General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Last Event/Training in 2011 -- Am I Able to Start Over Again? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-01 9:43 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: Last Event/Training in 2011 -- Am I Able to Start Over Again?
Was into SBR for a while, maybe 9-12 months or a little more.

Did a Sprint after about 8-9 weeks training, then couple months later another.
Then about 6 months total into Triathlon training ran the inaugural Augusta 70.3, and then rested a bit and trained a bit for a couple months after - then fell off the planet.

So, now about 5 years later, 5 years older, about 25-30 lbs. heavier again and at the ripe old age of 51 -- do I even dare start training again.

I've not committed to any events, or any set training schedule or even when I might show up at a gym, pool, or trail again or whether I'll get my old Felt S32 tuned up (I think that is what it is) ....I did at least just sign up for the Silver membership whilst the deal was still going.

So anyhow - we will see. My biggest motivation at this point is seeing my 70's something mother in critical care at the hospital, suffering from a stoke and multiple other health conditions brought on by an inactive and poor lifestyle.

I never want my wife, children and other loved ones to go through with me, what I'm currently going through.
So maybe, just maybe I'll attempt training again ...or maybe hopefully if I hang around with enough of the right "healthy lifestyle minded" people that something will rub off on me and I'll do something, if even just taking more walks.

2016-12-02 8:49 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Last Event/Training in 2011 -- Am I Able to Start Over Again?
klowman, welcome.

You can do this. I went from almost couch potato status to triathlete at the age of 59. With one sprint under my belt I finished a HIM this year a couple of months before my 61st birthday. Added a couple of sprints to complete the season. All at about 35 lbs lighter than when I started down this path. My original motivation for getting going was health. I had reached the point where it was either uphill or downhill for the rest of my life. I chose uphill. Of course, I am now hooked on triathlon.

Sorry to hear about your mom. My mother lived into her mid-80s but was plagued by health problems relating to lifestyle and lack of exercise. A victim of stroke, mobility issues and respiratory problems (former smoker), she spent her last few years in a wheelchair. My dad will be 93 in about four months, a lifetime athlete. He is slowing down, but it's more from being worn out. He still exercises every day. I would rather have his fate than my mother's.

Good luck, sir. If you choose this path I feel you are doing the right thing.

Regards,
Gil

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-12-02 8:52 AM
2016-12-07 10:33 AM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Last Event/Training in 2011 -- Am I Able to Start Over Again?
Dude, I turned 50 in October two weeks after my first full Ironman so hell yeah you can do this. Lots of people start in their 50's. Have fun, be an example to the younger (and older for that matter) folks in your life. 50 is the new 40. Don't overthink it. I have yet to follow a training plan, I just swim 2-3 times a week, bike 2-3 times a week and run 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I take a break where I may take 2 days off and do nothing but get back on track to keep fit and keep that weight down.

I know where you're at, my Mom passed a few years back due to unhealthy habits etc. and myself and my kids were part of those last few months of her life. They "get" why I do these things, you know, disappear for 4-5 hours on my bike or 2-3 hours running etc.

Welcome back!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Last Event/Training in 2011 -- Am I Able to Start Over Again? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Started the journey in 2011

Started by cobblers
Views: 721 Posts: 2

2012-01-03 2:13 PM TriAya

Here I am at Last, Ready for Training

Started by aross33
Views: 835 Posts: 2

2008-08-26 2:47 PM TriAya

Starting over again...

Started by cadreamer
Views: 802 Posts: 6

2005-06-25 2:08 PM cadreamer

Starting all over again

Started by chop
Views: 975 Posts: 4

2004-12-29 2:24 AM Ron

Start With One Event First?

Started by EarthgirlOK
Views: 1267 Posts: 11

2004-02-09 11:03 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2016
author : rjcalhoun
comments : 5
From heavy, stressed business owner to triathlete

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.