Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Women Ready to Tri - OPEN

Chamois cream is your friend!  Apply liberally....and then apply a little more

2017-05-02 9:05 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Thanks Nicole. I started the Barry P program today. Using the heart rate monitor as well to keep myself in check.

I am coming off a fairly bad quad pull/strain during training for a half mary, which I won't be doing. It took about 6 weeks but totally pain free now and feeling good. So I will begin again as they say! But glad I shut down the training and avoided any real structural problems.

I'll check back in as a continue with the Barry P program - I appreciate your input on it )

Congrats on your race!
2017-05-02 12:29 PM
in reply to: hilltackler

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Glad to hear you're giving BarryP a shot!  I'm excited to follow along in your journey and see how you like it.  Hopefully, coming off the recent injury, you're starting with really low volume -- 10/20/30 minute runs would be a great place to start!

2017-05-18 4:19 PM
in reply to: hilltackler

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Should be about two weeks in -- how's the BarryP program treating you?

2017-06-01 10:50 AM

User image

I wondered if you were able to look at my training logs for the past two months and see what you think. I have slacked off on my running, because I was so worried about my swim times for a sprint triathlon I did May 21st. I came second in my age group by the way .
Thanks
2017-06-01 4:25 PM
in reply to: anime_lover1992

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by anime_lover1992 I wondered if you were able to look at my training logs for the past two months and see what you think. I have slacked off on my running, because I was so worried about my swim times for a sprint triathlon I did May 21st. I came second in my age group by the way . Thanks

That's great!  Congratulations!  You should think about writing a race report so you can go back and read it later and remember what you did well, what you want to change, and generally re-live it all over again.  It's also a great way to track progress over time.

I really like getting all my thoughts out there after a race.  I even go back and read them from time to time -- in fact, before Galveston 70.3 earlier this year, I read my race reports from the previous 70.3 distance races I did.

I'll take a peek through your training log from the last couple months, but before I dig in too deep, can you tell me if you're following a specific training plan?  How much are you willing to train and what are your goals for the rest of the season?

2017-06-01 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I also raced a sprint tri last weekend as well.  It was the first sprint I'd done in nearly two years....I forgot how fun (and painful!) they are!  I have my race report here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=547319&posts=3#M5221524 

Cliffs notes version: came out of the water 4th overall, put in a large gap on the field on the bike, and held on with a strong run to take the overall female win for the sprint distance race

X

2017-06-05 3:28 PM

User image

I am trying to be more diligent with the Barry P run program. I hardly felt any pain doing a 3.5 mile run ( cue the KT tape) when I actually ran with a friend and kept a conversation. I am trying to swim three times a week, but I am also house hunting so some mornings are kaput for that. I work 2nd shift, so a lot of my exercise is done in the evening.
I am doing a lot of trainer rides when it is very late at night, and the benefit is adjusting my thermostat to mimic 80+ degrees inside my house when I am training.
My swim I felt after reflecting on my first sprint tri was that I needed to add a lot more distance in the pool. So I swam straight for a little over an hour to get my 1.2 mile swim in, it was the first one I had done without any breaks . I also feel that getting a lot of easy miles will help me mentally for the race in July. I know that after my swim and bike I bonked, My hydration was good, but I should have drank 100+ oz a day several days before my race.

I needed about a four- five day break after that sprint because after day three a lot of fatigue and pain set in.
Long story short, I have been training since February for my July HIM. I may do an Olympic distance race in august, with a Half-Marathon in October. If nothing else, I want to focus in the months following my big race on my run distance, with my goal to be running a marathon next spring, and a full-IM in 2019 God willing.
2017-06-06 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Is your training log up to date?  I'm going to go under the assumption that it is, but if not, let me know and I'll revise my thoughts:

I think your overall volume is quite low for a HIM in July.  I'm not saying you can't make it, but I think it could be a struggle.  What day in July is the race?

Swim -- I like that you're trying to swim three days a week.  That's a great plan, especially if you can make all three days!  If you can swim 1900m (1.2 miles) and come out of the water as if it was simply an easy warm-up and not something that took a large effort out of you, you set yourself up for a good bike and run.  It may be the shortest part of the triathlon, but it is critical because if you "burn matches" on the swim, there really is no recovering on the bike and run. 

While you're building to the HIM, I would suggest making your swim sessions non-negotiable.  Strive for a minimum of 2000 each time you get in, and as you improve, see if you can get that up a bit more.  Instead of doing long, continuous swims, I'd suggest doing something more like 25's, 50's, and 100's, focusing on keeping your form good throughout.  You'll want to swim these a little faster than your race pace, but then give yourself time to recover so you can hold good form.  For example, if you can swim a single 100 in 2:00, try to do 10 of them, but leaving every 2:30 (so you'd get some rest such that you can maintain good form, but you string together a solid number of them throughout the session). 

Bike -- I like that you're doing trainer rides!  I do a lot of my riding on the trainer.  If the session is less than about two hours, I'll probably do it on the trainer because it's convenient and I can push myself hard.  Make sure that you're doing good interval sessions on the bike and not just loafing. 

That said, you do want to get outside for your long rides if possible.  Looking back through your logs, it looks like your longest ride ever is 41 miles from March 27th.  This simply isn't long enough to feel good after 56 miles and then want to get off and run a half marathon!  Over the next month (and a half??), I'd suggest trying to get in a couple trainer rides per week with good intervals, and get out for long rides on the weekends.  Ideally, you'd work yourself up to a 50+ mile long ride, and hopefully feel good coming off (no discomfort from bike fit issues, feeling fit enough that you'd be able to run 10-20 minutes off the bike). 

Run -- Keep working toward the BarryP program.  Keep the runs easy so you don't injure yourself.  But, in my opinion, the run is the least important of the three disciplines for someone who's looking to finish and have a good time.  If all else fails, you can walk....the same is not true of swimming, and not really true on the bike either.  But if you're able to do a walk/run plan, you can finish the HIM.  In fact, if you find yourself working too hard on a training run (for example, if your HR shoots up), you should train with a walk/run plan.  I see you've done that on some of your runs in the past.

Up until your HIM, I'd suggest getting in as many runs as you can without compromising your time swimming or biking.  Keep them easy and walk when you need to. 

2017-06-06 5:04 PM

User image

Thank you for your input. I have not entirely updated this past week, but otherwise it is accurate. I suppose that I was working off of a previous assumption/ instruction that if I was able to make 2/3 distance of the bike ride that I would be okay, but after my sprint I realize that I need to be a lot more on point with my nutrition ( cutting out pizza and beer with the hubs). I have read several articles on planning out my taper for the swim bike and run portion. I feel that the sprint triathlon really just felt like a cold wet tiring workout but the 12 miles of biking felt like nothing to me. What would be the best way to calculate my hydration needs in oz prior to race week. My average consumption has been around 68-100+ ounces a day. I used infinit endurance drink mix, but I had stomach cramping briefly about ten miles in.
My race is July 8th.
2017-06-06 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Hydration in the week leading up to the race?  Honestly, I don't do anything particularly different from normal....make sure you drink enough that your urine is a light yellow color basically all the time and you should be good.  The day/night before the race, you can up your salt intake (nothing excessive!).  But realistically, you shouldn't do anything overly different from what you did in your training....so start experimenting now!

As for nutrition during the race, that's another reason you want to be getting your long rides in -- so you can experiment with it in training.  When you said you used Infinit and had stomach issues ten miles in, was that ten miles into the bike during your sprint?  You can't take in as many calories on a sprint as you can during a HIM because you're working at a higher intensity.  

Nutrition is so individual that what works for me may not work for you.  That said, I prefer solid food plus an electrolyte drink over trying to take my nutrition in a purely liquid form.  Liquids work for some, but it's not my preference. 

2017-06-08 1:31 PM

User image

That was mile ten on my trainer, when I did a ride just over 25 miles- that was when I had the stomach cramping. I have ate clif bars and drank nunn mixed berry electrolyte drink and not had any issues. It was hard for me to remember to drink, but from what I have heard a lot of people say, is that if you wait until you are thirsty, then it's already too late. I know that clif products will be provided on the course. I felt like it was easier having solid foods. I might have to plan out where there is bathrooms lol. Gels and water work best for me on my half-marathons.
2017-06-08 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

One thing that you can do to remind yourself to eat and drink is to set a timer that goes off every 15 minutes or something like that.  Many people struggle to remember to eat and drink....and if you get behind, it can be very difficult to catch back up.  

Cliff bars and Nuun are both good options -- real, solid food, and a low-carb electrolyte drink.  Keep training with that and you'll set yourself up for a good race day!

2017-06-09 11:29 AM
in reply to: Kate Elliott

Hi Kate,

I am training for Calgary 70.3 (July 23) with an online coach. I find it difficult to get myself motivated to swim, even though it is my preferred sport of the three disciplines. I can't figure it out, but it's beginning to stress me out more than anything. I am a night owl and can't wake up in the morning to work out. I WANT to, but I just can't make it happen.

Right no, I am scheduled to swim 2x per week. I run 4x week, and bike 3x with one strength training session.

I currently live in Yellowknife and face a few challenges:
1. No masters swim club. I am doing this own my own, with my coaches plan. I just can't seem to make myself swim. In a four week period I swam five times. I feel guilty but find I am coming up with excuse after excuse.
2. I have a husband that works shift work, and two (15year old and 10 year old) daughters with many extra curricular activities
3. A mother with dementia and other health concerns.
4. Few athlete friends interested in my level of training to accompany on long rides or runs
5. I live in the sub-arctic. The environment can be dangerous.
6. I work full time.
7. My coach is my coach. I am finding motivation difficult to achieve.

If you are offering mentoring, I'm looking for it!

I am doing well in running, even though it is my 'reluctant' sport. I love biking but have had challenges getting my bike set up. I am almost all set and ready (waiting on a new handlebar) to just ride and enjoy without tinkering to make more comfortable. I don't think I'm going to make any amazing times for the race, I just want to complete it.

Sally
2017-06-12 3:32 PM
in reply to: Kate Elliott

Hi! I hope I can join your group

NAME: Trine (pronounced Trina for all non-Danes)

MY STORY: I’m completely new to triathlons and training for my first sprint on July 8th. My husband started this year too and has competed in two Olympic events so far. Of course, he’s one of those annoyingly athletic people. I, on the other hand, am not. I got inspired to try this after seeing all the sprint folks on their bikes and passing the finishing line – it made me realize that I too can do this, gosh darn it! I’m planning on using my hybrid bike (which is new and good quality, thank goodness) for this first event. I did splurge on a tri suit and a new pair of goggles. I don’t care much for running and feel like anything over 3 miles is pure torture, so a sprint seems to be a perfect fit. I grew up in Denmark, so riding a bike is second nature to me. And swimming, well, I took lessons when I was a kid and can easily swim breaststroke. Freestyle, on the other hand, is not my favorite and I realized just how bad I was at it when I went to swim train for the first time last week. Luckily, my husband went with me the next time, and while I’m certainly no pro, I can now make my way through the pool without swallowing all the water.

FAMILY STATUS: On my second marriage; one daughter (9); one bonus-daughter (7)

CURRENT TRAINING: I pulled this training plan from triradar.com http://triradar.com/Training_Plans/Build_Your_Foundation.pdf- it fit with the time I have to train and my fitness level (swim 200 m nonstop –of course, that’s breaststroke for me; cycle 45 min; run 20 min). If it looks totally gaga, let me know.

UPCOMING RACE: Colonial Beach on July 8th. I’m not signing up for anything else until afterwards.

WEIGHT LOSS: Not a priority - I've always been fairly active and super conscious of my weight (thanks, Mom! *sarcasm*). I've been doing circuit training kickboxing for the last 9 months - that's a pretty awesome workout, btw

MY BIGGEST WORRIES: Whether or not I need a wet suit (the average water temp is 76 F). If I can make the swim – maybe need to add an extra swim day. Finishing last – but, as the guy in my tri-shop said: think about the great favor you do the person finishing just before you
2017-06-17 3:47 AM
in reply to: Trine

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Can I play? I need some support/motivation

NAME: nathalie

MY STORY: got into tris 4 years ago, as a way of losing the few pounds I'd been accumulating since having to give up fun sport like soccer or karate due to unstable knees (if I do anything else than run in a straight line in a smooth manner (no abrupt stop or change of direction) they tend to "break"). 4 years and 5 sprints later, I haven't lost any weight, probably added a few more pounds even. Maybe considering trying an Oly next year. Maybe.
Born and raised in France. Came from England to Sweden 17 years ago.

