91.4F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 19m 52s
Overall Rank = 231/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 44/
Pre-race routine:

Saturday, day b:efore race routine:
-8:30pm: prep'd all the pre day/pre race and race day nutrition.
-Drank 12oz of UCAN (3 scoops), OSMO (2.5 scoops), - pre calorie and pre hydration load
-Bed time at 10:30p (too late)

Sunday morning prep:
- 3am wake up call
- 4:15a transition arrival
- Sipped on another 16oz UCAN/OSMO/Salt pre load mix from 4a till start
- New checklist item: bring own toilet paper or wipes to start (porta potties DIDN'T HAVE TOILET PAPER!)

Event warmup:

-No warmup. I should've done something though.
-Race started 40 min late. Apparently there was a car stuck in the middle of the bike course and it took them awhile to clear the road, special police forces were needed.
-
Swim
  • 40m 13s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

I couldn't find good enough feet to draft off. Decided to just swim on my own. Water was warm but not over bearing. Going out, the sun was right in front of you when trying to sight which made it hard to see buoys.
What would you do differently?:

During the race, nada. I need to swim faster which means more pool time with proper workout sessions for my needs. Maybe 1 on 1 sessions in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 04m 16s
Comments:

-Used my FSSeries team Castelli Tri Sanremo SS suit. For the swim I roll down the top half in the swim skin. I don't swim with the tri suit fully on because in Puerto Rico during a practice swim it chaffed me pretty bad.
-Cartagena's swim exit to T1 was longer than usual but it gave me the time I needed to pull down the swim skin and struggle a bit with the Sanremo suit while I ran to the bike. Sanremo suit was fully on by the time I got to the bike.

Remember to TAKE OFF the damn swim skin before leaving to the bike exit. DOH! Luckily I took only 4 to 5 step when I realized and turned right around to take it off and leave in transition.
Bike
  • 2h 27m 53s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.72 mile/hr
Comments:

-New for this race was leaving the bike shoes on the pedals w/ rubber bands. Took a risk because I did not practice before hand but it worked out great. (thanks, Mat W.)
-Immediately sipped on water. Ocean water left me thirsty
-My legs felt amazing. I hit it hard early on.
-The bike was crazy fast. Loved it. I was literally picking off people every 3sec. Flying.
-I even had to yell at some guys that kept trying to draft off me. #notgivingawayfreespeed
-At the turnaround I still felt strong and kept it lit!
-Nailed nutrition on the bike. UCAN/Base salt in one bottle, UCAN hydrate w/ water in another and the aero bottle just had water. Only accepted water from aid stations. No solids for this race.

-Rear Disc! Wind free on the bike!
-New aero helmet
-New bike as a matter of fact
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Went pretty smooth

-left behind shot blocks and a 150ml soft flask of UCAN/Salt. Till this day I don't know why I didn't take at least the shot blocks. It's not that I forgot, I looked at them and said meh. At that moment I still felt amazing. FML. Take the blocks or UCAN with you next time, dummy.
Run
  • 2h 05m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

The gruesome run. Holy shit. The heat and humidity got me. I couldn't hold my pace. By mile 6 I couldn't breathe and started to get dizzy. Had no choice but to slow down, I didn't want the med tent. After slowing down for a bit I just couldn't pick it back up. I was never the same after that slow down. Walked a ton. I would say I had the energy but as soon as I got into some kind of good rythym I'd start overheating and couldn't breathe good. I was running right about noon and the sun/humidity was at its highest. BLAZING! With little to no shade on the course. Once I realized I wasn't going to hold my pace I just sat back on my walk/run and enjoyed my Colombian people who were cheering in such a scenic and historic city. Amazing.

Or maybe I just didn't leave enough in the gas tank on the bike.

-bring my nutrition
-not take pepsi so early on the run course
-a lot more heat training in NYC
Post race
Warm down:

none.

Event comments:

The inaugural Ironman 70.3 Cartagena in Colombia was great. Beautiful destination, fast course and amazing local support. The minor logistical issues experienced are not to fuss about. Shit happens and it was the first one in Colombia. Next one will be even better. I'll be back in 2018 or 2019.

Last updated: 2016-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:13 | 1931 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 87/
Overall: 572/
Performance: Average
Suit: ROKA Viper Elite Swimskin
Course: -1 loop, clockwise, rectangular bay swim -in water start, stair finish
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:16
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:27:53 | 56 miles | 22.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/
Overall: 156/
Performance: Good
My wahoo ticker HR strap and wahoo elemnt didn't want to register with each other. Not sure why. Didn't mess with it, left it alone and saw P1 pwr was at least reading.
Wind: Little
Course: - 1 loop, out and back - FLAT! with a couple rolling hills closer to the turn around - A few sections of the road had rough spots, potholes at the very beginning and end of the race. Nothing horrible though. Although I did see several people with flats through out the bike course. Which race doesn't have flats though?
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:05:15 | 13.1 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/
Overall: 231/
Performance: Bad
Still no HR with garmin fenix. Not sure what the hell was going on. I think my HR strap battery died.
Course: - 2 loops in the walled city. BEAUTIFUL - Mix of no shade and shade, 80% no shade :(
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-12-06 6:46 PM

User image

Regular
Durham, NC
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Cartagena

2016-12-09 1:17 PM
in reply to: #5207003

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Cartagena

Great race, sounds like a nice venue. You did great - sorry to hear about the run not going to plan but that heat sounds tough! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Cartagena Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by Daremo
Views: 6042 Posts: 31

2006-06-16 1:22 PM Hudnick

Ford Ironman 70.3 Honu

Started by ladavidson
Views: 3548 Posts: 12

2006-06-06 6:45 PM CitySky

Ford Ironman 70.3 Honu

Started by crusevegas
Views: 3309 Posts: 17

2006-06-12 11:03 AM crusevegas

Mexico IronMan 70.3 Baja

Started by CVSURF
Views: 2593 Posts: 8

2006-09-27 5:43 PM go_sparkles

Ironman 70.3 California

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 4099 Posts: 23

2006-03-21 10:25 AM dajeeman357
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.