General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/10 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-09-10 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/10
Hey gang!

Decided to go ahead and start us a support thread because I need one. I just feel fat and frumpy and old this weekend....argh! I have not gone off the deep end, but have been up a few hundred calories a day for the past few days. No real reason, it's just been adding up when I don't pay attention.

Plus, I pretty much take weekends off from working out to spend time with family and get house stuff done.

And honestly, I think I am having a little depression about the fact that I NEED to get some work/find a job to help out with the family, but I have LOVED not needing to do that the past 5 years.

So - lack of motivation, hormone upheaval, and life situation stress eating I guess. Just reporting here, to share, I don't really need any advice but appreciate so much that you all are here just to listen.

THANKS!!!

Now, many of you have been quiet the past few days and a few mentioned that we need to poke you when you get quiet so hey everyone, WHAT's NEW????

And welcome to those who have joined up this weekend...I love our mix of ages, gender, situations, etc...it's gonna be good to get to know all of you better!

Annabanana

2006-09-10 11:07 AM
in reply to: #535530

User image

Expert
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/10
Thanks for getting this week's thread going. I am so psyched about our group effort. I, too, am excited about the diversity of our group, as it should lead to some great "cross-pollination" in ideas, strategies and perspectives.

The "blogging" has already made me need to think a bit more carefully about what I put in my mouth... and whether I put the book down and get up off of the couch to work out... the fact that I am now making my actions very visible to others is a bit intimidating, but I really like the accountability.

Annabanana - hang in there... this too, shall pass... know that we are rooting for you in your transition back into the work force! And, boy do I understand the hormonal changes... amazing how that can affect one's outlook, energy level, appetite, blah, blah, blah.

I am hoping to keep myself on track this week as I will be on a business trip for most of the week. This is when I usually run into trouble...

2006-09-10 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
hey girls,

i'm really glad someone finally started this... after all the preparation and such...

today wasn't a very good day for me either.. i can totally understand the hormone thing... gosh i'm on it for over 2 weeks now... don't know what's wrong with me...

and i really start missing home... i have two more weeks here in spain and right now i'm not very happy about it.. i have to move to a double room tomorrow and i don't like the person i'll be living with very much... but i have to be nice cuz i'm working for this school and everybody else is only here for vacation...

i miss my bed.. my back hurts so bad... i miss my cats, my horse, my friends, my bike... i never thought i'd miss home, but i gotta admit i do...

i'll meet some students for a run in about half an hour and i'm really not too motivated... i hope that'll change as soon as i put my running shoes on... that usually helps...

listening to you others it seems like it's just one of those weekends...
2006-09-10 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Yay, this thread is just in time! Man, this has been a tough few days!

My husband has been on a junk food kick like you wouldn't believe and it hard to be around all that crap food! It seems like every day he has a new reason for bringing it in the house: "Oh, it's the first day of football season so I bought fried cheese, tater skins, and nachos!" Ack!

Then yesterday was a family birthday celebration and just TONS of junk food everywhere!

I've hung tough through it all (thankfully) but man, it is SO HARD. SO HARD! Sometimes I think abstaining from the crap meals is actually harder than all the training! And I'm just not one of those people who can "have just a little bit of birthday cake". I'm all or nothing. Either I'm on-plan and I don't even have a taste, or I'm off-plan and it's a food free-for-all that will result in weeks of over-eating. I've been on-plan since June 19 -- my first day of training, but I'm telling you, it is really a B*TCH.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Does it ever get easier?

Group hug for all of us who are struggling!
2006-09-10 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
i'm the same way - all or nothing... if there's a bar of chocolate in the house i might be able to eat a piece and put it back in the fridge.. but i'll be sneaking back to the fridge till it's gone (about 30 mins later lol)... i admire those people who can leave it there and eat just a bit every day...
2006-09-10 11:51 AM

User image

Master
annabananamc - 2006-09-10 11:09 AM
I just feel fat and frumpy and old this weekend....argh!

That's how I felt at my 5k this weekend, which makes me want to be even tougher about meal planning. I think I'm of pretty average build/weight but man, there are some really in-shape women at these races. They make me feel like an awkward draft-horse.

At least you (and I) haven't gone off the deep end when these feelings strike. Because that NEVER helps!

Sending you positive vibes on the job thing!

2006-09-10 11:54 AM
in reply to: #535559

User image

Master
Yoganerd - 2006-09-10 12:07 PM
I am hoping to keep myself on track this week as I will be on a business trip for most of the week. This is when I usually run into trouble...

You can do it! Think of us when you feel tempted to stray. I know traveling makes me want to snack for some reason, and of course eating out makes it hard to watch portions, so I understand your concerns.

