General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon Super Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Geneva Triathlon Super Sprint - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
United States
65?F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 16s
Overall Rank = 3/150
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30 this morning to make the hour long trek. Had EVERYTHING packed last nite so I could just go. GOt up and did the typical PopTart and OJ. Hopped in the car adn drove. Got there about 5 am for registration - which is good I arrived early to be near the front in line. But boy was it Dark. No problems and went to set up transition. Unfortunately,as I now know, Frank dobbs events start when he wants to! We delayed everything and what was originally a 6:15 HIM start became 6:40 ish and our original 6:45 became 7 became about 7:50? Being out there so long I was getting cool and stiff. Also needed to gain some energy again. Snackked on half a PopTart and tried plainGu - no taste and not real exciting, but nice in the fact there is no after taste. I recommend it for pre race, not not during race.
Event warmup:

Nothing major, slight stretch and little hopping as I trried to stay warm, but prettty much jump in and go!
Swim
  • 08m 45s
  • 457 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had no go! set myself up well to the inside in front and exploded out the gate. But after about 50m I just hit a wall and could not push myself hard. So I settled into a good pace and just held it. At the buoy made a quick clean turn and brought it home with the same pace.

It was interesting going out, the waves and breathing were not a problem. Sighting was okay and kept a fairly straight line in the middle of the small triangle. But, there were HIM, Oly and Sprint swimmers ALL over the place. I had to watch for them more than anything else. Almost went head to head with a yellow cap before the turn by about 50m
What would you do differently?:

Nothing I guess. I never believed I could be in the top 3 swimmers overall in any event. I just wish I could have been more explosive in the swim. I should rank my self for a good swimm but . . .
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

This was the first Tri I tried with my knee brace under my suit. It went well and I think it saved almost a full minute. I was glad to have the obnoxious red and pink towel. I could see my spot immediately out of the water. Ran straight over, had lots of room, got stuck on the left heel and fully done ran out. Just lifted my bike and ran it over the sand to the exit. At the exit everyone was trying to mount right away. I just ran around them and hopped on (not my best) and slowly gained speed in the congested traffic.

Try to get out the suit a little smoother. But I am improving this T1 time by having the knee brace on to start the race.
Bike
  • 56m 8s
  • 20 miles
  • 21.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed myself but never felt like I was over doing it. It was fun passing people, felt like 400. I just kept passing people at almost every moment. It was a good push for the first half of the race but had no Idea of how fast people were going. I needed a pacer to help. One guy passed me early but dropped fast, within 2 miles I flew past him. At about 13 miles one racer passed me and I picked it up a little. I just stayed near him until the final mile. Then I passed him down hills, he passed me up hills and at the final little hill he was ahead and for safety, I just let him take the fianl 50 yds in so there would be not accident- 50 yds of cranking will do nothing for me anyway.

I HammerGel'd once 25 minutes in on the bike and it helped. I felt the surge for the second wind at 40 minutes of the bike. It helped me push it in.

Also, the sprint did the same course as us and of the 620 athletes doing this 20 mile course I was 13th overall!

Probably drive the course once to know the turns a bit better. I slowed on a few cause I had no idea what to expect. But overall i have improved my pace again
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

As always quick transition area for me because of running shoes on. Ran to my spot and racked fast and stripped gear. Then took race belt and running shirt and bolted like a turtle. I am not a fast runner I know it

The unfortunate thing was my rack spot was on the complete opposite end of the transition area. So I had to run further just to get out.

NOthing, it went well. I am just glad I knew where the run exit was. I saw too many people trying to run out the bike gate and being lost. All you had to do is read the email instructions we were sent 2x. They explained it in there.
Run
  • 07m 16s
  • 1 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This was perfect for me. The run is my weakest and 1 mile is great. I ran for about 2/3 to 3/4 of it. I still cannot maintain a consistent run for a full mile. But ran faster when I was running. The knees felt good! All I kept thinking, even just out the transition. I am almost there! And for a 7:16 mile that is phenomenal for me. I now think the run course may be shorter that the full mile, but even for all.

Nothing just enjoyed it
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little, ate a little, talked to a few other finishers.

Then packed up fast, had to get to my cousin's wedding, and still had to drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Waiting so long and being cold - but the water was warmer than the air

Event comments:

Great course great venue great fun!

The race was delayed at points when it probably shouldn't have. The 10am awards ceremony started at about 11:15. Frank just takes his sweet time. If it wasn't for the course and the area, I would not consider coming back. But I do like the area, and as long as I do not have any prior engagements that I need to rush to, I will be back.

Last updated: 2006-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:45 | 457 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 5/150
Performance: Average
Suit: yes
Course: out and back to a point.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:08 | 20 miles | 21.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 4/150
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: LOVED IT! People said it was a hilly area. It fortunately have traind with bigger hills and never had to come out of third gear the whole race. The first hill was a little challenge going up because of incline and tons of riders all over the road. A few sharp turns that thankfully the roads were not wet otherwise there would have been problems. Originally this was a 17 mile course, but construction changed the course and according to several other athletes, the course clocked in at 20 miles! It was well marked and easy to know where to go. I really enjoyed the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal