General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Bar Reach Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-15 8:41 AM

Subject: Aero Bar Reach Question
Hello all!

I have a question about optimal adjustment of my aero bars. I am new to riding a Tri bike and I am looking to try to train the most optimal position I can. I rest my elbows on the aero bar pads to support my weight (I'm 250 lbs 6'0) . Is it better from a performance standpoint to lengthen my aero bar extensions on my tri bike which will flatten me out on the aero bars or shorten the length and ride in a more compact shoulders tucked in position? The in adjustment is a few inches longer or shorter on how far the aero bars come out.

Both positions seem workable for me. Both are comfortable. A slightly more comfortable position right now may be lengthen the aero bars because I can rest my weight better on the front of the bars but I believe I can hold both positions equally. I don't see noticeable effort differences peddling in both positions. Which position would you recommend I train my body to stay in?

Additionally: I have a t3 profile design aero bars. I am currently riding with the aero bars hand grips straight. Should I switch to them slighting tilted in? Would that be a performance increase?

Edited by dnewman84 2016-11-15 8:45 AM

2016-11-15 8:43 PM
in reply to: dnewman84

User image

Subject: RE: Aero Bar Reach Question
It's my understanding that the ideal position is one in which each arm bends to form a right angle. So I think this will limit the adjustment since to get the 90 degree angle, your elbows (which should be rested on the pads) can't be too far forward and they can't be too far back (though I have yet to see anyone that has this problem).

I can get that angle when riding, but I have to make a conscience decision to do so because it's not something that comes naturally to me- I tend to sit or rock back a bit so that an angle greater than 90 degrees is achieved at the elbows.

Disclaimer: I'm very new to cycling (less than two years' experience).
2016-11-16 6:57 AM
in reply to: dnewman84

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Aero Bar Reach Question
There is no clear cut answer unless you know it for yourself through testing. Optimal can mean a lot of things... optimal weight distribution, optimal aerodynamics, optimal control, optimal to what some guy wrote in a book or on a website once? More info, pictures, etc, etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Bar Reach Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aero bars or No aero bars on road bike

Started by trevord
Views: 2550 Posts: 18

2014-03-08 9:33 AM RedCorvette

Aero Bar Set Up Question

Started by PGilger
Views: 600 Posts: 2

2007-12-05 10:04 PM briderdt

clip on aero bar question

Started by mndiver
Views: 1318 Posts: 13

2006-07-06 2:47 PM mndiver

Aero bar question (equipment missing)

Started by running2far
Views: 612 Posts: 6

2006-05-25 11:37 AM running2far

question on aero bars....

Started by heels4life
Views: 739 Posts: 3

2004-04-26 12:10 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Subscribe to your favorite forums and threads!

date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : August 7, 2009
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : May 25, 2009
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
A brief history on aero bar evolution with a review on the bars that I own and love.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.