Hang in there, you CAN do it!
2006-09-10 11:55 AM
in reply to: #535566

User image

Master
kathie - 2006-09-10 12:21 PM
and i really start missing home... i have two more weeks here in spain and right now i'm not very happy about it.. i have to move to a double room tomorrow and i don't like the person i'll be living with very much... but i have to be nice cuz i'm working for this school and everybody else is only here for vacation...

Hey Kathie, don't let those feelings drag you down. You're in a tough spot, that's for sure. hang in there -- going for a run is probably the best thing you can do! Release some endorphins and feel good about your accomplishments!

Hang in there!
2006-09-10 12:12 PM

Regular
Alls well with me.

I'm not doing too well with the weight loss. I'll have to look at my diet a little close. If I suffer another week with no weight loss, I'll have to start a food journal. Working 7days a week is cutting into my training time, but I knew it would going in. I should be back to a regular schedule by the end of month. I'll still have one training day shot since Tuesday nights will be taken up for prenatal classes but, I'll just have to move my rest day to Tueday for a while.

I'm going to try 3,000 mg of Vitamin C to see if it works as a cortisol blocker. I was using GABA as a thermogenic for the first few weeks, but I was actually so warm in bed that I couldn't sleep. I might add it back after a week or two if the vitamin C doesn't work on its own.

I'd like to lose 2 lbs a week until I'm between 165 and 185. We'll see what the next couple of weeks bring
2006-09-10 1:13 PM

User image

Rainy WA
Hi fellow losers,

I'm doing fine today. Yesterday was just terrible--we did our long walk, 10 miles this week. I felt awful, never felt so crummy. I was blaming the weather til I figured out late in the afternoon I was coming down with a cold. Lots of Vitamin C and rest. I'm still take the Vitamin C and feel much better. My bones don't ache today!

Annabanana, good luck with the stress and the hormones. Especially the hormones!

Sharon, I wish you the best on the business trip.

Kathie, how was the run? Great way to get your mind off things.

Michelle, wow--that's good junk food! I got hungry reading it. Good thing I'm way over here, not there. I see why you're strugging. Whatever will power you practice, good going!

John, that's hard working 7 days a week. I'd be interested in hearing how the Vitamin C works.

Hope your Sunday goes well (better)!

2006-09-10 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
hey fellow losers...

my run went just fine... i had totally forgotten that it's sunday and half of madrid seems to be at the park on sundays... so i picked some side tracks and ran and ran and ran... it was great... like always i wasn't fast, but i'm not breathing as hard and the 5 minutes of running aren't a struggle anymore...

but now i'm back at the apartment and most of the endorphines seem to be gone already... i opened my room and i have a couple of clothe piles on the floor cuz i gotta do laundry and i was sorting things while i was moving my stuff to the other room...

my new roommate saw that bitched at me already... and it wasn't even in "our" room... it was in my single room!!

and on top of all that my kidneys really hurt again... i've had the same problem about two months ago and the doc checked everything and said i'm fine and told me not to worry about it.... but kidneys don't just hurt... i'm a bit worried about it... maybe i slept without a blanket last night and they got a little cold.. i'll have to watch it over the next few days...

but yeah you guys are right... i should rather think about my great run instead of all the crap here... and i'll for sure enjoy the few quiet hours i have left here...

2006-09-10 4:44 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hey all -

Hope you're getting all of the "stay out of the junk food" vibes I'm sending out to you. I'm struggling right along with ya - I forgot to mention that I'm a huge stress monkey which totally whacks my diet, and right now I'm pretty overwhelmed at work, so my eating is not so great.

Anyway, I better get back to work on my stuff, but I wanted to check in.

ES
2006-09-10 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities
Your stay-away-from-junk-food vibe must be working. My honey was munching on some M&Ms - one of my favorites, while we were watching football. So far, my hand has stayed away from the "jumbo" bag that is in the cupboard.
2006-09-10 5:52 PM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
AHHHH ... finally ... an advantage to being single ... no spouse or SO to bring junk food into the house ... *sigh* ... still a short list, though. Way to go all of you that have been SO resistant!

I think we probably all need to learn the art of cutting ourselves some slack, because we're in this for the long haul. There will be good days and weeks and bad days and weeks .... the key is to just keep plugging through them as they come. Most of us don't have the advantage of a free and easy lifestyle that will simply allow us to add 5-10 hours of training without something else suffering ... or appearing to suffer. When you're all or nothing, which I am, it takes a conscious effort to remember that family and self come first and I've got a lifetime to get my training together. I think my cold taught me a valuable lesson ... sometimes you can train ... and sometimes you have to deal with life. Every day is a new training opportunity. This isn't like battling with alcohol or drugs where you're falling off a wagon if you miss a day or two ... or a week or two or training. Your body has amazing muscle memory, and it will only punish you a little if you have to take a break.

