BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-03 6:16 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by amd723

ok cyclists, I've got a bike gearing question.  I understand that I have a 12-25 cassette on my P2.  Looking at posts on the IM Louisville FB page there is a discussion that most people use 11-28.  Other than knowing what the numbers represent, I don't really know how one or the other would be a benefit or  detriment for a hilly route.  Any advice and education is appreciated!

The route has changed significantly since when I did it, so may be more limited in help. Lisa has done it too, possibly on the new route, but can't remember. Think I saw it might be a little harder now, so it's probably a good idea for you especially given where you're coming from.

Gearing is really the ratio between the front (the chainring size) and the back (the cassette, what's listed). The bigger the ratio, the higher the speed you'll be at when using it (front size divided by back). A lot of people get lazy and only state the cassette size. Double check the chainring size too. It's probably something like 50/34 or 52/36, but you want to be sure. I'm still on a 53/39 and often raced with a 54/42. It's a pretty big difference that could notably change what cassette I ran.

For a hilly course, the more important part is the lower end, which is the 25 vs 28. You really want enough gear to get up the hills without mashing. That can really drain your legs. Might only notice some on the bike, but it'll really show up on the run. The 12 vs 11 on the fast end of things should matter very little at most. You should be able to spin that up past 30 mph in which case I'd guess you might start coasting soon anyway? Otherwise you just don't go quite as fast for that brief time period.

Something to note with changing cassettes is that the gap between gears can get larger or smaller. The faster half (roughly) tends to be about the same, but somewhere in the middle to lower half the gaps could get a little larger with each gear shift, depending on exactly what sizes the manufacturer put in. Is your bike 10 or 11 speed? The gaps will increase with either, but will be a little more noticeable if still with 10 spd. This used to annoy me some, but now I really don't notice as I can put out power better at a wider cadence range.

I have a 50/34T compact crank, 10 speed.

2017-01-03 6:45 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by StaceyK Kristen over in the old thread you asked about the rewards system that someone had. I believe it was Mary S that initially set it up to reward herself for doing her strength work. She doesn't drop into the manatees very often anymore because of the vision issues from her concussion but she generally still posts in her training log each day so if you send her a message or and inspire I am sure she will answer you. Laffinrock is her user name.

I was thinking that it was from a JoGo challenge.  Mary S makes more sense though.

Judi thought it was her, and I kinda did too.  Couldn't find anything on her blog though.  I distinctly remember that there were points for a windy bike or running in the rain.  It is kind funny/stoopid....I am being lazy and not wanting to make up my own points system to keep myself motivated!!! LOL. 

Happy New Year all.  We went to our traditional NYE movie.  The weather here was awesome/awful.  Big dump of snow all day.  Roads were a bit hairy driving to the movie, not bad back.  I shoveled 3x yesterday, I think we got about 5 inches.  Unusual for around here!  My snow pile is as high as the weeping birch branches hang down....  Anyway, at midnight walked down to our neighbors as he always sets off fireworks.  Hang out for 10-15 min, then head in to bed.  We aren't real big partiers!

I don't think that Mary S's had points for weather or anything like that just rewards for when she did so many sessions, or ran certain distances and things like that.

If I have time I'll go through the various JoGo Challenges.  At least it should be near the beginning of a thread!

2017-01-03 6:50 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner Anyone have experience (hearsay is fine) on IMMD?

I am not doing MD for several reasons

• hotels few and far between (and pricey)
  • you can't get there from here
  • it was deemed not sherpa friendly
  • flat bike and run and reputation for choppy swim (it is in the Choptank, after all!)
  • it has a poor record of actually occurring (50% since WTC took it over and moved the date)

Sue may have more to add.

Come and do Lou with us!  Manatee Mayhem!

For those who have not been following along, Anne, Ann-Marie, and I have all registered for Louisville.

2017-01-03 6:52 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black NAME: Sean aka Jetson OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: seanmichael2108 on instagram, haven't posted much lately STORY: high school basketball player. got fat in my 20s. lost weight when my first was born, lifting weights and playing basketball. volunteered through my church at a local triathlon in late 2014. loved what I saw, it got my competitive juices flowing and I went on a training run the next day. haven't gotten bored with it yet. FAMILY STATUS: Married to JoDee (who's now a runner), father to Carson (6) and Cooper (4) and dog father to Jet (10). CURRENT TRAINING: Currently focusing my my run with barryp type of training. got my mileage up over 50 mpw now. Bike training I use trainerroad. swim training I swim with a masters team. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Galveston 70.3, Texas State Time Trial champs, hopefully a bunch of running races, and smaller local tris throughout the year. Also signed up for the Leadville 100 mtb lottery so may be doing that late summer. Otherwise I'll be running my legs off all year trying to get more competitive (run is my big weakness) GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: My goal is to podium at an Ironman branded 70.3. Probably won't happen this year, but I'll keep working at it. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I do dumb stuff like sign up for Leadville?

Love this!  Wait, are you calling us dumb?!

