General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this good Swim-Bike-Run training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-09 4:01 AM

Subject: Is this good Swim-Bike-Run training?
Hey,

I've started training for my first triathlon coming up. So far I have been doing 5 rides a week, 3 swims and 4 runs. Is this okay and not overtraining? My best out of the three is running. The reason I'm doing 5 days of cycling is because I'm also training for a cycling race which is after the triathlon, and because cycling takes up the biggest proportion of the triathlon apparently. Swimming is my worst of the three as I rarely swim and I'm only doing 3 days of swimming as I don't have enough time to go all the way to the pool throughout the week. Is this okay or should I change something?

Thanks!

2016-12-09 6:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Is this good Swim-Bike-Run training?
This sounds pretty reasonable and should be fine if you are physically up to that schedule and it fits into the rest of your life. As you mentioned, that is a lot of riding (I think most weeks I'm riding 3-4 times, even when training for half-ironman), but it makes sense if you are also training for a cycling race! Ideally, you could add another swim (maybe instead of the 5th ride), but if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't. But a consistent three days a week at the pool doing a focused workout, especially if you can get some guidance on technique, is considerably more than a lot of triathletes get. If you're a weak swimmer, I'd avoid the tendency to pile on too many yards, especially just mindlessly swimming laps, and focus on doing shorter repeats with good form.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-12-09 6:18 AM
2016-12-09 7:42 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Originally posted by Hot Runner

This sounds pretty reasonable and should be fine if you are physically up to that schedule and it fits into the rest of your life. As you mentioned, that is a lot of riding (I think most weeks I'm riding 3-4 times, even when training for half-ironman), but it makes sense if you are also training for a cycling race! Ideally, you could add another swim (maybe instead of the 5th ride), but if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't. But a consistent three days a week at the pool doing a focused workout, especially if you can get some guidance on technique, is considerably more than a lot of triathletes get. If you're a weak swimmer, I'd avoid the tendency to pile on too many yards, especially just mindlessly swimming laps, and focus on doing shorter repeats with good form.

Thanks mate!
2016-12-09 9:34 AM
in reply to: Joel0000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

yeah that's a great start!  The time on the bike is very important if it isn't your strongest sport.  Echo above, swimming is so technique based that I found the best thing I ever got was some on deck coaching.

Good luck!

2016-12-09 2:08 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Just make sure you have a decent proportion of easy and hard workouts. I've burnt out on much less, but that's because I tend to go too hard. I'm following a plan now, and even though I'm training 2 more hours per week than I'm used to I feel better than when I was just winging it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this good Swim-Bike-Run training? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM training - Extra hours go to Strength/flexibility training OR more swim/bike/run

Started by Tootshibbard
Views: 1037 Posts: 4

2016-05-22 2:15 PM miamiamy

Good at swim and bike but terrible at run Pages: 1 2

Started by lengthcroft
Views: 4289 Posts: 41

2012-05-12 5:18 PM gzh6464

HELP swim /bike/ run swim/ bike/ run.Transition help

Started by deadman
Views: 999 Posts: 1

2011-08-22 9:33 PM deadman

swim run good bike bad

Started by kleinewaise
Views: 659 Posts: 2

2010-03-05 12:47 PM menglo

first swim/bike/run training!!!!

Started by TriCat
Views: 971 Posts: 6

2004-05-26 12:58 AM Y-NOT-TRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 1, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Triathlete's doctor recommends road bike over tri bike

date : May 31, 2016
author : rjcalhoun
comments : 5
From heavy, stressed business owner to triathlete
date : July 14, 2015
author : CoachCK
comments : 1
It's time to improve upon your weakness in the water and start swimming faster. Instead of ignoring your swim skills (or lack thereof), it’s time to face them head-on.

date : April 14, 2010
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Unlike the running or biking portions which seem to have some long rides or runs as an ongoing part the swimming program involves a lot of shorter intervals with short rests in between. Explain?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
On August 31 I officially became a triathlete. With a big day ahead of me I went to bed early the night before. I woke up at 4:45 am. I was full of energy and ready to go!

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.