If we keep at it, the weight WILL come off!
2006-09-10 6:59 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Oh thanks Robin...that is a message I need to hear. I missed two of my shorter workouts this past week and am fighting the Sunday evening regrets...with a really tought first time Oly tri coming up in October, it's easy for me to feel like a failure for a missed workout - how silly is that!

So now, instead of self flagellation, I'm going to go listen to my 4yr old read me his book from school and put him to bed...perspective!

Thanks again, gang,
Ann
2006-09-10 7:07 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Not really a support comment, but since so many of y'all have little ones...how do you handle balancing weight loss with promoting a healthy image to your kids? I've been struck a few times recently when my 4-year old tells me that she isn't going to have desert because she doesn't want to be fat...at home, we've been trying to instead focus on "we eat this way because it makes us feel better," "we exercise because it makes us healthy, lets us keep up with you, etc." but I know that the F-word occasionally pops out of my mouth (no, not that F-word, although heaven forbid that one sometimes slips, but the other F-word - FAT).

I've been reading all the media reports on how Mom is the biggest influence on girls' body image, and I was hoping that my quest for health would promote positives for my girls, but now I'm starting to think she's getting the wrong message.

Anyway - wholly off topic, but I was inspired by Anna reading with her 4-year old.

ES

2006-09-10 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Hey ES - I don't think that's off topic at all, because sending our kids the good message is also sending it to ourselves, and I know that half my battle is in my head - those years of self talk about being 'fat' or my mom's eternal 'these extra 10lbs' talk...

I try not to say FAT. If I am talking about feeling fat, it is a pretty low point for me, and I don't think I say it out loud very often at all. Usually I am always talking about being healthy, and that I work out so that I can live a long time and feel good. My DS is getting that message really well. He knows that exercise is important, and that he needs good foods to give him energy for all the things he wants to do. My tri coach/SWAT trainer has a class for kids that DS goes to - they learn about stretching, warming up, eating well, hydration, and fun through fitness (adventurekids.org)

We also talk about healthy foods vs. unhealthy foods. DS knows that he has to balance things out throughout the day. For instance, if we go to the grocery store where they give out free cookies, he'll ask me 'Did I have too much sugar today?' and we'll talk about what he's eaten. Sometimes I show him how to make a choice 'Well, if you get the cookie at the grocery store, you will need to drink milk or water instead of juice at dinner, and no desert' - then he can decide.

We also talk about organics, and the ways they are better for us, and which things it's most important to get organic.

Basically I want him to know that food is fuel most of all, and exercise is a part of your life that is fun and important to do.

Teaching him helps reinforce it in me, too. I am sure that it is harder with girls, because they are really looking to you for their own body image/ideas/thinking, and you really have to be on alert because we were raised in the supermodel ideal of never being OK. Definitely don't want to pass that along!

GOOD LUCK!
Ann
2006-09-10 8:28 PM
in reply to: #535750

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
annabananamc - 2006-09-10 7:59 PM

So now, instead of self flagellation, I'm going to go listen to my 4yr old read me his book from school and put him to bed...perspective!

Thanks again, gang,
Ann

Good for you! The next time you go to workout ... take a minute to visualize and remember how good it felt to spend those moments with your son ... or even use that visualization as you work out ... the positive feelings of the balance between the two will keep you motivated and I'll bet it will help you relax and really get into your training experience guilt free!

Way to go!
2006-09-10 9:01 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Today I did the bike portion of a HIM relay with two other BT women...all of us  40+! It was hard, but I was proud of how I did. 2 years ago in my first tri I averaged like 12 something mph on the bike for 10 whole miles...today just over 18 on a hilly course with headwinds for 56 miles.

Crap what do I do after finishing eat and eat and eat...crude..had whole wheat pasta with homemade sauce my husband made while I was gone most of the weekend for the tri for dinner. I don't eat processed carbs but did today. Topped it off with a trip to DQ for a blizzard...I did work hard today...I don't do this rewards for food but for some reason I did today. My tummy feels yucky. I need to get back on my normal program tomorrow.....being honest should help.

Sad thing is that today when I weighed myself at 4:30 am I weighed 168.2 and if I had slept a normal amount I know when I weighed myself I would have hit a new low....a bit of self sabatoge combined with celebration as this was a goal all season to do this HIM...sort of a half step up to a HIM.

Better check on me tomorrow...need to be on the straight and narrow.

We've decided after my last tri next weekend to take a full 2 weeks off  with zero training to allow my body to detrain (did you know there is such a word) and then start training on my weaknesses for the 2007 season. Scary stuff no workouts for 2 weeks....how do I eat then?