2017-01-03 6:56 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

ok cyclists, I've got a bike gearing question.  I understand that I have a 12-25 cassette on my P2.  Looking at posts on the IM Louisville FB page there is a discussion that most people use 11-28.  Other than knowing what the numbers represent, I don't really know how one or the other would be a benefit or  detriment for a hilly route.  Any advice and education is appreciated!

The 12 is what use when you are doing flat stuff and going fast.  The 25/27/28 is what you use to spin up hills.  You'll probably want a different cassette.  I expect that your P2 already has a compact crank.

2017-01-03 6:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

NAME: Ben

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I'm on in a few places, but not many. Tend to not like checking 18 places for slightly different info.

STORY: I'm a lifelong athlete who has been involved with numerous sports. Lots of soccer & basketball growing up along with just being in the outdoors on trails, biking, or on the water. Decided not to play anything in college as things would have turned into another job, losing the fun. Picked up on weight lifting in college, but tired of just lifting bigger stacks all the time. Got back into running & riding more until a friend decided to give triathlon a shot. Backed down on tri recently, but still running & riding. Looking forward to this year after being held way back by injury last year.

FAMILY STATUS: Single. No pets at this time.

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running and riding. XC skiing when there is actually snow. Swimming a little bit with masters to work my shoulder, but likely stopping soon.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Nothing definite, but lots of possibilities. By not doing MDOT events it's not necessary to know so far ahead!

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Fun, exploration, health.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Been in the group for a few years now and still don't understand it.

haha! So you'll keep on coming back until you "get it" :-D

2017-01-03 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by rrrunner Anyone have experience (hearsay is fine) on IMMD?

It is one of the races I looked at - supposed to be a good course for 1st timers and PRs.  But, apparently, they moved the date later by 2 weeks a couple of years ago and have had weather issues.

Heres a slowtwitch thread on the topic.

Yeah, I watched the video which showed a cancelled swim and running through mid shin water on the marathon.

Think the date move was when MDOT picked it up.

The "good for first timers" marketing note is because it's really flat. That may or may not be a good thing as that can also mean really boring with nothing changing and no downhill breaks.

And it can be really windy and there is nothing to break the wind.

2017-01-03 7:02 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tomsimper Hi My name is Tom and I did my first sprint triathlon last year and loved it. Found the support from this group amazing so have come back for more. Have decided to do a sprint, olympic distance and 70.3 next year so bring on the training. I am 40 in march, married with two small children and live near Mancheser in England.

Welcome back Tom! 

When you have a chance, can you fill out the bio form at the top of the thread?

2017-01-03 7:03 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back Sean, Makus, Ben, and Tom S!

2017-01-03 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

The 12 is what use when you are doing flat stuff and going fast.  The 25/27/28 is what you use to spin up hills.  You'll probably want a different cassette.  I expect that your P2 already has a compact crank.

So, how easy is it to get a new cassette?!
2017-01-03 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Not an i$$ue at all. Manufacturer matters. As a general statement, if you are running Shimano, stick to Shimano. Campy=Campy and so on.  Would you be doing the change or is this going to the LBS? It is a fairly simple change with the right tools. And fairly easy to find them. Here is an example of a Shimano Ultegra 10 speed in a variety of options - https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-CS-6700-Ultegra-Cassette-10-Speed/dp/B003933G06

I don't know if that is compatible with what you are running, it is just an example. 

Related question, are you training at Clermont a bit this spring?

2017-01-03 7:35 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Not an i$$ue at all. Manufacturer matters. As a general statement, if you are running Shimano, stick to Shimano. Campy=Campy and so on.  Would you be doing the change or is this going to the LBS? It is a fairly simple change with the right tools. And fairly easy to find them. Here is an example of a Shimano Ultegra 10 speed in a variety of options - https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-CS-6700-Ultegra-Cassette-10-Speed/dp/B003933G06

I don't know if that is compatible with what you are running, it is just an example. 

I am not good at tuning the bike so I would take it to my LBS and have them change the cassette and tune it up.  That's just me though.

2017-01-03 7:37 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by cdban66

Your example is exactly what I've got!Once I can start really biking, I will spend quality time in clermont!
2017-01-03 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Well this was confusing. I couldn't get to the new page with my phone.

I wanna still be in the pod. I just ran out of time to introduce myself. I'll do that this afternoon.

2017-01-03 8:18 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So, are you allowed to come back after a two-year hiatus?? 

Hey, everyone.  Hope you all are doing well!!

2017-01-03 8:23 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Well this was confusing. I couldn't get to the new page with my phone.

I wanna still be in the pod. I just ran out of time to introduce myself. I'll do that this afternoon.

I'm glad that you made it to the Pod!

Are you back home now?  Or are you in FL?  S

2017-01-03 8:25 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Welcome back!  You know the whole Once A Manatee, Always A Manatee saying!  Of course you are in! Just remember that inactive Manatees make us sad so please post early and often.  (And post a bio when you have a chance.)

2017-01-03 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome back!  You know the whole Once A Manatee, Always A Manatee saying!  Of course you are in! Just remember that inactive Manatees make us sad so please post early and often.  (And post a bio when you have a chance.)

