General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I being unrealistic? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-03 2:19 PM

, Vermont
Subject: Am I being unrealistic?
I did one sprint triathlon last summer. First and only tri. Despite having no idea how to pace myself, I felt like it was easier than expected. Probably held back way too much on the bike.

I would have done more tris this summer, but I was focused on biking only as I had a 206 mi/1 day ride in September and dedicated most of my training to the bike. (Lotoja - great race, I would recommend it to anyone!)

Now that I'm looking toward next season, I'm wondering if this potential schedule is do-able for a newbie, albeit in fairly decent shape. (Ok, my running could use some work.)

May 21 - JerseyMan"Half Light" Distance (Swim: 0.9 mile - Bike: 34 miles - Run: 6.2 miles)
June 18 - Ironman Syracuse 70.3

July 16 - NYC Triathlon (1500m/40k/10k)
~or~
July 23 - IMLP 140.6

I'm already registered for the Half Light in May and Syracuse in June. I'm in a toss up between NYC and IMLP. My pickle is...can I make the jump from the half distances to the full distance? I probably wouldn't be vying for a 140.6 in July, but Lake Placid is where I grew up and I would love to do the race there. I have to make my decision quickly as NYC and IMLP registrations are likely going to close soon.

Any advice is appreciated!

2016-11-03 2:30 PM
in reply to: ninagski

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Am I being unrealistic?
For Jerseyman/IM Syracuse/NYC probably doable

For Jerseyman/IM Syracuse/IMLP probably not doable

If you want to do the 140.6 distance that should be your sole focus of your racing season. One month from IM Syracuse is too close to be at 100% for IMLP.

You will also need to decide which one of these races is going to be your A race. I'd guess IM 'cuse. You're taper will probably start right after the Jerseyman. So you'd need to be at or close full HIM volume going into that race.

Then with another 4 weeks until the NYC tri you would spend two in recovery mode then two in maintain mode before the race.

4 weeks seems like a long time but with endurance sports it gets eaten up pretty quick.

I would say shoot for IMLP in 2018 as your A race.

You could probably do a late fall 2017 Ironman but I think LP is too close to the HIM.

How's your swimming?
2016-11-03 2:58 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by Nick B

For Jerseyman/IM Syracuse/NYC probably doable

For Jerseyman/IM Syracuse/IMLP probably not doable

If you want to do the 140.6 distance that should be your sole focus of your racing season. One month from IM Syracuse is too close to be at 100% for IMLP.

You will also need to decide which one of these races is going to be your A race. I'd guess IM 'cuse. You're taper will probably start right after the Jerseyman. So you'd need to be at or close full HIM volume going into that race.

Then with another 4 weeks until the NYC tri you would spend two in recovery mode then two in maintain mode before the race.

4 weeks seems like a long time but with endurance sports it gets eaten up pretty quick.

I would say shoot for IMLP in 2018 as your A race.

You could probably do a late fall 2017 Ironman but I think LP is too close to the HIM.

How's your swimming?

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with this.

I think the timing of a 70.3 is great for a 140.6. My wife completed her first IM on 10/9 and did her 2nd ever 70.3 on 9/11.

If you've been bike racing your whole life, and your first tri was "easy", you probably have a big aerobic engine already.

I'd use the 70.3 as a training/tune for your 140.6.

Follow a good training plan, and it can work.
2016-11-03 3:10 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I agree with Nick, IMLP in 2018 might be the better avenue.  That way you can dedicate a whole year to training for it. 

From what I've heard Syr 70.3 is not an easy run, no real flat spots.  The weather in Syr that time of year can be cool (ideal) to darn right hot which would further impact recovery.

I'd go with the NYC Oly this year and do it for the fun of it.

2016-11-03 3:13 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

How's your swimming?

This! If your only tri was a sprint, that's a big jump up to IM distances. But if you already have the swim squared away, I've heard of people getting to IM even faster.
2016-11-03 3:20 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

, Vermont
Originally posted by Atlantia

How's your swimming?

This! If your only tri was a sprint, that's a big jump up to IM distances. But if you already have the swim squared away, I've heard of people getting to IM even faster.

My swim is decent. I wouldn't go out right now and swim the full IM distance, though I'm pretty confident that by the time Apr/May comes along, my swim will be where it needs to be.

All these races I'm looking to finish MOP. I don't have unrealistic expectations of placing/KQ or anything like that.

2016-11-03 6:38 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
IM isn't twice as long as a 1/2, you should really look at it as 3-4x... There's so many things that you need to work out, nutrition, pacing, how to deal with slumps (and yes you will have a few of those during the IM)... I would highly recommend you'll get a few OLY and 1/2 in before taking on the full.
2016-11-03 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
First, congrats on the decision and good luck. We all make our own choices and I'm a believer in 'anything is possible'.
I don't think you are unrealistic, if you understand the challenge ahead of you.. I did both the rev3 him AND Syracuse him (along with the rev 3 only for fun) , but I knew what I was getting in to.

There is one school of thought that you do not need todo a him race prior to IM. I think it does help with pacing and getting ready for a very long race day..

Bike as much as possible. Run a lot and swim often, especially the last few weeks prior to the race.

You'll be fine.
2016-11-04 7:20 AM

User image

Exton, PA
That's a big jump going from sprint to IM
Going from half light(basically an OLY) to IM a month later you should be fine. Doing a second IM in 4 weeks your asking for failure/disappointment. For me it took 2 to 3 weeks to recover from IM, but some of my friends took 6 weeks of light exercise before they felt right again.

Sprint- is all out effort.
OLY- about 90% effort - hard the whole way
1/2IM - 80% effort - feels like doing 4 Olympics in the same day
IM 70% effort- if you don't pace it right your history

There are more events later in the season, give yourself a chance to recover.
IMMD
IMAC
IMNC
2016-11-07 9:00 AM
in reply to: mike761

, Vermont
Ok, so I decided against IMLP. The big factor was cost. Sure, entry into NYC tri is almost $400 (!!!) but I live right here, so I won't have to pay for lodging or travel expenses, and LP is e x p e n s i v e in the summer time, especially during IM!

Thank you all for your input! Let's just cross my fingers I get into NYC since it's a lottery!
2016-11-07 9:50 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Donto

I agree with Nick, IMLP in 2018 might be the better avenue.  That way you can dedicate a whole year to training for it. 

From what I've heard Syr 70.3 is not an easy run, no real flat spots.  The weather in Syr that time of year can be cool (ideal) to darn right hot which would further impact recovery.

I'd go with the NYC Oly this year and do it for the fun of it.

The Syracuse run course is downright brutal.  There is no flat to it at all except a few tenths of a mile close to the start/finish/lap turnaround area.  The rest of the course is rolling and then there's the f'n hill that's about a mile up and mile down, much of it with more than 10% grade.  If it's hot out then it's going to be a death march.

The last time I did the race I came off the bike in a 70.3 WC qual spot and then "ran" a 1:55 and lost 10 spots. :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I being unrealistic? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3066 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Birth day Celebration? I hope I am that lucky when I am 90

Started by MrSolis
Views: 1462 Posts: 4

2009-01-03 4:25 PM MrSolis

trying to determine where I am, and where I am headed...

Started by lordkovacs
Views: 1500 Posts: 3

2008-08-08 9:12 AM lordkovacs

Am I stupid? Yes, I am.

Started by triguyfitz
Views: 1562 Posts: 5

2007-08-21 12:47 AM mm5093

First ever event - half iron man - I am am now a triathlete.

Started by sally888
Views: 1765 Posts: 14

2004-10-12 5:12 AM La Rakusillian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2016
author : rjcalhoun
comments : 5
From heavy, stressed business owner to triathlete

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.