General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zwift Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-11 6:18 PM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Zwift
I haven't really seen it talked about on this site (I lurk). But I'm a father of 1; 2 months away from being a father of two. And my biggest fear was not being able to get my rides in next summer to reach my goals.

I've been searching all winter for tips or different things I can do... and then I stumbled upon Zwift.

I hate my trainer, absolutely despise it. I need a place to go, point a to point b and zwift solves it.

I've done a test ride and a group ride yesterday. And I honestly can't wait to do another group ride tomorrow morning.

Anyone else on there? Any tri groups people ride with? Love to hear anything people know about it.

I've seen rumors of zwift for running coming soon - can't wait.

2016-12-11 7:49 PM
in reply to: #5207282

Subject: RE: Zwift
I ride on there but use it in combination with TrainerRoad. Zwift is much better with a smart trainer and do the group rides but most of the rides dont work for me time wise.

Personally if I had to use just one it would be TR for the actual targeted workouts but both together make a grat combo.
2016-12-11 8:37 PM
in reply to: kmonie360

I just started using it a couple months ago, they've got a Strava Premium deal going on. I believe it certainly has a place in training. The races are quite difficult and force you into some uncomfortable efforts that you just won't get from Trainer Road. It's similar to the efforts of a really hard group ride, except that it is more relentless and there is no place to hide. But at least when you get dropped, you're not miles away and by yourself.

If I had to chose between the two, I'd probably chose Zwift b/c the demands of those bike races match better what I want to do on a bike. But it's not going to be true for everyone, especially the folks on this board. They do have some training plans and workouts but I haven't spent any time looking at them.

That said, the code isn't perfect, you don't get the same draft benefit you would get in real life so it's a much harder challenge to stay with the group than it is in real life. I also feel like it doesn't back off as much in between efforts and the starts are full gas from the very beginning. Absolutely zero building up to it. But things being harder isn't a bad thing when it comes to training.
2016-12-11 11:26 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

I use Zwift as I've been driven indoors due to the cold weather her. There is also plans to have a running version released soon, all you will need is a footpod to measure your cadence and speed. I believe that it is currently available on iOS, but I don't own an apple product so I can 100% confirm. But as soon as the PC version releases I will be using this for indoor training for Tri's for the 2017 season.
2016-12-12 8:48 PM
in reply to: citiznkain

Originally posted by citiznkain

I use Zwift as I've been driven indoors due to the cold weather her. There is also plans to have a running version released soon, all you will need is a footpod to measure your cadence and speed. I believe that it is currently available on iOS, but I don't own an apple product so I can 100% confirm. But as soon as the PC version releases I will be using this for indoor training for Tri's for the 2017 season.

I saw some avatar running along the road near the finish banner tonight. I wasn't sure if that was the running app or some Froome mod.

2016-12-13 2:36 PM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Fat bikes are a great way to enjoy riding outside in the gold, get in a good workout, keep the motivation going, and has a novelty factor.

Zwift and all these simulators are great, but it takes away a lot of what makes a cyclists great and that is riding a moving bicycle forward. Fat bikes are far cheaper then your tri bike as well.

2016-12-13 2:38 PM
in reply to: Ericallenboyd

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by Ericallenboyd

I ride on there but use it in combination with TrainerRoad. Zwift is much better with a smart trainer and do the group rides but most of the rides dont work for me time wise.

Personally if I had to use just one it would be TR for the actual targeted workouts but both together make a grat combo.

x2, although for me, tr is a more focused workout.

that being said, if it gets you on the bike in these colder months, have at it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zwift Rss Feed