another.

Well done! Time to rest and recover.
2016-11-03 10:35 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

First - very IMPRESSIVE race log, second - GREAT time on Sunday. Thank you for the feedback. This was a tough race but props to everyone who finished and endured the obstacles. Good luck on any up coming races!
2016-11-03 10:37 AM
in reply to: dtoce

Great job on Sunday - you have an impressive time for sure! Noticed you have an extensive race log with great times and a variety of races. Good luck on any upcoming races!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Austin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin

Started by Tyrell
Views: 2758 Posts: 1

2009-10-27 3:56 PM Tyrell

Started by dangitdake
Views: 2944 Posts: 7

2009-11-09 10:13 AM dangitdake

Started by TriMikeP1973
Views: 3418 Posts: 7

2009-10-30 5:02 PM Gawaine79

Started by dgunthert
Views: 3496 Posts: 3

2009-10-30 5:03 PM Bill

Started by dgunthert
Views: 5319 Posts: 16

2008-10-07 4:28 PM jldicarlo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.