BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-03 10:56 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
2017 goals - these are a work in progress, but this is what I have so far:

1) Complete at least 3 triathlons
2) Train more consistently...once I'm doing actual tri training, I want to bike at least 2 times a week, run and swim at least 3.
3) Track my SBR workouts. My Garmin watch typically does this but I haven't paid much attention before.
4) Journal and meditate every day - My journal will be focused on my fitness and things for which I am grateful.
5) Lose at least 10 lbs and keep it off! Continue eating clean until it is part of my lifestyle

2017-01-03 12:15 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome back, Nicole!  Good to keep Bawlmer represented!

2017-01-03 12:16 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hopefully Alan will rejoin the group this year, but in the meantime he's got some great information on his blog:

http://humanpowerperformance.com/category/blog/

2017-01-03 3:17 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by nicole14e 2017 goals - these are a work in progress, but this is what I have so far: 1) Complete at least 3 triathlons 2) Train more consistently...once I'm doing actual tri training, I want to bike at least 2 times a week, run and swim at least 3. 3) Track my SBR workouts. My Garmin watch typically does this but I haven't paid much attention before. 4) Journal and meditate every day - My journal will be focused on my fitness and things for which I am grateful. 5) Lose at least 10 lbs and keep it off! Continue eating clean until it is part of my lifestyle

My Garmin syncs automatically to BT.  Once the workout gets from the watch to Garmin connect, it immediately goes to BT.

2017-01-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by nicole14e 2017 goals - these are a work in progress, but this is what I have so far: 1) Complete at least 3 triathlons 2) Train more consistently...once I'm doing actual tri training, I want to bike at least 2 times a week, run and swim at least 3. 3) Track my SBR workouts. My Garmin watch typically does this but I haven't paid much attention before. 4) Journal and meditate every day - My journal will be focused on my fitness and things for which I am grateful. 5) Lose at least 10 lbs and keep it off! Continue eating clean until it is part of my lifestyle

My Garmin syncs automatically to BT.  Once the workout gets from the watch to Garmin connect, it immediately goes to BT.

I track EVERYTHING here on BT, including strength straining and other non-SBR workouts.  It's relatively easy to move the Garmin stuff over like Doug said, and then I edit those files and add comments or links to the relevant details in TrainerRoad (for trainer workouts), Garmin Connect (for swims), or Strava (for outdoor runs and rides).

I go back like 5 1/2 years.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2017-01-03 3:41 PM
2017-01-04 8:08 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hit masters swimming this morning. The college team is gearing up for a big meet, so we only had two lanes. It is hard to juggle all those different swim speeds in one lane! I think we had six people (normally 2-3 per lane here). Ran last night, five miles around the local lake with the pup. Once again, I didn't check the weather before I left and about half way through the wind picked up and blew in a cold front. Temp dropped 10 degrees while I was running. Brrr!!!

Did everyone go back to work yesterday? How was it? Survive? I came back in even though the semester doesn't start for two more weeks. I'm actually on sabbatical this semester, so I don't teach at all--just research. Not sure what to do with myself, as this is the first time I've ever had a sabbatical. I'm excited to see what I can get done!

2017-01-04 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hit masters swimming this morning. The college team is gearing up for a big meet, so we only had two lanes. It is hard to juggle all those different swim speeds in one lane! I think we had six people (normally 2-3 per lane here). Ran last night, five miles around the local lake with the pup. Once again, I didn't check the weather before I left and about half way through the wind picked up and blew in a cold front. Temp dropped 10 degrees while I was running. Brrr!!! Did everyone go back to work yesterday? How was it? Survive? I came back in even though the semester doesn't start for two more weeks. I'm actually on sabbatical this semester, so I don't teach at all--just research. Not sure what to do with myself, as this is the first time I've ever had a sabbatical. I'm excited to see what I can get done!

My company was a ghost town from Dec 21st until today more or less.  I actually have calls today.    I think I should ask for hazard pay.

Heading to the pool later today to swim some.

