General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spartan Race before IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-06 12:45 PM

User image

Subject: Spartan Race before IM
My son wants to do a Spartan race. I am trying to fit this in while training for an IM. Never done a Spartan race before, but I have done Tough Mudder.

The one he wants to do is a Spartan Beast, 12-14 miles, 30-35 obstacles, 4-5 hours.

Assuming I don't get hurt, any concerns with doing something like that 30 days prior to IM Chattanooga? While not easy, I am uncertain how exhausting this Spartan Race is.

2016-11-06 1:33 PM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Spartan Race before IM
Unless you think that you son is going to try to go with the first wave and compete in the overall standings then it shouldn't be all that difficult. I've found that I never really ran as hard as I could. You should be in really good shape 30 days out from an ironman.

But here is the problem. You will have put in months of work just to get to 30 days out. Sure you can twist your ankle walking to your car. But, the chance for injury is there and quite a bit higher than your average road race. I don't think that fatigue would be an issue. I think that injury could derail your entire IM.

But, I get the whole do it with your son thing. I've done a few with my wife.

Tough call.
2016-11-06 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Putting aside the son / family situation or any risk of getting hurt, here is what I would add into the conversation. This is what I would consider and try to solve for:

Concerns:
How to keep the right build profile for the IM distance, would this event add/substitute or derail the build? 4 weeks out is about when you are hitting close to your biggest volume week with almost the longest ride/longest run depending on your training plan. You need to be clear with yourself on what that weekend would entail and what you mentally can afford to skip. i.e. move your long stuff to mid-week instead of the weekend for 2 weeks?

Specificity for the IM distance. You would have built the fitness/endurance to move in a straight line for the IM training but using completely different muscles than all the Obstacles would require. Would the Spartan race set you back recovery wise with trashed muscles and fatigue if not adequately prepared? I have not done a Spartan race so can't speak to that, just Xterra's, Adventure races and such.

IM goals - is this your first, third, fifth?

Ideally the Spartan Beast would be 30 days after, not before !!
I would personally go for it as a challenge/experience and memories with my child but that is the only reason you'd get me to make that choice so close to Chattanooga. Otherwise I don't see much of an upside to the IM experience.

Good luck.
2016-11-06 7:17 PM
in reply to: Mc Q

User image

Agreed.

My son is 14 and got excited after I did the IMWI 2015 and he watched the Spartan race on TV. I am excited to have something to share with him. He wants to do the Trifeca, which is 3 Spartan races in 1 calendar year.

After I posted this I spent some time laying out my 2017 & even 2018 races. I think you are right, this is too risky. Especially when you spend $750 + travel on an IM. I am going to take 2017 and do this with my son. I will do some local HIM and maybe a marathon. If I get injured, well at least I am not out as much time or money (he and I will have something to talk about!).

2016-11-07 6:29 AM

User image

, North Carolina
For you and your son. The running part of a spartan is the easiest part. If I were to train for one specifically it would be lots and lots of pull-up and more burpees. Most of the obstacles aren't fun but don't take any special skills or fitness to complete. But, some are straight off ninja warrior. Lots of upper body and grip strength.

2016-11-07 7:12 AM
in reply to: #5204138

User image

Regular
Just did a Beast in SC weekend before this past. A ton of fun and pretty gruelling. The course was definitely harder this year. I think you could recover in time but definitely a considerable injury potential. A great activity to share with your son at some point. Did a Rugged Maniac with my son in May and had a blast ( posted on BT about it). You can always do after your IM as you suggest.

2016-11-08 6:31 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by scottficek

Agreed.

My son is 14 and got excited after I did the IMWI 2015 and he watched the Spartan race on TV. I am excited to have something to share with him. He wants to do the Trifeca, which is 3 Spartan races in 1 calendar year.

After I posted this I spent some time laying out my 2017 & even 2018 races. I think you are right, this is too risky. Especially when you spend $750 + travel on an IM. I am going to take 2017 and do this with my son. I will do some local HIM and maybe a marathon. If I get injured, well at least I am not out as much time or money (he and I will have something to talk about!).

I've done 4 Spartan's with my son, starting when he was 13. I would say do not start out with a beast. All of these are different because of where they set them up. I've done the sprint which was 3.5 to 5.5 miles depending on the year. Granted the one I've done is considered the hardest one in the country because it is set up on the side of a double diamond ski slope.

My son was a high level travel soccer player with no extra weight on him, but does not train for endurance. There is no way he could have done 13 miles. Again this depends on the course and time of year.

Potential for injury is high, cuts, scrapes, bruises, twisted ankles are very common. My son had 6 stitches after one event and we didn't even know where he got cut.

Great bonding, great memories- I would say try to find a sprint about 2 to 6 weeks after your IM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spartan Race before IM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Spartan Beast Race Review

Started by cdivine9
Views: 1774 Posts: 5

2013-09-08 4:01 PM cdivine9

Spartan Races

Started by scoobysdad
Views: 3160 Posts: 20

2013-05-02 10:35 AM dpg31

Warrior run, Spartan race, Tough mudder???

Started by Kermat89
Views: 6021 Posts: 16

2011-11-29 10:52 AM RushTogether

SPARTAN race...what did I get myself into?

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 7152 Posts: 14

2011-05-08 11:20 AM ingleshteechur

Which is easier: Racing a half IM or finishing a full IM Pages: 1 2

Started by tripastor
Views: 4037 Posts: 39

2008-06-20 2:15 PM MikeJ
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : May 11, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.