Glen Ridge Educational Foundation
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 48m 59s
Overall Rank = 1974/2906
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 186/316
Pre-race routine:

We left a little late, and got there with only about half an hour to go. It was tricky to find parking, and then we had to walk a few blocks over to the high school and push through the crowds to check in and use the bathroom. I got off the port-a-potty line at 8:59:26. I did a tiny bit of stretching before the race while on the port-a-potty line, but no other warm-up. (This did not a feel like a great plan, since my calf has felt so awful the past few days, but I had little choice.)
Event warmup:

Basically none.
Run
  • 48m 59s
  • 8 kms
  • 06m 07s  min/km
Comments:

I started off slow to give my heel and calf a good warmup before pushing them. I honestly wasn't sure how far I could run today, because it felt irritated from even walking this morning. The beginning of the run went over the railroad tracks and downhill, and that downhill immediately irritated my heel so I had to slow down considerably. As I went through the first mile, though, it started to feel a bit better. I basically built to a reasonably fast run pace through the rest of the race. I was still afraid of breaking into a sprint at the end, but I kept up a hard run through the last half mile. I felt like I was in really good shape - only had a bit of trouble in the last half mile after going up a fairly steep side street which got my heart rate pretty high.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was thrilled with this, considering how my leg has been feeling for the past few days. If I had not been injured, I would have wanted to go out much faster than I did. This was probably good practice for the Philly half in March, where I will definitely want to start slow and build.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Sat in the back seat to keep my leg extended on the way home (it's been knotting up when I've been in the car the past few days). Took a nice hot shower and stretched a little. Right now, a few hours later, I'm not having any problems.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury.

Last updated: 2016-10-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:59 | 08 kms | 06m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 186/316
Overall: 2906/2906
Performance:
First mile was about 10:45, second 10:05, third 9:40, fourth 9:50, and final .97 mile was down close to 9:00.
Course: From the front of Glen Ridge High School down to Ridgewood Ave, down Ridgewood for over a mile, around the block onto a parallel road, down that to just past Bloomfield, past the finish line, then down and back for the last mile or so. There may have been a few more little turns in there, but I don't know the area that well and wasn't paying close attention.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes