Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2017-06-25 4:23 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Women Ready to Tri - OPEN
A good week is ending for me.
Monday: bike intervals on the stationary (30 min during my lunch break)
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: hills intervals (60 min including warm up and cool down)
Thursday. Commute to work. 19k each way, 45 minutes up and downhill
Friday: 10k slow run (7.30 min/km)
Saturday: strength training combined with long walk
Sunday: ows swimming (30 min)

Have a great Sunday girls!

2017-06-26 9:51 PM

User image

I did this ride around 5 p.m., it was the earliest I could get out with semi-bearable temps ( 85 degrees). Not a whole lot of hills ( closed loop convention center roads 2.8 miles one loop around) about 300 ft ascent. I had one peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and a granola bar with one gel to eat. I ate about every few miles. I was having issues with my hydration system, but aside from that I only drank water. I had about 40 ounces of water. I tried to eat consistently but that didn't always happen, if I was preoccupied with the traffic around me. I had one waffle and a gel and some wheat crackers, but that was it. I started getting dizzy if I stared down for more than a few seconds. I wasn't trying to dig myself in a hole, but I ran out of food and still felt like I was starving.
2017-06-27 8:10 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

Originally posted by Rollergirl

How's the water temperature there? I'm originally from Denmark and recall spending the "summers" in pretty darn cold water!
2017-06-28 1:37 AM
in reply to: Trine

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by Trine

Originally posted by Rollergirl

How's the water temperature there? I'm originally from Denmark and recall spending the "summers" in pretty darn cold water!

The water temperature? well, pretty darn cold! LOL. I don't have a thermometer so I don't know exactly but I needed my wetsuit and it felt cold on feet hands and face at the beginning. When I did my first sprint this year, in another lake, they said the temperature was 20C (I assume you understand celcius, coming from Denmark), which was fine but this lake is bigger and colder and it hasn't been very warm since then, so I'd say 17 maybe? (that's low 60s in F for the others).
I like the way you say "Summers". I know what you mean, LOL! luckily I am originally from the South of France and visit my family there in the summers to stock up on sun!

2017-06-28 12:22 PM
in reply to: anime_lover1992

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

How hard were you riding?  What do you use to make sure you're riding at the right intensity level (HR, RPE, power)?  Cramping is often due to pushing harder than your fitness level will allow, so you may want to try to go easier than you think you need to, eat and drink a couple hundred calories per hour, and keeping track of how you feel throughout. 

You can take in more on the bike than you can on the run, so make sure you're eating and drinking enough on the bike, and then do what you can on the run.  For both, go easier than you think you need to....until the last third of the run or so -- then you can give it all you have left.

2017-07-01 7:53 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thoughts in my head during the first half of my 8k run this morning: "I could do an Olympic distance triathlon, yeah, no worries, just have to train more. Yeah, I'll do one before I'm 50, that's decided. In 2019, I will do the olympic at Växjö triathlon. Yeah. I should start swimming more already, the swim is much longer. Then later I will add more running and more cycling. It's only double the distances I do now and I have plenty of time. Yeah I can do that, no worries...

Thoughts in my head at the end of the 8km: eeeerrrrr, no.

Thoughts in my head 5 minutes after the run... well, maybe....

2017-07-01 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thoughts in my head during the first half of my 8k run this morning: "I could do an Olympic distance triathlon, yeah, no worries, just have to train more. Yeah, I'll do one before I'm 50, that's decided. In 2019, I will do the olympic at Växjö triathlon. Yeah. I should start swimming more already, the swim is much longer. Then later I will add more running and more cycling. It's only double the distances I do now and I have plenty of time. Yeah I can do that, no worries... Thoughts in my head at the end of the 8km: eeeerrrrr, no. Thoughts in my head 5 minutes after the run... well, maybe....

Yep, that sounds about right!  For what it's worth, I absolutely think you can do an Olympic distance!

A few weeks a go, my coach put a 4:30 ride on my schedule.  I'm training for a 70.3 distance race, so the bike leg should take somewhere around 2:30....which means 4:30 is really long!  Made even longer by the oppressive heat and humidity in Houston.  I made it 2:30 in and was feeling alright and then I hit the wall.....40 minutes of fighting a brutal headwind and my mind and legs were absolutely over it.  I thought to myself, "See, this is why you don't sign up for an Ironman.  Ironman training would be dumb.  You need to remember this feeling if you ever get the itch to sign up for one, because it would be dumb....and this wouldn't even be a long ride for Ironman training."  And then I turned around and got a tailwind and life was better again....finished strong and though, "Maybe I could do one...."  Luckily I don't have the Ironman itch....and if I ever do, I'll have to sign up for one in the Southern Hemisphere because I do NOT want to be doing super long rides and runs in the middle of Houston summers!

2017-07-01 3:21 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thoughts in my head during the first half of my 8k run this morning: "I could do an Olympic distance triathlon, yeah, no worries, just have to train more. Yeah, I'll do one before I'm 50, that's decided. In 2019, I will do the olympic at Växjö triathlon. Yeah. I should start swimming more already, the swim is much longer. Then later I will add more running and more cycling. It's only double the distances I do now and I have plenty of time. Yeah I can do that, no worries... Thoughts in my head at the end of the 8km: eeeerrrrr, no. Thoughts in my head 5 minutes after the run... well, maybe....

Yep, that sounds about right!  For what it's worth, I absolutely think you can do an Olympic distance!

A few weeks a go, my coach put a 4:30 ride on my schedule.  I'm training for a 70.3 distance race, so the bike leg should take somewhere around 2:30....which means 4:30 is really long!  Made even longer by the oppressive heat and humidity in Houston.  I made it 2:30 in and was feeling alright and then I hit the wall.....40 minutes of fighting a brutal headwind and my mind and legs were absolutely over it.  I thought to myself, "See, this is why you don't sign up for an Ironman.  Ironman training would be dumb.  You need to remember this feeling if you ever get the itch to sign up for one, because it would be dumb....and this wouldn't even be a long ride for Ironman training."  And then I turned around and got a tailwind and life was better again....finished strong and though, "Maybe I could do one...."  Luckily I don't have the Ironman itch....and if I ever do, I'll have to sign up for one in the Southern Hemisphere because I do NOT want to be doing super long rides and runs in the middle of Houston summers!

Sounds like you are well on your way to get the ironman itch....
2017-07-26 2:26 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hello Girls! It's quiet round here, guess you are all busy training!

Came back on Sunday from a 10 Days vacation in France where I managed to keep going every day so I wouldn't lose momentum with my training and since I've been back, I have started training properly again.

I am at work this week, so less time to train but the Days are still long and today I came to work on my bike (not very long (17k) but I went fast instead).

Thinking more and more about taking the plunge and doing an Oly one day (next year or the following one). that would be a heck of a challenge for me...

How are you all doing?
2017-07-27 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I went down pretty hard on my bike almost three weeks ago (a dog got out of its fence and bee-lined toward me from only a few feet away -- I knew if I ran it over, I was going down, so I tried to swerve around it and still went down).  Was a pretty miserable couple weeks, but I was able to get back into some light training about five days later.  As of this week, I'm finally pain-free (still some minor discomfort in my ribs, but not what I'd consider pain) and was able to get back into real training.

I'm headed out to TX Hill (wine) Country with some girlfriends this weekend so we'll be doing a bit of swimming, a LOT of biking, and a long run....plus a few wine tasting appointments.  Very much looking forward to getting away for the weekend

Hope everyone else is doing well with training and racing.  It's been quiet in here.....maybe we can get things restarted! 

2017-07-28 6:18 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
ouch! glad it was not too serious. I hope you kicked the dog... no, I hope you kicked its owner after that!

Enjoy the wine tasting!

2017-10-05 11:22 AM
in reply to: Kate Elliott

User image

Is this group still open? My name is Mel and I am interested in doing my first half-ironman! I'm looking for a mentor and a support group to help throughout my training. I'm a 32 year old mother of 2 (a 5 year old boy and 9 month old girl), working full time as an animal trainer! I've done a few marathons, although my time was the 6-hour mark for almost all of them. I have a lot of questions and am hoping this group is still open. Have a great day!
2017-10-05 12:42 PM
in reply to: dueeast9

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by dueeast9 Is this group still open? My name is Mel and I am interested in doing my first half-ironman! I'm looking for a mentor and a support group to help throughout my training. I'm a 32 year old mother of 2 (a 5 year old boy and 9 month old girl), working full time as an animal trainer! I've done a few marathons, although my time was the 6-hour mark for almost all of them. I have a lot of questions and am hoping this group is still open. Have a great day!

Which HIM are you looking at and when?  What's your training been like recently?  How's your swimming and biking?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Women Ready to Tri - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22

Started by Dominion
Views: 27697 Posts: 534

2017-12-27 3:42 PM Dominion

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41230 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38366 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : July 26, 2012
author : juliapurr
comments : 2
Learn what to do and what not to do during your taper. Learn how to taper best if you have multiple races on your schedule.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I'm not sure if one of these models is better, both are from 2009 aluminum/carbon combinations. I realize this is a difficult question but any thoughts as which bike is better for a woman?
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.