2017-01-04 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

If you don't mind another Nicole, I'd like to join

NAME: Nicole

STORY: I used to be big into scuba diving when one of my favorite diving buddies said she wanted to try a triathlon....another of the buddies said he'd try one too.  So that left two of us....and he "inherited" a bike from his dad, and I lost all my favorite diving buddies in one fell swoop and was peer pressured into getting a bike.  Turned out, I really liked biking and wasn't terrible at swimming.  I enjoyed my first triathlon, which was back in 2012.  Shortly after that, I got hit while I was out on a training ride and basically sat on the sidelines for a year, but managed to get things squared away.

Since then, I discovered that I quite like the HIM distance racing.  I think I was born without fast twitch muscles   I think I'd probably be pretty decent at IM distance, but I don't have the time to train adequately (imo) for it, so I'll hold off a bit longer and continue to focus on HIM distance.

FAMILY STATUS: Single with two dogs....they'll be 11 years old this year, so only walking for them these days

CURRENT TRAINING: Been in a base training mode for a month or so, after dealing with some late-season burn out....getting ready to start doing some HIM-focused training here in the next week or so

2016 RACES: Started last year in Pucon, Chile for a HIM -- most beautiful race ever!  Continued with a one mile, 10k, and 5k races, and a 40k TT, all of which I was pretty pleased with.  Then work got crazy for a few months....and finished the year off with Santa Cruz 70.3 and Austin 70.3 (or 69.1 if you want to subtract out the canceled swim distance!)

The Plan for 2017: Not fully decided yet, but I have a swim meet and 10k in February, Galveston 70.3 in April, a 40k TT in June....and then it starts to get questionable.  There will certainly be at least one more 70.3 in there

2017 GOALS: Stretch goal is to go sub-5 at Galveston 70.3 and qualify for 70.3 WC in Chattanooga.  Realistic goal is to work hard and continue to have fun!  I'm also looking to PR my 40k TT and be in the 60-61 minute range, and continue to improve my running

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Oh, where to start??  I'm a lush....

Wine: I'm a wine club member at more than a few wineries.  I moved to TX a few years ago and discovered that there is a thriving wine country here that is making fantastic wine!  I think my favorite is a really good rose....but it's hard to say when I drink a good red or white.  I like my wine to be no overly fruit-forward, have a bit of earth/minerality on it

Beer:  I love IPA's, sours, and have recently been getting into barrel-aged beers and interesting porters.  My favorite thing to do at bars or breweries is to get flights so I can try as many as possible, without having to commit to a hangover

WEIGHT LOSS: I'm trying to clean up my diet a little.  I'm definitely up a few pounds higher than I'd like to be, though haven't gotten on a scale to confirm it.  I'll do that on the 15th and then plan to weigh myself weekly after that to keep myself in check

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER:  Well, I can talk beer or wine for days   Oh, and I can talk about triathlons or training with a power meter as well!  I'm really excited about this year and looking forward to sharing it with the group

2017-01-04 1:24 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Welcome, Nicole!

2017-01-04 1:25 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Hit masters swim at lunch for #3.  Having a hard time getting going again, but I'll get there.

2017-01-04 1:31 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome, Nicole!

X2 - Welcome, Nicole!

2017-01-04 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I made it back to work yesterday after being off since the 23rd (though, unfortunately, not unplugged....).  It was like a Monday compounded on itself!  No, it wasn't too bad really, but it was a bit of a rude wake-up call for my morning trainer ride!

This morning had me in the pool for 3700m at masters practice.  We have three coaches who rotate and one is new (very fast swimmer, but new to coaching our masters group) and he immediately spotted something "weird" in my stroke and I've been working on fixing it.  He mentioned this morning that it's looking good and he noticed another thing he wants to tweak, so we'll start with that on Friday morning. 

I basically hated swimming all year last year....got slower as the year went on....so once race season ended, I took a full month off from swimming and came back in December with a much better attitude.  My swimming is getting back to where it was in 2015, so I'm excited about swimming now and dreaming of being back to where I was in 2014.

2017-01-04 4:14 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome, Nicole!

This afternoon's run was only motivated by knowledge of snow moving in overnight and my supreme desire to not run in that tomorrow morning. Slow, but #5 in the books!
2017-01-05 5:28 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in about 2K in the pool yesterday and some core work. Chiro appointment today.

2017-01-05 10:29 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I track EVERYTHING here on BT, including strength straining and other non-SBR workouts.  It's relatively easy to move the Garmin stuff over like Doug said, and then I edit those files and add comments or links to the relevant details in TrainerRoad (for trainer workouts), Garmin Connect (for swims), or Strava (for outdoor runs and rides).

Oh good, I didn't realize it does it automatically! I will have to look into that.

I also do a lot of non-SBR workouts, so will have to start putting those in as well.
2017-01-05 10:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome "other" Nicole (*gives side-eye*)

J/k :-) I know when we had two Dave's we used last initials to keep it straight. I will try to remember to add mine to my signature (it's E, like in my profile name).

I have done a few workouts this week. There is a class at the gym called Sprint. It's a HIIT cycling class. It's 30 minutes and pretty much crushed me. I did a core class afterwards but was pretty useless when we did leg stuff. If I already posted about that, I apologize. This week has been crazy.

Found out yesterday that I did not get a promotion I was hoping for, and instead it feels like a demotion b/c they are moving me into my old office which has a tiny desk (it's actually a credenza) and is obnoxiously small and annoying. It also doesn't have a window, and I've been loving not turning on my fluorescent lights. I left here pretty frustrated so instead of doing the boot camp I was planning on attending (I didn't want to be stuck in a tiny room with lots of people), I went on what can only be described as a rage run. It felt good though, much needed. I basically just ran two miles as fast as I could (which is not very fast right now since I haven't run since Thanksgiving Day) before my hip started bothering me. Then I drank some wine and watched Westworld (so good). Healthy coping mechanisms, right?

I have my lasik surgery tomorrow, so will not be able to do much in the next week. Only light workouts. Not even sure exactly what that means...but I will have to figure it out! Super excited for better eyesight though, so it will be worth it!

Edited by nicole14e 2017-01-05 10:59 AM

2017-01-05 11:32 AM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole E--sorry to hear about the non-promotion. Rage run and wine sounds like a totally healthy coping mechanism to me!!
2017-01-05 12:49 PM
in reply to: #5209145

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
First trainer ride of the year today. Man do I dislike that thing! New tv setup works great though. :D
2017-01-05 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e

Oh good, I didn't realize it does it automatically! I will have to look into that. I also do a lot of non-SBR workouts, so will have to start putting those in as well.

I think you have to activate/enable it through BT here on the website somewhere.

2017-01-05 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Nicole E--sorry to hear about the non-promotion. Rage run and wine sounds like a totally healthy coping mechanism to me!!

X2!!!  That sounds totally healthy to me!

Bummer on the promotion - maybe something better will come along.

2017-01-06 7:59 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Oh good, I didn't realize it does it automatically! I will have to look into that. I also do a lot of non-SBR workouts, so will have to start putting those in as well.

I think you have to activate/enable it through BT here on the website somewhere.

Don't you also have to be a paying member for the auto upload? I think that is one of the benefits paying members get over non-paying, but I've never investigated it deeply, as I like manually entering my workouts. It gives me a sense of accomplishment.

2017-01-06 8:03 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Coach is away, so masters swim is a little bit of a cluster lately. Ended up getting in a pretty good workout of my own design, but it took a lot to convince my lanemates to do the workout with me.

I'm on day four of Whole30, that day which is titled "Kill All the Things" in the what to expect guide. So far, so good with the program in general. It is a lot of planning, preparing, and cooking, but so far I've not experienced any of the negative consequences the book outlines and the food is delicious (a credit to their recipes, not my cooking skills).
2017-01-06 8:18 AM

User image

Go here to configure the Garmin upload to BT.  It is a free feature.

2017-01-06 10:03 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Owell.

Don't you also have to be a paying member for the auto upload? I think that is one of the benefits paying members get over non-paying, but I've never investigated it deeply, as I like manually entering my workouts. It gives me a sense of accomplishment.

You don't have to be a paying member. I don't pay for anything but have BT linked up to my Garmin Connect and it all flows seamlessly to BT, Strava, MayMyRun, Training Peaks, etc. Soooooo thankful for this. Even if I input a weight session into one of them, it all flows downhill and populates the other sites. huge time-saver.
2017-01-06 10:04 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by ligersandtions

If you don't mind another Nicole, I'd like to join

Welcome, Nicole!!! I look forward to your experienced input!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38978 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.