Whew!! Thought I was going to have to grovel a little bit!! 

2017-01-03 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Well, maybe update your training blog so it doesn't say 2014 and 2015 anymore.

2017-01-03 9:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

My info (in a funny font to keep in the spirit of those above):

NAME: Mike, from just outside Baltimore, MD

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: jmhpsu93 "on the FBs" as my wife likes to call it, https://www.strava.com/athletes/2066322 on Strava

STORY: Weekend warrior "athlete" for forever (softball, basketball, flag football, volleyball, soccer -indoors and out), became a pretty decent beach volleyball player in my early to mid 20s - just good enough to get smoked by the lower level local pros. Ran cross country and track in high school, kept running to stay in shape through my 20s and 30s once the weekend warrior thing ended.

I signed up for a half marathon to lose weight in 2007, and I've been hooked ever since. I have 5 HMs and about ten tris under my belt, and I actually get to MOP when I can stay healthy and train (see below).

FAMILY STATUS: Wife of 15 years and daughter of 14 (yes, the math works out ). I used to swim with my daughter, but now she breaks a minute in the pool at the 100, so that ship has sailed...).

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been dealing with a back injury for about five years now off and on, and it's become more on lately, so my surgeon and I are working on what to do next (likely fusion). Up until this latest flare-up I had been doing 10 mpw running and about 3-4 hrs/week on the trainer plus some occasional swims, now it's just some swimming and a little trainer work.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: No events scheduled - we'll see how the next month goes.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I found this group to be extremely supportive and everyone comes from a different background and there is TONS of experience here. Goal for the year...GET HEALTHY!

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: 'Cause it's cool. In all seriousness, I found I was at my best when training and sharing with others, both the successes and failures.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2017-01-03 9:28 AM
2017-01-03 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Just hangin' on to the past. 

2017-01-03 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: jmhpsu93 "on the FBs" as my wife likes to call it

STORY: Weekend warrior "athlete" for forever (softball, basketball, flag football, volleyball, soccer -indoors and out), became a pretty decent beach volleyball player in my early to mid 20s - just good enough to get smoked by the lower level local pros. Ran cross country and track in high school, kept running to stay in shape through my 20s and 30s once the weekend warrior thing ended.

I signed up for a half marathon to lose weight in 2007, and I've been hooked ever since. I have 5 HMs and about ten tris under my belt, and I actually get to MOP when I can stay healthy and train (see below).

FAMILY STATUS: Wife of 15 years and daughter of 14 (yes, the math works out ). I used to swim with my daughter, but now she breaks a minute in the pool at the 100, so that ship has sailed...).

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been dealing with a back injury for about five years now off and on, and it's become more on lately, so my surgeon and I are working on what to do next (likely fusion). Up until this latest flare-up I had been doing 10 mpw running and about 3-4 hrs/week on the trainer plus some occasional swims, now it's just some swimming and a little trainer work.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: No events scheduled - we'll see how the next month goes.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I found this group to be extremely supportive and everyone comes from a different background and there is TONS of experience here. Goal for the year...GET HEALTHY!

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: 'Cause it's cool. In all seriousness, I found I was at my best when training and sharing with others, both the successes and failures.

I'm so sorry to hear that your back has flared up again. Please keep us posted.

P.S. Are you hidden on FB?  I can't find you there.  (if hidden from search engines is checked, it really really hides you)

2017-01-03 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Just hangin' on to the past. 

Hahaha!

I think that this time of year we ware supposed to be saying things like, The Best Is Yet To Come and You did not wake up today to be mediocre!

30 Free Inspirational Quotes to Help You Kill It This Year

2017-01-03 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: jmhpsu93 "on the FBs" as my wife likes to call it

I'm so sorry to hear that your back has flared up again. Please keep us posted.

P.S. Are you hidden on FB?  I can't find you there.  (if hidden from search engines is checked, it really really hides you)

Just sent you a friend request.  I'm not that active on the FBs but I do check it regularly.

2017-01-03 9:19 AM
in reply to: abake

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by abake

Originally posted by abake CURRENT TRAINING: I used a Training Peaks coach and am mostly in base building for some spring gravel races and a half maraton  

What gravel races do you know of? Trying to find some for myself and my brother that are closer by. Seems many are at least hours away or farther, likely needing an overnight stay. Hard for him with a rather young family.

Agree, our entire county has maybe 3 gravel roads, so I have to drive at least half an hour to put together a good gravel ride. There is the Rough Road 100 http://www.roughroad100.com/in April that might be close enough to allow driving. I'm going to try to make it to this race. I don't know how far you are from the IL/IA border, but there seem to be a lot of B roads in Iowa. Other than that, we have to drive to Missouri -- down in the Katy Trail area, which is a minimum 2 hour drive. There may be some in Wisconsin worth looking into.

Thanks! I'm in the northeast corner and he's up in Madison. Both him and his friends don't know of much in Wisconsin. Seems there isn't enough actual gravel roadway, more half & half with the chipseal!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102