FAMILY STATUS: husband son (12) 2 cats and a dog (my running partner)

CURRENT TRAINING: not following a plan. Maybe I should. Definitely would if I decided for an oly. Swim bike run and strength training 1 to 2 times a week each

UPCOMING RACE: end of august

WEIGHT LOSS: I wish...

MY BIGGEST WORRIES: Not so much of a worry but lack of motivation and consistency is my biggest enemy.

2017-06-17 5:42 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Welcome, Sally, Trine, and Nathalie!  

Sally -- have you made any progress on your lack of swim motivation?  I saw your post (and responded) about struggling for motivation to get up and train in the morning.  Have you made any progress with that?  Some people are naturally morning people (I'm one....and I don't like to do my training or anything late in the night....I'd go to bed at 8pm if I could!) and others are not.  It's really not a big deal one way or another, as long as you figure out when to get your training in.  We're all given 24 hours in a day....it's just a matter of figuring out when you can do things and what gets prioritized.  Getting your training in can help you deal with the stresses of other things in your life (as I imagine your mother's dementia probably causes you some stress).  Keep at it!

Trine -- how's your training coming for the July sprint?  How's the swimming coming along?  I would say that a wetsuit is not necessary at 76F....in fact, at that temperature, it may not even be "legal" (may be optional, but certainly not required).  As for finishing last, I just figure you're getting the most bang for your buck....the person who pays $100 for an hour of racing ($100/hr) doesn't get nearly the same deal as the person who pays $100 for two hours of racing ($50/hr)   

Nathalie -- sorry to hear about your knees, but hopefully triathlon can become a "fun sport" like you felt about soccer and karate.  I never thought I would enjoy running or become a triathlete, but when I started in 2012, I got seriously hooked!  What are you racing at the end of August?

2017-06-18 3:16 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hi Nicole, thank you for the welcome! Actually, racing is quite fun I have to admit. I like the atmosphere on race day.
The training however is quite tedious and boring. I know I would benefit from joining a training group but I like being able to train whenever and wherever I want.
Doing a sprint (400m 20k 5k) in my little village in South Sweden where I live. The start and the swim is a 5 minute walk from my house and the run will pass it twice.

I did it last year and it didn't go well at all, apart from the swim. I didn't wear a wetsuit because it was quite warm and I thought I would save a few seconds in T1 but I think that I missed its buoyancy and it took too much energy. The bike was very slow, partly because my tyres were a little deflated (missing the right bit on my pump and of course, I realised that on race day!). The run includes a very steep (for me) which I walked both times.

This year, the plan is
1)wear my wetsuit if it's allowed (it will be allowed, it's never that warm in the water over here)
2)check pressure tyre In good time and fix it (i have now the right part)
3)practice that hill. (Started last week)

I have been feeling a little under the weather so training has been quite soft this week (but I still did a little bit to keep going and not lose the momentum)
2017-06-19 9:50 AM

So, I've checked the website and the wetsuit is legal until 76 and you can still use it up to 84 (but there was some kind of penalty, not that it matters to me ). But, I've decided to not worry about it and just do the swim in my swanky trisuit.

As for the swimming, I went on Wednesday last week and my daughter's old swim coach took a look at my stroke and gave me some drills, some tips to correct my wide arms (who knew pretending to close zippers up your side would work with that) and she sent me some youtube videos for the parts where I need a little more help. To calm myself, I decided to swim the full 750 in one go on Friday just using breaststroke. I kept it at an easy and conservative pace and finished in 20 minutes with plenty of energy left. Then I swam another 700 practicing my freestyle (kicking, pull float and some more breaststroke when I swallowed too much water).

I biked on Saturday (22 miles) and did a brick on Sunday (19 miles on the bike + 30 min stumbling). My first one. Boy was that tough! I don't know how you do longer distances!

I have to admit that getting a watch to track everything (even if it was the cheap refurbished vivoactive from amazon) is a huge help - I love data. Love, love, love it!

Anyway, I made all 6 of my workout days and am enjoying my rest day today like you wouldn't believe it. And I'm pretty excited to see how I do this week compared to last
2017-06-19 3:17 PM
in reply to: Trine

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Nice one on the swimming Trine! On the rest too, mind you! Good work!

Normally my day off is on Mondays but as I didn't do much last week (had a minor cold, kept training but with (even) less intensity), I did a quick interval session on the stationary bike today.
Tomorrow will be a day off as I am not allowed to eat much before my colonoscopy on Wednesday (I do know how to have a good time, don't I?) and no way I can train on 500 calories all day. Hoping to be able to go for run in the evening after the procedure (if I don't have too much of a sore a**)

2017-06-20 3:17 PM

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Nice one on the swimming Trine! On the rest too, mind you! Good work!

Normally my day off is on Mondays but as I didn't do much last week (had a minor cold, kept training but with (even) less intensity), I did a quick interval session on the stationary bike today.
Tomorrow will be a day off as I am not allowed to eat much before my colonoscopy on Wednesday (I do know how to have a good time, don't I?) and no way I can train on 500 calories all day. Hoping to be able to go for run in the evening after the procedure (if I don't have too much of a sore a**)

Well, at least now I know I can do the full swim and survive.

Good luck with the colonoscopy tomorrow - hope it goes... smoothly

2017-06-21 4:33 AM
in reply to: #5208405

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Great that you can do the distance in the pool but I would strongly recommend you try ows before the race. It's a whole different thing!
2017-06-21 2:36 PM

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Great that you can do the distance in the pool but I would strongly recommend you try ows before the race. It's a whole different thing!

I know I grew up swimming in the Adriatic Sea. But I'm still going to an OWS event this event to practice since sighting is new to me
2017-06-21 7:42 PM

User image

I did a 31 mile bike ride ( hoping to go 50) and started getting dizzy and throwing up a little. I think I will need to use infinit instead of water for my hydration, and I brought a honey stingers waffle and two gels and I still felt bonked. BAD. I have never thrown up on a bike ride before. Any tips? I feel like because of my size, ( and that my garmin told me I burned over 1400 calories on 2:40 bike ride, I might need some more options, or a crap-ton more of gels.
2017-06-22 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by anime_lover1992 I did a 31 mile bike ride ( hoping to go 50) and started getting dizzy and throwing up a little. I think I will need to use infinit instead of water for my hydration, and I brought a honey stingers waffle and two gels and I still felt bonked. BAD. I have never thrown up on a bike ride before. Any tips? I feel like because of my size, ( and that my garmin told me I burned over 1400 calories on 2:40 bike ride, I might need some more options, or a crap-ton more of gels.

What time of day did you do this ride?  If it was first thing in the morning, did you eat and drink anything before going for the ride?  If it was later in the day, how was your diet and hydration going into the ride?  What was the weather like and how about the terrain (hilly, flat, lots of traffic, lots of turns, etc.)? 

How much water/Infinit did you have on you and how many waffles / gels?  Did you eat and drink on a schedule, or did you wait until you felt thirsty or hungry (i.e. was it evenly distributed over the 2:40 or did you "dig yourself a hole and then try to catch up")? 

We'll need some more info to be able to offer any real help, but I can tell you what works for me.  For training, I carry three bottles, generally with Skratch in them (similar to Nuun) and will re-fill with water if/when that time comes.  I drink when I'm thirsty, but it's usually pretty consistent (i.e. I don't go a long time between drinking and then chug down the entire bottle or anything).  I also use Honey Stinger Waffles on the bike, but I cut them into quarters and will grab one ever 15-25 minutes, even if I don't "feel" hungry.  This is all applicable to times when I'm riding more than two hours....less than two hours, I usually don't need food and/or am working at an intensity hard enough that food would upset my stomach. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Women Ready to Tri - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22

Started by Dominion
Views: 27703 Posts: 534

2017-12-27 3:42 PM Dominion

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41240 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38376 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : July 26, 2012
author : juliapurr
comments : 2
Learn what to do and what not to do during your taper. Learn how to taper best if you have multiple races on your schedule.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I'm not sure if one of these models is better, both are from 2009 aluminum/carbon combinations. I realize this is a difficult question but any thoughts as which bike is better for a woman?
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.