2006-09-11 4:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
hey kathy good job with the bikeride!! and come on... you felt like eating it - so once in a while you have to allow yourself to eat it... i mean not every day, but if you surpress the craving all the time it'll come out even worse... and rather eat stuff like that after such a long bike ride than on a day when you don't work out at all

i'm in a real eating mood right now.. i'm not hungry, but i'm unhappy and somehow a part of my brain still thinks that food can make it all better... why is that? does anyone have a logical explaination, why people like me try to compensate bad experiences with food? it doesn't make any sense to me but i am that way...

it always goes like that... i'm unhappy with something i can't change... i eat cuz i think it'll make me feel better... i enjoy the food cuz it's soo gooood... and then i feel even worse cuz i let myself go and ate all that stuff, ruined my diet and my workouts were good for nothing... then i'm scared of next saturday (weigh day) and stress myself even more about losing weight...

it's a vicious circle and i only seem to be able to escape from it for a little while at a time... *sigh*
2006-09-11 4:52 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Good morning everyone!

Kathy - wtg on the half IM...doing one as a relay sounds like a really smart way to work up to one, which is a long-term goal for me. Thanks for the ideas and congrats on your finish. Did you have a team name?

And I hear you about using food as a reward. I do that too and it's my biggest downfall. I don't go totally crazy, but enough that it makes me feel bad (physicall and emotionall) sometime. Pasta and blizzards would get me, too. You'll be back on track today I know.

Kathie - I also have that same cycle for stress/emotional eating. It's a tough one. If only we can get that memory of feeling awful afterwards to kick in a bit earlier, BEFORE we make the choice to eat. Or have a substitute thing ready. I am thinking about that one. Have something else ready that feels like an indulgence....maybe even tape a list of a few things to my fridge....hope the roommate situation is not as bad as you fear. You'll be home before you know it!

TODAY IS A BETTER DAY FULL OF GOOD CHOICES FOR MY HEALTH....

Ann (still 148)

2006-09-11 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities
KathieG: excellent job on the bike ride! I wouldn't beat yourself up about eating... the body needs to refuel... I know that I personally burn over 600 calories/hour while on the bike... It is necessary to get good carbs back in to "reload", and enough protein to "rebuild". Also, don't worry about this morning's weigh-in... if you hydrated properly during your portion of the HIM, you are probably still holding a bit more weight, anyhow... I know that it takes me a good day or two to get rid of fluids after a heavy training event.

Annabanana: Listening to your four year old read you a book was probably the most important thing that you did all weekend - way to take time out for the family! Life is all about balance.
2006-09-11 7:34 AM
in reply to: #535871

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
KathyG - 2006-09-10 9:01 PM

Scary stuff no workouts for 2 weeks....how do I eat then?

Honestly, you might shock yourself and lose weight. When I'm not working out a lot, I really cut back on the "white" carbs - no granola bars, no deli sandwiches, and I'll have tomato sauce with chicken instead of tomato sauce with spaghetti. That kind of stuff (pasta, bread, cornflakes) is high quality energy but not great nutrition.

I actually gained water weight from the HIM - I stopped at every aid station, which was probably way too much. I also sucked down about 10 gels - those babies were good!
2006-09-11 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greer, South Carolina
It’s been good for me to read all of your posts about your struggles with nutrition and getting all of your workouts in. Sometimes, I read about all people on this site are doing and I feel like a failure because I didn’t complete all of the workouts on my schedule for that week or I really blew my diet over the weekend. It is nice to hear that others struggle with many of the same issues that I do.

Overall, last week was a good week for me. I didn’t eat as well as I would have liked, but I did better than I had the past few weeks. I was also able to do more exercise without a lot of knee pain this week. I did all of the bike rides scheduled and even though they were on the trainer, I felt good about getting back in the swing of things. I was also able to mow the grass on Saturday, which is about 2 mile of walking. That may not sound like much, but that is the most I’ve been able to be up on my feet since my knee surgery 2 weeks ago. It was also good for my mental state. While my wife is certainly capable of mowing the grass, that has always been one of my jobs around the house and it made me feel a little helpless and useless to watch her doing “my” job. The other good news was that I weighed this morning and after gaining back up to 285 after my surgery, I was down to 283 this morning.

Good luck to all of you as we start a new week. It sounds like many of you have a lot going on this week, but just hang in there. Take it 1 meal and 1 workout at a time and don’t let one slip up pull you down.

Scott
2006-09-11 8:08 AM
in reply to: #535673

Regular
enders_shadow - 2006-09-10 4:44 PM

Hey all -

Hope you're getting all of the "stay out of the junk food" vibes I'm sending out to you. I'm struggling right along with ya - I forgot to mention that I'm a huge stress monkey which totally whacks my diet, and right now I'm pretty overwhelmed at work, so my eating is not so great.

Anyway, I better get back to work on my stuff, but I wanted to check in.

ES

Vibe musta worked for me. Actually skipped the morning soda pop for the forst time in a week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/10 Rss Feed  

of 5