General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hoka Clifton 3 toebox vs Altra Paradigm's, Topo Ultrafly's feedback Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-08 11:25 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Hoka Clifton 3 toebox vs Altra Paradigm's, Topo Ultrafly's feedback

OK, after 6+ months of fighting a severe case of plantar fasciitis I think I'm ready to get back to running.  I have been doing a lot of walking everyday with the dog.  Went from Altra Paradigm's to wearing out my current pair of Topo Ultrafly's. I know the Ultrafly's are too firm for me to run in for a so called max cushioned shoe they are firmer than the Paradigm's.  The Paradigm's were a good shoe but the build quality on the 2 pairs I had were such that I called and complained and when they did not offer me any compensation then decided not to buy another pair of them, hence the Ultrafly's.  I see that the Hoka Clifton 3 has opened up the toebox.  The LRS use to carry Hoka's but no more so I cannot try them on locally.

Anyone here have used Paradigm's/Ultrafly's and also the Hoka Clifton 3 that can offer feedback on the toebox?

2016-11-08 9:07 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: Hoka Clifton 3 toebox vs Altra Paradigm's, Topo Ultrafly's feedback

My first pair of Topo's where the Ultra Flys, obviously being too thin, but I did run Marine Corp marathon in them. Although my feet hurt for days afterwards. That was Oct 25th 2015. I moved up to the Topo MagniFly right after that which is the same shoe with more cushion. I ran the Surf City marathon in Feb 16 without any lingering pain or issues. I am now on my 3rd pair of MagniFly's and you would be hard pressed to get me to switch to another brand.

For size comparision if it matters I am 5'11". 170lb, 9.5 Wide foot. I have been injury free since i started running in that first set of Topo UltraFly's, minus the sore feet from the high mileage and ultra thin cushioning.

If you like the Topos, I would encourage you to call their customer service and give the MagniFly a chance.

Satisfied Topo customer for over a year with hundreds of miles logged, 2 full marathons, trail races, road races, and triathlons.

2016-11-09 9:54 AM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Hoka Clifton 3 toebox vs Altra Paradigm's, Topo Ultrafly's feedback

I did converse with a Topo CSR on the other site before buying them, he recommended the Ultrafly as it was the their max cushion shoe most comparable to the Paradigm. 

FWIW, the MagniFly has 3mm less cushioning stack than the Ultrafly, not sure if you have your shoes mixed up. 

IMHO most of the soft cushioning on these shoes are from the 5mm footbed insert.  I found the heel part of the insert lost its cushioning within 3 weeks.  When Hoka Clifton 2 first came out I tried on a pair and it was very soft but way too tight in the toebox.

The reason I need a wide toebox is that I had Morton's Neuroma removed on my right foot last year and need the room even though I only have a medium width foot.

2016-11-09 10:54 AM

User image

I recently purchased a Hoka Biondi in wide (2E). That has helped to give me the toe room that the Hoka's were missing. I tried the Altra and would like to get a pair of Olympus to alternate with the Hoka's as both will give me the toe room. I have not tried a Topo.
2016-11-09 2:07 PM

User image

Ventura, California

Oh My, I did get my shoes mixed up. I am sorry for the confusion. My first set I mentioned where the Fli-Lytes. I then moved up to the Magniflys. My apologies for getting them mixed up.

While the Topos do not use any animal based products or glues making them essentially vegan friendly, I do have to admit they do not seem to last a long time. The soles seem to last forever but the uppers and the padding seem to wear out kinda quick. I have been replacing mine at 275-325 miles. But given the fitment, feel and running injury free I will continue to run with them for the forseeable future.

I run mid foot so my heel does not take alot of stress. I personally do not like a heavily cushioned shoe, thats what go me into trouble in the first place when I started running longer distances. I could not feel the road and my feet where just smashed together like being in a corset plodding along and my leg muscles where having to pick up the slack and was having connective tissue over stress injuries. Once my feet went into a light weight open toe box my feet started splaying out and pushing off, my feet got stronger, my legs recovered and I have been injury free ever since then.

Best of luck to you and I hope you find the shoes that make your feet happy. I know it took me a few pairs and some painful soft tissue injuries before I stumbled upon my current shoes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hoka Clifton 3 toebox vs Altra Paradigm's, Topo Ultrafly's feedback Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How are you liking your Hoka Clifton's?

Started by Donto
Views: 3656 Posts: 22

2015-08-06 1:40 PM FurnaceM3

Hoka Bondi 3 - or Hoka in General

Started by MikeinGR
Views: 1008 Posts: 4

2014-08-03 3:00 PM metafizx

Altra instinct 1.5 vs. Newton distance

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 4742 Posts: 5

2013-06-01 9:01 AM ipull400watts

Hole in shoe toebox?

Started by Beanster
Views: 1281 Posts: 3

2009-05-14 7:31 AM dewybuck

Wind running - paradigm shift

Started by Rogillio
Views: 880 Posts: 12

2007-03-08 10:44 AM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : April 26, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on good vs bad sugars, fluid loss replacement, clean eating, the Paleo diet and are gels necessary for olympic races.
date : December 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on IMWI preparation, May A-race preparation, lunges, yoga vs pilates, zones to lose weight and endurance loss over the winter.

date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.