Orlando, FL, Florida
United States
Track Shack
Total Time = 22m 17s
Overall Rank = 166/1375
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/80
Pre-race routine:

I'm a little late with this race report. The last 3 weeks have been busy.
Event warmup:

Slow jog for about 10 minutes, then some light stretching.
Run
  • 22m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't real sure how I would do in this race. My runs over the past several weeks have been at a faster pace/lower HR than at any time in the past, the weather was surprisingly "cool" for this time of year due to some thunderstorms the night before the race, so I was hoping I could get close to my PR of 22:47. I figured I would run around 7:20 pace the first 2 miles and see what happened the last mile. I ran the first mile at a hard but controlled pace and hit Mile 1 at 6:58. Had a brief moment of panic. I have only run a sub-7 first mile on one other occasion, with disastrous consequences. I backed off a little bit on the second mile, then ran as hard as I thought I could the last mile. Beat my previous PR by 30 seconds. I probably could have pushed harder on the second mile. My average HR is normally around 190 for a 5k, but I only averaged 180 today. I probably held back a little too much on the second mile out of fear of blowing up on the last mile, like I did the last time I ran a sub-7 first mile. Overall, it was a good race.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. It's amazing what a small amount of consistent training can do for you. I still have a lot of room for improvement. I averaged less than 15 mpw in the previous 5 months, but I was more consistent than I have been in the past. I need to continue building my volume and start adding in some tempo and speed work over the next couple of months.
Post race
Warm down:

At some orange slices, walked around a little bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need to run more, but I'm being real conservative with building my volume. I've discovered that my body needs a lot of time to adapt to new training loads. The 10% rule is too aggressive for me, so I need to continue to be patient. But I'm happy with where I am at this point.

Last updated: 2006-09-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:17 | 03.11 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/80
Overall: 166/1375
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 6:58; HR Avg 171 Mile 2: 7:19; HR Avg 182 Mile 3: 7:11; HR Avg 185 .1 mile: 0:49; HR Avg 188
Course: Starts at Orlando Science Center, kind of a winding course through some older nice neighborhoods, mostly brick streets, lots of shade and some slight "hills."
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes