General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spouse Approval Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-12-01 2:32 PM

New user
Subject: Spouse Approval
Would you sign up for an IM (especially your first ) without your spouse /significant other's approval and/or support?

2016-12-01 2:40 PM
in reply to: goforit

User image

Subject: RE: Spouse Approval
I don't need my husband's approval to do anything. However, he would need to support me in training for an IM. For the record, he has been very supportive, and I am lucky that because he works out of the house most of the time, he does most of the cooking and cleaning anyway. He is also a homebody, so we don't have scheduling conflicts.

If he weren't supportive, I would want to know why. Do I have a history of selfish endeavors that put an unfair burden on him? Does he feel that it is his turn to do something time consuming while I take the bulk of the responsibilities? If kids were an issue, would he be concerned that I wouldn't be there for them? Those would all be valid reasons for someone being less than 100% supportive. However, if we just didn't want me to do it or was jealous about me training with men or something else really insecure, that would cause me to question the relationship and think counseling was in order.
2016-12-01 2:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

without your spouse /significant other's approval = No

and/or support = maybe

IMO regardless of distance training without approval is going to cause problems.  Your significant other doesn't necessarily have to support your efforts although it would be nice.  But without approval I couldn't see getting in enough training without it turning into arguments. 

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-12-01 2:44 PM
2016-12-01 2:49 PM

User image

Pro

If you are in a traditional marriage of man & woman this is my suggestion:

If you are a man and want to not have to ask your wife's permission to do/buy anything then buy her a horse;  If you are a woman and never want to ask your husband's permission to do/buy anything then buy him a motorcycle.  For the most part, that's the last you'll ever see of them except for when they are not riding (which only ends up being when they are at work or sleeping)........and they won't give a rats arse what you are doing.

P.S. - the horse thing also works on teenage daughters.  It's actually amazing.

You're welcome.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-12-01 2:50 PM
2016-12-01 3:26 PM

I wouldn't  need to ask, but that's not because I'm inconsiderate, but because I've reconfigured my training times to 4-6AM, even on weekends as well as my work lunch hour, so my family never sees my training time cut into family life, even at 14-16 hrs/week of training. 

The few time that I do need longer than 4-8AM on the weekend, I do check with the wife that it's ok, and of course, I do check that clearing race day for travel is ok. 

Message is, that it is possible to work a full time job and train without hugely disrupting your family, if you can manage such a schedule. 

2016-12-01 4:06 PM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Originally posted by goforit

Would you sign up for an IM (especially your first ) without your spouse /significant other's approval and/or support?

No, especially if kids are involved as the commitment on their part can be very significant.

2016-12-01 5:26 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by goforit Would you sign up for an IM (especially your first ) without your spouse /significant other's approval and/or support?

My younger brother did two (2) full Ironman in 2002.  He was a single college student at the time but when I learned in 2014 there was going to be a 70.3/140.6 triathlon in my home that had the starting line 10 minutes from my front door I wanted to do it to have that shared experience with my brother and other Triathletes that I had networked with through my work.  I was afraid to ask my wife if I could do it because I didn't know if I could find the time to train for a long course triathlon and still fulfill all my responsibilities at home.  I worked out a schedule that only require for my family to give me up to training three hour on Saturday mornings and on a few Thursday evening.  They were okay with that so I got the permission to do the race. Also since this was a home town race my daughter didn't miss your tt ball game on race day (which may have been a deal breaker if I had wanted to do another race).   

By talking to your spouse up front it allows both of you to look and what adjustments need to be made and come up with a plan together.  Every thing in a marriage should be worked on together.  There may be some compromises that have to be made on both part and if you aren't both on board with that before you start then your spouse will NOT be happy when you dump a bunch of your duties on him/her to make time for training or don't have time for family activities that they were wanting to do and expecting you to attend with them.  

So...yes...if you value your marriage then talk to you spouse before you sign up for something that is going to require hundreds of hours of training, thousands of dollars, and possible mean the difference between going to one of the tourist traps on you spouse's bucket list over the limited work vacation the bread winner in the home is given every year so that they can camping out on the side of the road in the blazing sun all day so they can see you for 10 seconds as you go by them on your bicycle.

If my wife said no...I won't do a race.  I only race with the family's support.      

2016-12-01 5:31 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by goforit Would you sign up for an IM (especially your first ) without your spouse /significant other's approval and/or support?

If my wife said no...I won't do a race.  I only race with the family's support.      

2016-12-01 5:42 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
No, my wife is more important than racing. Not that she would ever say no... she's a triathlete as well, so chances are she'd sign up as well. :-)
2016-12-01 5:57 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No spouse, so no, I wouldn't ask. But reading this, I realized I would ask for my boss's approval, and actually did that before Worlds and nearly a year in advance of a race I'm planning next year. Definitely would ask about IM. It has to do with leave. Pretty much all my races involve overseas travel, and even a sprint or Oly is a real stretch to do in a regular weekend when one is flying internationally with bike in tow. For full IM I would definitely need more than the usual 1-2 days of leave, and we only get 2 days of personal leave a year. I guess this proves I am kind of married to my job!

I
2016-12-01 6:38 PM
in reply to: #5206560

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
In my case, my wife suggested I do an Ironman next year so...BAM! Signed up real quick before she changed her mind lol

2016-12-01 7:21 PM
in reply to: tbcoffee

User image

I don't hunt, fish, golf or watch football and I work from home so my wife fell out of her chair when I said I wanted to do Tri's. Her support kept me in the game. But, I could/would never have asked if my children were not at this age (10, 13, 14) when they manage themselves.

I also looked at it another way.

By telling my wife (and family and friends) that I wanted to do an Ironman, I had that social/peer pressure to go through with it and to train.
2016-12-01 9:01 PM
in reply to: #5206593

User image

, North Carolina
What's really shitty is when they say go for it and it's cool for the first few months then the 2x day workouts start and the 4+ hour training sessions starting coming in and the support fades.

You'll find the people the most successful have a person back home that has their back 100%.

Read that race report from the Canadian dude that was 1st non-pro at IMAZ his wife makes it happen.

2016-12-01 10:49 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think this is true with family in general, not just spouses. Mom loves to watch me race and get on the podium, but isn't pleased sometimes when one of my workouts takes 3-4 hours and she has other ideas about how to spend the time..... My best pool and weight room access is nearly a half hour drive away, so even something basic like a 3K swim and 30-40 minutes of strength work can easily eat up a good chunk of the day between driving, changing, workouts, etc. And that's just for HIM. I imagine there would be some family conflict if I routinely said, "I'm going for a seven-hour ride today," during my limited time at home.
2016-12-02 8:08 AM
in reply to: #5206606

New user
Thanks for the replies! Great advice, that i needed to hear. Have been married for 18 great years. Four children (teenagers). She didn't say no (or yes), just concerned about finances and time spent training on weekends. I think i will give her some time to consider it, but if shes not fully on board,i will wait and try again later. Thanks
2016-12-02 8:23 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by yazmaster

I wouldn't  need to ask, but that's not because I'm inconsiderate, but because I've reconfigured my training times to 4-6AM, even on weekends as well as my work lunch hour, so my family never sees my training time cut into family life, even at 14-16 hrs/week of training. 

The few time that I do need longer than 4-8AM on the weekend, I do check with the wife that it's ok, and of course, I do check that clearing race day for travel is ok. 

Message is, that it is possible to work a full time job and train without hugely disrupting your family, if you can manage such a schedule. 

i do this, too, but the long rides usually do have to be coordinated with the wife.

that being said, during the heavier build weeks, i've earned the nickname "pappy grand slappy", as i'm in bed, at the latest, by 10PM.

2016-12-02 8:40 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Definitely not. so many aspects of life need to be coordinated - many have already said about the training time support but there's also the cost which is usually pretty significant unless you happen to live right where an Ironman is ... then plus all the nutrition and supplies. I can't imagine passing off the $800 race fee plus the vacation time and accommodation costs associated with that without asking. 

My hubby and i actually have a '$100 rule' where if we plan to buy something more than $100 we have to talk about it first. We rarely say no but it is an important way to keep the lines of communication open. 

Before kid, my DH and i did IM together. It was pretty awesome. Tiring but awesome. 

2016-12-02 9:05 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

I have two kids under the age of four, and my wife is a runner. So, we talk about the races we want to do over the coming year, look at our non-athletic schedules, and decide together what is feasible for our family, both in terms of racing and for training. The primary driver for the discussion is to make sure we both have time to do our own training without pushing one parent to be solo all the time.

Because we discuss these things openly, it's typically not a question of approval of races, but more as a means of finding a way to make a preferred race happen.

2016-12-02 9:07 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Aledo, Texas

i do this, too, but the long rides usually do have to be coordinated with the wife. that being said, during the heavier build weeks, i've earned the nickname "pappy grand slappy", as i'm in bed, at the latest, by 10PM.

10:00? By then, I've been asleep for at least an hour. I'm 35, going on 80.

2016-12-02 10:08 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by Left Brain

If you are in a traditional marriage of man & woman this is my suggestion:

If you are a man and want to not have to ask your wife's permission to do/buy anything then buy her a horse;  If you are a woman and never want to ask your husband's permission to do/buy anything then buy him a motorcycle.  For the most part, that's the last you'll ever see of them except for when they are not riding (which only ends up being when they are at work or sleeping)........and they won't give a rats arse what you are doing.

P.S. - the horse thing also works on teenage daughters.  It's actually amazing.

You're welcome.

And there you have it, right from the horses mouth
2016-12-02 11:48 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain
motorcycle.

No motorcycle for me, thanks.
I just don't want to be pressured to do 'beadboard' or 'ship lap' when I finally get around to replacing the porch ceiling. Also, no crown molding.

The words..."Just some marine plywood and some caulk and cover that bad boy with some paint." would be near enough to get me to support her cheating on me. As long as it's with John Hamm or Roger Cross.

I'm afraid of motorcycles. Only two kinds of motorcycle riders exist. Those that have had an accident. And those who will.

2016-12-02 1:11 PM

User image

Originally posted by goforit

Thanks for the replies! Great advice, that i needed to hear. Have been married for 18 great years. Four children (teenagers). She didn't say no (or yes), just concerned about finances and time spent training on weekends. I think i will give her some time to consider it, but if shes not fully on board,i will wait and try again later. Thanks

Depending on your kids, you may be able to have them join you during your training (although teenagers should be pretty self-sufficient). Kids like to swim? They can do laps while you do. A friend of mine does marathons and has three kids under the age of 12. They ride their bikes and keep him company on his runs. Another friend brings his road bike and trains while his kid is at baseball practice.
2016-12-02 1:48 PM

User image

Can't help with finances but for training I'd show her your training schedule or something similar to what you hope to follow.  Explain it's not set in stone and see if there's anything that concerns her and what alternatives there might be.

If that fails get the horse. 

2016-12-02 3:23 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by LundyLund

i do this, too, but the long rides usually do have to be coordinated with the wife. that being said, during the heavier build weeks, i've earned the nickname "pappy grand slappy", as i'm in bed, at the latest, by 10PM.

10:00? By then, I've been asleep for at least an hour. I'm 35, going on 80.

I get up at 5:00 AM every morning (including weekends) but that doesn't make more time in the day because, yes, you do have to go to bed earlier.  

My wife and I used to play Settlers of Catan about every night or watch to show after we got the kids to go to bed.  If the kids go down between 8-9 PM and I go down between 9-10 PM there isn't much time for a board game or a show.  When your spouse is with kids all the time and you are the only adult they speak with some days that extra time together in the evening could be just as hard for the spouse to give as extra time in the morning.  

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Can't help with finances but for training I'd show her your training schedule or something similar to what you hope to follow.  Explain it's not set in stone and see if there's anything that concerns her and what alternatives there might be.

If that fails get the horse. 

And ..This.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-12-02 3:26 PM
2016-12-02 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I had a talk with my wife before signing up for my first IM. It was a bucket list item and I was turning 5O that year. I explained the long training hours involved and how it would pull me away from the family. She understood it was important to me and told me to go for it. She never complained once during all of the long training days. I don't think that would have been the case if we didn't discuss it before hand.
She had to pull a lot of my weight in areas around the house so it is important to include the spouse in the process.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spouse Approval Rss Feed  

of 2