Run Racing
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 04m 52s
Overall Rank = 880/4732
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 38/101
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and made a toastie. Ate it and chased with banana and apple sauce. Drank half glass of Zippfizz. Changed into race clothes and foam rolled to warmup leg muscles. Carefully applied KT Tape around right knee.
Event warmup:

Got to race site and had to take a dump right away. Decided to use the portapotty in the parking lot near the entrance. Line didn't look long but took a while to get in (20 minutes). Finished pooping and picked up my bib and strapped on race belt. Dynamic warmup before the national anthem.
Run
  • 2h 04m 52s
  • 13.16 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Seeing that I've been battling patella tendonitis on my right knee the past couple weeks and not running at all since last Sunday I decided to go conservative and start with the 2:20 group. My HR was already in upper Z3 but my breathing felt upper Z2. This may be due to adrenaline because the weather was cool and overcast with slight drizzle.

HR climbed to Z4 as we started climbing the gentle hills. Kept my breathing deep and slow. Kept my pace as easy as possible and told myself to be patient and watch HR but pay close attention to breathing.

Just past 5K into the race I was was close to the 2:20 pacer and was feeling good. Only experienced minor soreness in right knee so I made a move to catch the 2:15 pacer patiently. At slightly past the 10K mark I caught the 2:15 pacer and chatted with a fellow triathlete. Had a few laughs and at mile 7 (or 8?) I took in some water and ate a Clif Shot Blok and upped my pace to catch the 2:10 pacer.

There were some downhills where I leaned forward at my hips and increased my cadence to compensate as I did not want to apply brakes. Caught and passed the 2:10 pacer at around mile 9.5. My breathing was still good (harder but controlled). I didn't bother paying attention to my HR because it was really high (above Z4). My breathing was heavy but controlled even when ascending the hills. Legs felt strong and at mile 10 I increased pace to threshold effort breathing.

No blister problems until now, ughh... there was one forming at the ball of my left foot towards the right side of it. Not enough to slow my pace. Kept my focus on being patient, good form, good breathing. At mile 12 I felt my breathing go really deep and hard. I was really going for a strong finish and I did it! The 2:05 pacer did not exist, hehehe! The RD/announcer was so nice to call me the 2:05 on the dot finisher. That was awesome to hear at the finish line. :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Hydration and nutrition caused no problems. Alternated between Clif Shot Bloks and Infinit every 10 minutes at 1 hour mark onward.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched. Drank Endurox R4 and ate banana. Had to poop again. Stretched some more and got a nice 5 minute massage. My masseuse used a rolling pin and went real deep into my calves as requested. Drank a Michelob Ultra and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Patella tendonitis.

Event comments:

This is a really well run race. The band playing despite the drizzling all morning was a nice treat.

Last updated: 2016-12-09 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:52 | 13.16 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/101
Overall: 875/4732
Performance: Good
Course: 1 loop from Fairplex to Bonelli Park back to Fairplex. Rollers with some flat sections.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-12-12 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Holiday Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Holiday Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Holiday Half Marathon

Started by joeyk
Views: 1059 Posts: 1

2011-12-11 7:29 PM joeyk

Holiday Half Marathon

Started by monster7041
Views: 967 Posts: 1

2010-12-16 11:25 AM monster7041

Holiday Half Marathon

Started by kirih
Views: 1132 Posts: 1

2010-12-13 7:59 PM kirih

Holiday Half Marathon

Started by auburn365
Views: 1169 Posts: 1

2010-12-11 1:07 PM auburn365

Holiday Half Marathon

Started by McDuff
Views: 1161 Posts: 1

2007-12-08 1:53 PM McDuff
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.